SATA 3 SSD on SATA 2 Board

aydee

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
Hey I'm a big gamer, and I make Gaming video's, I currently have my OS on a 7200 RPM Drive 1TB and a seperate (D) 500GB 720RPM Drive for extra storage. I record with fraps to my D drive to reduce the lag with fraps. Fraps needs high write speed to constantly write large files to the drive. I ran a HDD test on my 7200 drive and it got 100MB/s.

I always get lag on most games when I record in "Full-Size" with fraps, This is for higher quality video and much bigger file sizes. Makes the game unplayable really when recording in Full Size, My friend has the same PC specs as me and also gets the same problem.

I was thinking about buying an SSD specifically for recording to because I was told they are awesome for fraps.
I have a sata 2 motherboard and i was wondering if i bought a SATA 3 OCZ Vertex 3 what kind of read/write's would I get on my Sata 2 motherboard on a benchmark? I need to get as much write speed as i possibly can for fraps.

I dont want to buy an SSD and still get lag when recording in Full-Size because then that would be a huge waste of money.

i7 960 @ 3.2GHZ
GTX 580
6GB 1666 MHZ Ram

Advertised SATA 2 speeds for the Vertex 3 are "up to" 280MB/s Read and 260MB/s Write benchmarked with ATTO software.

aydee

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012

I see, Do you think i'll see a huge difference then when recording with fraps?