Sign in with
Your question

External Drive on the Blink- Need copy util

Last response: in Storage
July 9, 2012 12:28:29 PM

Hello
I'm having issues with a Freeagent external drive. Errors popup randomly and it's integrity is in doubt. It seems to occur more frequently in the last day or so. If I recycle the drive it will work again for a period of time.

I do graphics and design work and Luckily I have my recent work backed up, and most of my old work is as well but I have +300gb of resource materials, textures and video clips, various programs, music, and graphics. Much of this are in ISO format that I mount when I need them.

I have been trying to back them up using the standard windows copy, and in some cases if the folders I am trying to copy aren't too large I'm successful. I just can not seem to complete large copies successfully, and ISO's are large as you know.

I wish to avoid having to ripping/downloading my software again so I'm posting to see if anyone had suggestions for a utility I might try to copy large files.

And please I do not want to use backup software. I have had bad experiences more than once when with "packaged" backup data files failed and lost everything in it. I prefer individual images and copies.

Thanks very much!
a b G Storage
July 9, 2012 1:09:39 PM

TestDisk, Data Recovery
TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk Step By Step to recover lost partitions and repair damaged FAT/NTFS boot sector
Recover deleted files from NTFS partition

NOTE If seeked lost file are still missing, give PhotoRec a try. PhotoRec is a signature based file recovery utility and may be able to recover your data where other methods failed.

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.
July 9, 2012 1:31:00 PM

Thanks very much for the reply. When I get home I will try this.
Have a great day
July 10, 2012 12:14:49 AM

Hello

I ran the basic discovery tools to get information about my drive before doing anything else. During the initial process it hung and windows threw it's usual message when it fails
Please see the link, maybe it will tell you more about the problem than I get out of it.

I will continue to work with testdisk to discover what else I can.

Thanks!

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u460/venger1600/err...
!