Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
My question may be common right now but here it goes

Why all of a sudden should we all go DDR3 ? From all the games and apps iv seen so far nothing demands it right now.

There is no game that says core i5 and 1 or 2 GB DDR3 Ram required.

Yes it is to ensure that we future proof blah blah and that its bandwith is higher less latency's get a core i7,only thing that makes the core i7 great is 4 threads extra than a quad core without that it would just be a quad core and minor enhancments.

its amazing how before we all said great things about DDR2 now its dead,I don't think it will go for a couple more years.

Well, all the new CPU sockets such as AM3, LGA 1156 & LGA 1366 only use DDR3 memory, and there's not much point making a new computer using old technology, especially when newer and faster technology is available. (Why go with a new Q9550/DDR2 build instead of a Core i5 750/DDR3 build, seeing as they are priced similarly, and the Core i5 750 build has new/more features and is faster?)

Besides, DDR2 is getting more expensive and DDR3 is getting cheaper.

DDR3 can run at higher speeds as well which is what you'd need for faster and faster processors, although the latencies are also higher as well.

The reason why the Core i7 is better than a Core 2 Quad is because of it's faster clock for clock, cache for cache architecture.

The Core i5 750 is a Core i7 860 without Hyper-Threading, and is essentially, a 'quad core with minor enhancements', yet it still manages to beat the Q9550 in nearly every benchmark I saw at Anandtech - there were just two benchmarks in which the more expensive Core 2 Quad Q9550 beat the Core i5 750.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

DDR-3 is the standard memory controller on each proccessor and affect speeds of data from RAM to CPU and Hard Drive. Higher the speed the more data going through the bus pipelines, plus you don't want to bottleneck your Computer. Try Benchmarking your system with MS Vista or Windows 7 and takea look at your performance have your ram and cpu and hard drive in the same rating category!

If you haven't gone DDR3 yet, I would wait. Imo, DDR3 is dated. I think we'll see DDR4 beginning 2011 and quad channel memory will be mainstream. AMD has been using quad channel memory on their 8 and 12 core processors for quite some time now.

dated?

most websites are giving DDR4 a 2012 date for launch so I doubt we will be seeing and DDR4 anytime soon.

"Qimonda has already chalked out plans for a smooth transition to DDR4 PC memory. According to Qimonda's development plan, DDR4 would be out by 2012. The memory standard will operate at (DDR) frequencies as high as 2,667 MHz at an approximate voltage of 1.2 V and by 2013, we could be seeing 3000Mhz MHz memory at 1.0 V, a phase during which there's a transition between the current DDR3 and future DDR4 PC memory standards."

did you mean 2011 or 2012?

Well considering how shorlived triple channel memory will be and the fact that AMD skipped it completely and went right to quad, I was thinking DDR3 may only be the standard for another year or so.

Maybe I'm one of the few but I'm skipping DDR3 and triple channel.

yea, I guess if you can wait till DDR4 is released it would be a smarter move then upgrading to DDR3. I guess at this point in time the only logical reason to upgrade to DDR3 is if you are upgrading the motherboard. Out of 4 PC's that I currently own only one uses DDR3, the rest are either DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 and I don't see myself upgrading those anytime soon.

G

HA 2012 for DDR4 perfect, will see out the two years with my new DDR3 1600Mhz on Asus AM3..

OP, Did you ask the same question with DDR memory when DDR2 came out and will you ask it again once DDR5 is looming on the horizon!

Progress is progress, sometimes yes, just for progress sake!

All I want is SSD drives to come down in price, that is where the speed improvements can be made to every PC right now, just not prepared to pay such prices for a product that will drop in price in time due to uptake, a year is not long to wait for it!

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Look at DDR3 like windows vista, vista was just a tester for windows 7 to come out much like DDR 3 is right now so They can bring out DDR 4, All im saying is there is no application right now demanding performance like that.So DDR2 is still alive and feel its more than enough still,What makes your case cool is the flashing lights when an application comes out asking for core i3,i5,i7,DDR3 il upgrade