Sign in with
Your question

CCleaner for ssd?

Last response: in Storage
July 9, 2012 11:46:55 PM

hey, so ive always heard never use a registry cleaner on an ssd but now im hearing that ccleaner will be ok for me to use on my ocz vertex 3? help

More about : ccleaner ssd

July 9, 2012 11:55:22 PM

It'll be just fine, still I consider programs like CCleaner unnecessary bloat as all of the things which it "solves" can be avoided in the first place with just a little bit of organizing and common sense, but that's just me.

But it won't cause any damage whatsoever to your SSD.
m
l
July 9, 2012 11:56:25 PM

so is it worth it or not?
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 12:02:07 AM

That is up to you, I do all my registry cleaning manually, but it won't do no harm to your hardware either.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 10, 2012 12:14:47 AM

CCleanner when used to clean the registry only "cleans" the registry. ie Deletes entries that no longer point to a valid file. This has NO effect on the SSD itself. primarily has a small (emphasis on small) speed boost to reading the registry. Do not use the other functions.
m
l
a c 107 G Storage
July 10, 2012 12:15:48 AM

I use CCleaner about once a week generally freeing up somewhere around 500MB-1GB of junk on my SSD and have used it for the 2 years I have had the SSD.

I do NOT use the registry cleaner function of CCleaner though. Just the default trash cleanup. I also use it on my laptop and all the other computers I maintain. I have never had a problem with it.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 10, 2012 12:17:15 AM

good app. run it with "wipe free space" enabled once in a while.
m
l
a c 107 G Storage
July 10, 2012 12:18:40 AM

swifty_morgan said:
good app. run it with "wipe free space" enabled once in a while.

You don't want to do that on an SSD!
m
l
July 10, 2012 1:17:00 AM

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. I've read assertions for and support for, but all the responses against go unsupported. Why shouldn't i run CCleaner with the wipe free space option? The "why" to me is a lot more important than the what, that way i can make my own informed decisions in the future.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 10, 2012 1:33:13 AM

anort3 said:
You don't want to do that on an SSD!

why not ?
m
l
a c 107 G Storage
July 10, 2012 1:59:32 AM

Because it writes to every cell shown as free. While a few times will not hurt anything over time this will wear out the SSD. The one downside of an SSD is the limited number of writes. I admit that number is huge but in general you want to avoid unnecessary writes if you can.

Also it's pointless as I believe that you are just doing what TRIM does anyway.
m
l
July 10, 2012 2:03:05 AM

Because it takes unnecessary write cycles off your NAND cells, Flash memory cells have a limited amount of times they can be overwritten before they wear out, 50.000.000 times on most modern drives, after which they appear as a bad block would on a HDD, under normal daily usage it'd probably take decades before a large enough number of these cells wear out for the drive not to function properly, but if you do lots of reformats and/or defrags on a regular basis it will reduce the lifespan of the drive.

An explanation of what is does is here: http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/wi...

It is also completely useless in the case of SSD's because what makes recovering deleted files on a harddrive possible is the magnetic nature of the drive itself. This is better explained here: http://techgage.com/article/too_trim_when_ssd_data_reco...

Edit, anort beat me to it.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 10, 2012 2:34:12 AM

yeah, thanks a lot. I read a few articles after posting. seemed plausible it would work but didn't expect long term problems so to speak.
m
l
July 10, 2012 4:51:08 AM

i am satisfied with the responses as well. thank you anort3 and winiippongamer
m
l
!