Wanting to build a new system

Stripes

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Hey Folks at Tom's HardWare. Just registered here, I used many reviews from this place from time before, figured I may as well register for this question.

I'm wanting to build a new system this summer after I turn 16, and things get less busy prior, and after that stage. I don't know what my budget will be, but probably $500.00 max. I want to be able to play the newest FPS games that are out, and yet to come out. I'm mainly into the Call of Duty & Battle Field series. There's a new CoD coming out, the 7th one, and I don't imagine it will take much or more than any of the current CoD games. So pretty much, want to be able to play the latest CoD game with 0 lag...thus preparing for the future (I currently have put up with a 2600 single core system my entire gaming era, and that is DEFINITELY a lag challenge for me that I have put up with far too long. Just this money thing comes in at all times I want to do something. And it's not gonna go away any time soon, with me turning 16 soon.

Anyhow, enough story time, I wanna know what's the prime bang for the buck parts out there as of May, 2010? I assume an AMD...Phenom II? That 6 core deal sure is hawt, but a lil pricey...to my surprise very cheap, especially compared to what intel's 6 core WILL be, lol. With that, the 770 motherboards would probably work (the Phenom II x4 and under...not x6) but will that chipset be as good as it is in the next few years?