Status
Not open for further replies.

McMissile

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
So I just put together my new computer, and the temps that its running at are starting to worry me a little. Everything is running on stock fans, and my case is Coolermaster HAF 912.

The two components that are giving me trouble:

-Intel Core i5-750
-Nvidia GeForce GTX 470

At Idle everything seems fine - the CPU stays at around 33c, and the GPU maintains about 40c.
But in games, like Battlefield Bad Company 2, for instance, my GPU gets to around 85c and I watched in horror as Core 0 of my i5-750 peaked at 74c...

I know the GTX 470 runs hot, but this seems a little extreme, and there's no way the i5 should be reaching these temps.
Do the stock fans naturally suck this much? Or is there something wrong here?

Thank you.

Solution
85C is normal for a 470 use msi afterburner if you want to adjust the fan profile to make it cooler. If you are using dual screens it will be running in 'high' mode all of the time and will be hot, i've installed a GT210 to power the second monitor the 470 now idles properly and is not hot.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
"The maximum operating temperature of the Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor is 72.7 degrees Celsius. As long as the processor is operating under this temperature it is operating within specifications."
I got the above from intel support.
I wonder if you have set the cpu cooler properly? Are you using a stock cpu cooler? If so you may consider changing to cooler master hyper 212 plus, or cooler master hyper TX3 if you need to save a few bucks. 212 is about 30.00 and the TX3 is around 20.
As far as the 470 goes I know they can run in that range. I am not sure you mentioned the card mfg but if you have the ability to set the fan to manual and raise the fan speed in the card software you could do that. I set most of my cards to 75% and just leave them there and find that they operate great at that setting. You will hear the fan tho, but the sound of fans humming along is a good sound, right?
If you have ay doubts that you set the cpu cooler improperly double check it sooner rather than later. It should be very tight on the board and if you used the stock cooler the paste shouldnt be an issue, IE too much or not enough, although the quality isn't great it should provide the required thermal protection between the two parts.

rand486

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
As silly as this sounds, a friend of mine once thought he had installed the cpu heatsink/fan properly, but later realized only three of the 4 motherboard "hooks" had actually secured.

His heatsink wasn't properly secured. When he fixed it, and resecured the fourth corner, his temps dropped over 20 degrees.

What cpu heatsink/fan are you using?

McMissile

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Okay - a little good news... I took off my old thermal paste and applied a little dot in the center like mdd1963 suggested... (I had way too much on before) And now my CPU temps are staying around the upper 50s in Bad Company II..

The only other concern I have is my GPU temp.. My GTX 470 peaked at about 87... Seems a little hot?

85C is normal for a 470 use msi afterburner if you want to adjust the fan profile to make it cooler. If you are using dual screens it will be running in 'high' mode all of the time and will be hot, i've installed a GT210 to power the second monitor the 470 now idles properly and is not hot.

Solution

McMissile

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010

That was... just WOW. That was beautiful. I used afterburner and set my gpu fan to different levels as my temp increased.. and it brought it down over 15c... WOW. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.