Sign in with
Your question

Alien ware= best choice?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 21, 2010 1:06:35 AM

allright, since my computer is sh*t,
im thinking of getting an alienware desktop, Alienware -Area 51

http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/popups/popup_sys_detail...

if i got that, would i be set for a few years and be able to play recent games?

heres the computer if you cant acces the other one

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/alienware-area-...

More about : alien ware choice

a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 1:32:19 AM

Yes, but so would a less expensive DIY PC, or even something from another maker. It all depends on the actual components chosen.

Most enthusiasts and gamers replace or upgrade their machines within 2 years as technology usually advances enough within that time frame to warrant doing so. Today's killer enthusiast rig will often end up being a mid to low-end gamer configuration in a couple years time. There's really no such thing as "future-proof" when it comes to computers.
m
l
April 21, 2010 1:40:52 AM

the things ive chosen are

CHASSIS COLOR Cosmic Black, Alienware Area-51 Chassis edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 930 (2.8GHz, 8MB Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Year Basic Service Plan edit
In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis: *Remote Diagnosis is determination by online/phone technician of cause of issue; may involve customer access to inside of system and multiple or extended sessions. If issue is covered by Limited Hardware Warranty and not resolved remotely, technician and/or part will be dispatched, usually in 1 or 2 business days following completion of Remote Diagnosis. Dell sells In-Home Service provided by the following: Dell In-Home Service provided by Dell Marketing L.P.; BancTec In-Home Service provided by BancTec Third Party Maintenance, Inc.; and QualxServ In-Home Service provided by QualxServ LLC. Third parties may be used to deliver the in-home service. Availability varies. Other conditions apply. For complete details about In-Home Service, visit www.dell.com/servicecontracts
VIDEO CARD Dual 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260 - SLI® Enabled edit
MEMORY 6GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 2GB) Tri Channel Memory edit
MONITOR 21.5” Alienware AW2210 OptX™ Full HD Gaming Monitor edit
HARD DRIVE 640GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD edit
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100 edit
KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard edit
My Accessories
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee® VirusScan Plus – 30-Day Free Trial (English) edit
AUTOMATIC UPDATES Automatic Updates: Enabled edit
My Software & Accessories
ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Astral Aqua edit
WALLPAPER Alien Red Glyphs edit
PRE-INSTALLED GAMES AND CLIENTS Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed edit
AUDIO OPTIONS Logitech Z523 2.1 Speaker System edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Alienware Area-51 Alienware Area-51
COOLING OPTION Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling
Adobe Reader Software Adobe Acrobat Reader
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 2:01:16 AM

Replace that GTX260 with something far more current if you truly want it to last more than another year. DirectX 11 will be out for a full year come this fall, and that GTX260 GPU debuted more than a year ago and doesn't support it. Consider an ATI HD5850/5870 instead as they're far more current and much more powerful, possibly even in CrossfireX configuration(s). I'd include a GTX470 or 480 in that sentence, but they're essentially unavailable presently.

Have you considered any other boutiques, such as Falcon Northwest, Origin PC, AVADirect, or even CyberPower? You may find similar systems from them more affordable, or packing far greater punch than a similarly priced Alienware system. Alienware just isn't what it used to be, but it's still overpriced like it's always been.

Just my opinion...
m
l
April 21, 2010 2:21:29 AM

mm well, the aurora alienware is a bit cheaper, could get radeon hd 5970 on it, sems like that would last a while
m
l
April 21, 2010 2:25:46 AM

Im unhappy with my Alienware somewhat. It has lasted many years (the good) but the customer service is in India and Im almost certain the guy I spoke to had never even seeen an Alienware let alone had one in front of him.

Im leaning toward trying a brand with US Customer service next.

But I LOVVE my Liquid Cooling so thats a must for me.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:10:03 AM

Prebuild systems tend to look and function wonderfully in the beginning, but if you are the type of person who upgrades often, it is sometimes a pain.

