Click of death from an old hard drive?

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
I have an old WD WD2500 250GB drive that I plug into a docking station connected to my computer and it never makes itself available on my computer, though it makes a series of clicking sounds, pauses and clicks again and continues this over and over again.

Anyone have any ideas what this means and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

Those are the classic symptoms of a bad hard drive.
Just to rule out that it is/isn't a problem with the docking station, try hooking-up the hard drive to a connector inside the case instead of using the docking station. I doubt that that will make a difference, but it is worth a try.

kathayes

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
It is a Windows formatted drive, though I'm trying to access it on a Mac. Normally, I do not have any problems accessing Windows formatted drives on my Mac.

1. Any idea if there is diagnostics software available to run on a Mac to test this drive?
2. Assuming it is dead, what options do I have? Is there anyway to recover data from it?

Thanks for the replies!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
If the Hard Drive is clicking at identical intervals then it means the bearing is bad on the hard drive.

If it's clicking intermittently it's possible that the read head is damaged or the surface of the internal platter(s) is damaged. Have you dropped the hard drive recently?

Otherwise if the drive is healthy it's just inaccessible to the Mac and it's making that sound because it's old and the read head actuator is worn. My bet is that the drive is dead.