Sign in with
Your question

Help with LCD monitor speakers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2010 11:16:42 PM

Ok, So I bought this 19" envision LCD monitor, and it has built in speakers. I have it connected to my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525) via a VGA cable. I want to know how I can get sound through the speakers on the external monitor. The ones in my laptop are working, but I feel like the monitor speakers would be a little better. Now, here's the problem.... On the back of the monitor, there are only 2 plugs - 1) Power, and 2) VGA.
Does audio travel through a VGA cable??? Any help on this would be great. I am planning on buying external speakers soon, I was just wondering what was going on here. Thanks.

More about : lcd monitor speakers

a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 10:49:36 AM

I don't think the monitor has speakers, what model is it?
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 11:11:12 AM

" He just said it HAS speakers"

The Monitor has a headphone like socket, either behind it or on the side, check where you put the VGA cable from the laptop to the monitor, it has to be some where there.
You'll need a cable ( Most probably it came with the monitor) which has two headphone like jacks (Plugs) insert one into your laptop line out or headphone out socket and the other end into the monitors audio input socket.
Be careful not to insert the headphone jack into the mic socket on the laptop.....

If it's there the socket is right next to the VGA socket at the back of the monitor. Check again... and do give the model of the LCD. Full model, not just the make......and size.....

PS: NO, the audio signal does not travel through the VGA cable, it's only the HDMI cable that is capable of carrying both Audio and Video.And for another note, the monitors speakers aren't going to be better than those in the laptop, although getting the sound from where the picture is being seen is always a better way to watch a movie....lol
But believe me, unless you get one of those gaming HiFi Bass Booster Dome sort of LCDs..... the sound is not better than the laptop's.

Your plan to buy external speakers later on is fine for the job at hand, they'll work well.
Related resources
April 23, 2010 12:19:26 AM

Hi. Sorry, the model number is H19W, and I have checked all over it, and there is not a 3.5mm audio jack to be found. I will take your word on the laptop speakers and wit until I have externals instead of worrying about it. Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 12:33:11 AM

H19W doesn't have speakers. L19W has.
April 23, 2010 1:14:22 AM

Oh ok. Thanks. :) 
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 6:36:15 AM

Lol..... Einstein

!