Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overseas power?

Last response: in Components
Share
July 27, 2010 3:03:54 PM

i recently moved to Sweden and am looking to build a gaming PC but am curious as to if i would be able to buy the parts from the states i.e. newegg/tigerdirect and have it work here. I realize the power difference between the 2 country's but would i just be able to purchase the power supply here and everything else there? the reason is price. Computer(and all electronics) are ridiculously expensive here(25% sales tax). my girlfriends brother just built one and purchased the Radeon HD 5870 Video Card for a little over $550, its currently on tigerdirect for $389. i Built a PC on tigerdirect that absolutely kills his including the black edition amd 6 core processor all for about $650 cheaper.

I just dont know how the power systems work. If i can buy everything state side and just the power supply here that would be insanely awesome!! thanks if you have any suggestions or advice!!


i posted this in new builds not seeing this section, couldnt delete it from the other one...........sorry

More about : overseas power

a b ) Power supply
July 27, 2010 3:12:20 PM

Lots of PSUs work both on 240V and 110V, it should state it on the label.

But buying everything but the PSU from the US is also a great idea, and theres no reason of it not working. The only downside is you wont have any warranty support, unless you bring it back to the US.
July 27, 2010 3:23:04 PM

Timop said:
Lots of PSUs work both on 240V and 110V, it should state it on the label.

But buying everything but the PSU from the US is also a great idea, and theres no reason of it not working. The only downside is you wont have any warranty support, unless you bring it back to the US.


aahh good point on the warranty. I didnt think about that. I think i would rather work around that though. Great news about the power situation, thanks a lot!
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 27, 2010 3:25:29 PM

Timop is right all the way. The only thing to add is that you might need to adjust the plug on the end of the power cord to correspond to local outlets - no biggie. By the way, although local power may be at either 50 Hz or 60 Hz frequency, most PSU's can operate quite all right on either. Even if it is designed for the "other" frequency, the only impact is that it might operate a slightly lower efficiency.
a b ) Power supply
July 27, 2010 3:59:59 PM

You'll also have import duty to worry about also... I've bought a few things and gotten it shipped to ireland, and they charge import duty + vat on shipping. Turns out more expensive than you think! You'd be better off getting it from Germany or somewhere else in the EU
a b ) Power supply
July 27, 2010 4:42:02 PM

Its OK for you to purchase computer hardware here in the US. Take note the PC hardware operates in DC voltages so it does not matter if the main power source is 60HZ 120V AC or 50H 240V AC.

With respect to PSU the PSU here should work base on specification. Be careful some manufacturer don't consider specific products marketed in the US to be used in EU. In the process some of the features are omitted. Its hard to know until you see smoke.

My recommendation is purchase the mb, gpu..etc here in the US. Purchase your PSU in Europe. Get a branded PSU Corsair, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic..etc.
July 27, 2010 5:02:35 PM

Collie147 said:
You'll also have import duty to worry about also... I've bought a few things and gotten it shipped to ireland, and they charge import duty + vat on shipping. Turns out more expensive than you think! You'd be better off getting it from Germany or somewhere else in the EU


lol oh the taxes here haha!! i planned on buying all the parts via the websites and having them shipped to my dads in PA, most items on newegg are free shipping to there. then he was just going to forward all in a box. that would get around the VAT and other taxes right? he would just pay for the shipping i would imagine.
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 28, 2010 7:33:34 PM

leon2006 said:

My recommendation is purchase the mb, gpu..etc here in the US. Purchase your PSU in Europe. Get a branded PSU Corsair, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic..etc.

A Corsair or Antec (or any of the others) are the same no matter where you buy them.

I work in Saudi Arabia. When I go back to the US on vacation, I sometimes bring back computer parts. If you actually buy the parts in the US, I suggest you go what I do. I breadboard the system:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...
enough to at least see if it successfully POST's.
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2010 2:48:44 PM

jsc said:
A Corsair or Antec (or any of the others) are the same no matter where you buy them.

I work in Saudi Arabia. When I go back to the US on vacation, I sometimes bring back computer parts. If you actually buy the parts in the US, I suggest you go what I do. I breadboard the system:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...
enough to at least see if it successfully POST's.


That's good information specific to corsair and antec
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2010 9:40:24 PM

Ref: relative shipping to get around custums/Vat tax, May or may not work, depends on (1) content labeling and (2) Customs sometimes do a random "open it up". Have relatives in England and the one brother-in-law often buys items here and hand carries back. On the flip side, my wife's brothers ship xmas presents. Contents plus cost are on shipping label and so far not had to pay customs on this end.
!