Weak PSU, newer GPUs can't fit into the cases... etc....

Sometimes a DIY built computer is better now and in the long run.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:36:49 AM

^ A DIY Build is better in all cases (except for mission critical servers,etc).

As far as pre-built systems goes, +1 for Falcon NW. They have THE best customer service hands down. However, they also have the highest prices.... perhaps except Apple. :lol: 

Btw, the Liquid cooling in those pre built systems is NOT REAL Watercooling.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:49:37 AM

Build-your-own is cheaper, and provides you with higher quality and more powerful parts.

Or instead of Alienware, try Digital Storm or Vigoor Gaming...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 3:57:54 AM

Racer said:
Im unhappy with my Alienware somewhat. It has lasted many years (the good) but the customer service is in India and Im almost certain the guy I spoke to had never even seeen an Alienware let alone had one in front of him.

Im leaning toward trying a brand with US Customer service next.

But I LOVVE my Liquid Cooling so thats a must for me.

The Alienware high performance liquid cooler is a rebranded Asetek LCLC.
It is no where near the league of real water cooling.

For $2,100+ starting you should get no less then a true water cooling CPU loop.
I would recommend you look to building it yourself, or talking with the pre-built system dealer for discounts..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 12:00:17 PM

Alienware overcharges way too much; Falcon NW, Cyberpower, Digitial Storm Online, Velocity Micro, and even ibuypower are cheaper, and generalyl give more config options.

Personally, check each site, and look for the best deals.
m
l
April 21, 2010 5:02:04 PM

I boughpt an alienware back in july and the system was to top notch. I recently iupgraded it, but it is a quality system no doubt. The only problem can be that when I call support if i have a question there are 2 things..
1. I think im more familiar with the technology than their tech support team and 2
sometimes it hard to understand their support reps..

they are helpful but I get the impression they are novices..not that im an expert, but I feel I know more simply based on how the conversation goes..

but a good system never the less
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 5:07:46 PM

I do have to say that if you do a DIY system you get no tech support where as with Alienware you atleast get some support.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 5:39:35 PM

deweycd said:
I do have to say that if you do a DIY system you get no tech support where as with Alienware you atleast get some support.

?? How do you not get tech support. I can call my motherboard mnf for motherboard support, AMD for CPU, Patriot for RAM, Corsair for CPU cooler, Samsung for HDD, Cooler master for case, Tuniq for PSU (or Corsair). Heck I even had 30 days free technical support from Microsoft when I purchased my W7 license.

Most of my warranty periods begin at 1 year, others hit 3 years, and one hits lifetime..
Motherboard 2 yrs parts/labor... USA Support, great tech support btw. Biostar
PSU: 3 years (1st year=new replacement not a refurb or repair).. Havent had to contact them but I doubt their support is any good. Corsair PSU: 5 years. Support top notch.
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50=2 years. Corsair tech support=rocks.
CPU: 3 years.... AMD.. what can I say. They bend over for the customer lol.
RAM: Lifetime. Haven't had to contact them. But I hear Patriot's support is so-so.
GPU: refurb so only 90 days warranty but normally 2 years+ is the standard in the industry. MSI's support is pretty good.
DVD Drive: 1 year.. LG, support is great.
Blu-ray: 1 year. Lite-on, so so support.

Alienware warranty: 1 year with India-based support? No thank you.
(nothing wrong outsourcing, just give me someone who knows what they're talking about)

I recommend looking at many of the other companies recommended above.
m
l
April 21, 2010 9:54:24 PM

damn, cyberpower would be amazing, but they dont deliver to canada
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2010 10:01:12 PM

Ibuypower is cyberpowerpc's sister company. Cyberpower themselves have recomended to Canadians to buy their systems from Tigerdirect or newegg.ca . I just did a quick check, newegg.ca is not stocking any , buy Tigerdirect is. It seems only Ibuypower right now.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/catego...
If costs were the same, I would feel comfortable buying a Alienware. They make a nice rig.
m
l
!