Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanB

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
So I've had my custom PC for about 5 months and i have noticed that windows 7 has gotten significantly slower at starting up and shutting down. I have a 500gb caviar green hard drive and i only have about 60gb left, i want an 128gb ssd to move my OS and cs5 master suite to. I have never used an SSD, so i'm not to sure which ones are good/bad. I've looked at the Vertex 4 and Intel 520, i've also read that the Samsung 830 is really good. I only have a Sata 2 motherboard but i am looking to upgrade in the future:) Which SSD should i get and why? Please don't just tell me to look at benchmarks, i want to hear from people who have used them.

Solution
The image is for BACKUP in case you have a problem that requires you to re-install windows. Like insurance, If you do not have and need it .......

Some like to do a periodic "clean Install" (once a year), and this image is basically a clean instal, but much faster.
YOU are RIGHT, to not use benchmarks!!, Use reliability/Least user problems.
.. My choice is the Samsung 830, and the Curcial M4. Both can be had for around $115 on sale at newegg.
.. Performance wise on sata II you will see NO diff between the better Sata III SSDs.
.. When you move to SATA III, in real Life usage, very little difference.
.. The lower end, which uses Async NAND (ie Agility III, and IV, Muskin Low end) will be a
little lower in real life.
.. Vertex IV has not need out long enought to get a real feel for Reliability/user Problems.

I have:
2 x 128 Gig Curcial M4s (one on a Sata II Port- OS, and one just a storage drive), and a 256 Gig M4, OS drive. - Bought on sale at Newegg for $180.
2 x 128 Gig Samsung 830 (Both as a storage drive), and a 256 Gig Samsung 830, OS drive - Also Bought on sale at Newegg for $180.
2 x Agillity IIIs - Backup OS drive for Wife's system, Sata II port. 2nd one was a storge drive.

Current price @ Newegg:
M4 (w/xfer kit) - $120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148448
.. Can Buy at $129 + tax locally at Staples
.. $ $110 @ http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT128M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JKZI
830 Bare drive - $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163

For about $60 More you can move up to a 256 Gig M4/830, But would require watching closely for sale on newegg.

JuanB

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Ok thank you:) It think i might end up buying the 128gb Samsung 830, but i will wait to hear from people who have the vertex 4 as I've read many mixed reviews about them.

Performance wise the vertex 4 is up there with the other high performers, as I ststed a little to early to get a true feel on "User" problems..
Miight take a look at OCZs support, ie firmware upgrade - do they offer a "bootable" cd method, or is it only thru windows. OCZ got hit real hard on their initial SATA III drives - They blamed the "user" for the Firmware probles they had and it took them about 8 Months to fix. Some, Like Me, even though the NEWER SSDs are OK, will NOT buy an OCZ SSD.

Great deal!!!

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

was: $144.99 -> $129.99 ->$89.99 - use coupon code EMCYTZT1880

FREE SHIPPING

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=1727683&SID=170911
20-147-163-Z03

kab1985

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

It's a good performer, but you'll find other drives that run *slightly* faster. Not usually worth the extra cost. If you can get the 830at $90 like Nikorr posted, you'd be getting a steal. The difference in SSD performance isn't very noticeable unless you're looking at bench-marking data.

Tom's had it rated as the best performance SSD for $145 last month.

JuanB

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Thank you guys, I will be definatley be buying the Samsung 830. Also, my OS is on my harddrve, how can I move it? I was thinking of just installing my OS on the SSD, installing all the drivers then putting my harddrive back on and uninstalling windows 7, or do I need to format my harddrive?

I prefer the Clean install when going from HDD -> SSD, There are a couple of programs that will do a OK job on migrating the HDD-> SSD. However the Clean install does insure:
.. Partition Alginment
.. Enableing of Trim
.. A CLEAD/Fresh registry.

For the Clean Install:
.. 1) Disconnect the HDD, and connect SSD.
.. 2) When powering on, go to Bios and verify that the Bios is set to AHCI.
.. 3) Install windows on SSD
.. 4) When done, power off reconnect HDD
.. 5) Power on, Go to Bios and verify that boot order is set to SSD

Note: Hold off a week before deleting the OS from the HDD, want to verify that SSD is GOOD. Until you delete windows on HDD you should be able to daul boot to SSD or HDD by simply pressing the Key that brings up a Boot menu. Ex. For my Gigabyte MB it's F12 and for My Asrock MB it is F11. This does NOT change Bios boot priority, So if you have booted to the HDD and reboot it will boot back to the SSD unless you again hit KEY for boot menu. This is NOT a software Boot manager that can later mess you up.

JuanB

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I want to keep all my programs (some of them i've bought and have licenses which i'm not sure i can re-use), is there a way i can uninstall Windows 7 only? but keep all my files & programs?

The Only way is to Migrate/clone the OS from the HDD -> SSD.
You can not just move programs from one OS to another as the require installing to place entries into the registry.

I've used to programs that do a pretty good job of migrating/cloning the OS fro a HDD -> SSD. Often you can find the SSD with a "Transfer Kit"

Programs I've used.
EZ Gig II (They are upto IV). This came fre with either my M4 or 830. Cannot remember which. It's about $20 as you need a iadaptor (The program is free)
Program: http://www.apricorn.com/products/software/ezgig.html
Adaptor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161004

EasyUS is the 2nd program and is free, does not require an iadaptor.
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

JuanB

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
can i just keep the OS on the harddrive and default boot on SSD? I have just ordered the SSD - basic kit. It comes with a ghosting software so i think i'll use that :)

That would be counterproductive. U want your system be faster or as fast as rest of the PC.

JuanB

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
It's ok, i don't mind doing a clean install:) My windows 7 is about 5 months old (OEM). The programs i have are the CS5 master suite, bunch of games (i think i can use the key again though), game maker 8 pro, ableton live, traktor 2, some plugins for those programs and probably some more i can't remember.

Wait untill after you have installed windows 7 on the SSD (see above on steps for clean install).

added: As soon as you are satisfied that the SSD is working, Go to control Panel, System and Security and select back up. Make an Image file of your SSD (C-drive). This will allow you to:
Re-install windows inabout 10->15 minutes and walla, reboot to windows with all programs and drivers - exactly as your system was when you made the image.

popatim

Titan
No, you make an image of the SSD once you have installed and updated windows and the programs you want to be on the SSD. This way you can reinstall all that real fast.

Whoever said you'll install and update win7 in 2-3hrs is dreaming. That gave me a good laugh.

Dude, I wrote all of it, including the programs, updates and drivers and set it to final condition with back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.