Corsair Airflow Fan & Memory Temps safe?

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Hi all,

I just got a set of new memories for my build - the Corsair Dominator GT + Airflow Fan. I'm wondering if there are any recommendations of what the temps on the ram modules should be on idle and load. My Airflow Fan is connected to the fan controller and hovers around 900rpm, is that adquite? Is the Airflow Fan necessary?

Thanks in advance

Q - Are you OC the RAM > spec? Most of the Corsairs Fans are rated at 3,500 RPM and in mine it's running ~1,500~2,000 RPM. I OC both the CPU + RAM. So the answer depends.

Set your Fan Controller a little higher. If you are running at Rated Frequency & CAS with blank DIMM slots in between then with or without the RAM Fan the RAM will not overheat if there's adequate case airflow.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Thank you for helping me out. I haven't OCd the RAM and as for the model: 2x2 GB DDR3 2000MHz (p/n: CMT4GX3M2A2000C8)

Initially the fan was connected to the pwr_fan which forced the fans to run at full speed (~3600rpm) but now I replaced it to the fan controller due to the loud noise the fans were making. It's now hovering around 900-1000rpm. Is that OK? or should I expect other fan speeds if I connect the fan to a pwm fan slot on the motherboard?

How could I monitor the ram temps and more importantly, what is considered safe?

Typically, that's one of the two MOBO headers I recommend, some MOBOs allow for BIOS speed control and others for a fan speed control App a/k/a MOBO utility to control fan speed(s).

If you have one kit then anything blowing on it is fine. The 2X2GB don't run hot even at Rated speeds, the 2X4GB run warmer, and 4X4GB @ 2000 MHz + OC do start run toasty.

That fan is meant to allow you to OC the RAM > rated frequencies & CAS, and when OC the CPU with 'BCLK' > 160~200+. That's when you really need the fan.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Right, I think I've got it.

On the side note, I've got one sys_fan slot available on the mobo. It's a 3 pin slot with the following outlay:

pin no. definition
---------------------
1. GND
2. +12V
3. Sense

There is no speed control from what I can see so there is no point in repositioning the cable. Can the computer infact monitor the temps of the ram, hence controlling the speed of fan blowing on it?

No, it's not necessary. The fan and the heat spreaders themselves are a remnant of days gone by.....mostly those tall heat spreaders are still around call they look cool rather than the are needed to cool. The liquid cooled Ascent modules (last ones I saw were on Mushkin Redlines about 18 months back, were about the last ones where differences of significance could be measured.

Today's RAM modules produce less heat .... biggest danger here is heat generated by other components within the system. As long as you have a decent case w/ no "dead air" spots, shouldn't be a problem.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Well I don't think there's a problem in that area. I've got the 800D case with:

- 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon (1850rpm) mounted on top acting as exhaust (3rd slot occupied by corsair h50 radiator + fan (intake)

- 1x Corsair fan mounted at the back (exhaust)

- 1x Corsair fan mounted at the bottom (intake)

- 1x Corsair fan mounted on one side of the hdd cage (intake)

furthermore, the usual stuff, ram fans, gfx fan and psu fan. So essentially all the slots are occupied and there SHOULD be enough ventilation. Naturally the hot air rises so the fans are practically helping speeding up the process.

I noticed that when the ram fans were operating at 3600rpm the northbridge temp was as low as 35 degrees (idle), now it's on 43 degrees with ram fans at ~900rpm.

If you want your RAM fan to act inpart to control the NB temps then your going to need a good fan controller that has good 'software'/'firmware' to control the fan(s) behavior. The NB Tcase max is 105C.

I use the Koolance TMS-200. Otherwise use your controller and keep it spinning at '900-1000rpm' or faster. Connecting it to your MOBO 'NB_Fan' header can be tried, but the behavior of the fan is unknown.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, thats why all of my exhaust fans (and ram) are controlled by the fan controller and the rest (intake fans) connected to the mobo.