Sign in with
Your question

How can I make my PC quieter?

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2010 1:04:50 PM

Hi all,

Any price/performance wise suggestions?

I think my 4890 is the loudest component in my build...
Specs are at the bottom.

Thanks!

More about : make quieter

a b B Homebuilt system
May 23, 2010 1:21:29 PM

Honestly, you dont have the most important piece of information in your specs. Case. The better the airflow through your case, the less your internal fans need to work to keep things cool.
May 23, 2010 11:17:08 PM

If the graphics card is the loudest bit of kit in your case then there are 2 possible causes.

1) bad design of HAF on the card itself

2) poor general air flow through your Pc causing the fan to run faster to keep the card cool.

First thing to try is spending some time on a neat cabling job - this is one of the trickiest things to get right so spend some time planning the route for the cables inside your case. Any cable that can cause disruption to the flow of air will hinder colling of the CPU & GPU.

To test your temps

realtemp = CPU
GPUz = GPU (tells you loads of other info too)

IF the airflow in your case is not the problem then you could change the HSF mounted to your video card..... its not as tricky as you would think - just dont rush it.

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/cPath/VGA-Graphics-Card-C...

Related resources
May 24, 2010 6:47:53 AM

cmcghee358 said:
Honestly, you dont have the most important piece of information in your specs. Case. The better the airflow through your case, the less your internal fans need to work to keep things cool.

Sorry its called
Coolermaster elite 330.
May 24, 2010 2:34:21 PM

may1 said:
I think my 4890 is the loudest component in my build...

Manually adjust the fan speed in the Catalyst Control Center. When idle set the fan speed at 50% which is whisper quiet but then up the fan speed to 80% +/- when gaming to ensure the card does not overheat.

An after market gpu cooler is a possibility. The Zalman VF1000 LED is a great aftermarket cooler for the 4890 and worth the money for the oc headroom and temp drops. Please note that the idle temp may not change much over the stock cooler but where the VF1000 performs is when the gpu is under heavy load.

Of course, case air flow is really the key. Given the 330 only has two fans (1 - 120mm front and 1 - 120mm rear), I would suggest adding another 120mm fan to the side panel. Or another idea would be to perform a case mod and add a larger (200mm) onto the side panel and/or perform a case mod to add another 120mm fan in the top of the case, above the cpu, to exhaust air.
May 25, 2010 8:06:43 AM

chunkymonster said:
Manually adjust the fan speed in the Catalyst Control Center. When idle set the fan speed at 50% which is whisper quiet but then up the fan speed to 80% +/- when gaming to ensure the card does not overheat.

An after market gpu cooler is a possibility. The Zalman VF1000 LED is a great aftermarket cooler for the 4890 and worth the money for the oc headroom and temp drops. Please note that the idle temp may not change much over the stock cooler but where the VF1000 performs is when the gpu is under heavy load.

Of course, case air flow is really the key. Given the 330 only has two fans (1 - 120mm front and 1 - 120mm rear), I would suggest adding another 120mm fan to the side panel. Or another idea would be to perform a case mod and add a larger (200mm) onto the side panel and/or perform a case mod to add another 120mm fan in the top of the case, above the cpu, to exhaust air.

Hmm...

How would I go modding the case?
May 25, 2010 8:16:46 AM

ulysses35 said:
If the graphics card is the loudest bit of kit in your case then there are 2 possible causes.

1) bad design of HAF on the card itself

2) poor general air flow through your Pc causing the fan to run faster to keep the card cool.

First thing to try is spending some time on a neat cabling job - this is one of the trickiest things to get right so spend some time planning the route for the cables inside your case. Any cable that can cause disruption to the flow of air will hinder colling of the CPU & GPU.

To test your temps

realtemp = CPU
GPUz = GPU (tells you loads of other info too)

IF the airflow in your case is not the problem then you could change the HSF mounted to your video card..... its not as tricky as you would think - just dont rush it.

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/cPath/VGA-Graphics-Card-C...

Well I checked the temp for CPU and GPU.

Ive been running the PC for about 12hrs,
surprisingly the CPU temp is higher :/ 

CPU: 61C
GPU: 57C

Ive always been wondering why my CPU ran quite hot (although its just a X2, I havent Oced it as such). Is the stock cooler that bad, or is it my PC itself?
May 25, 2010 10:01:47 PM

may1 said:
Hmm...

How would I go modding the case?
By cutting a hole into the case. A Dremel with the appropriate cutting disk is a handy tool to use and makes short work of it. Absent of a Dremel, a drill, drill bits, and a pair of snips or a hacksaw blade will work. Quite literally cut out the appropriate sized hole for the fan you want to add to the case. They make fan grills and filters to dress up the outside of the case to keep appearances.

Fact is, there are any number of case mods that can be done. I recommend a Google search on 'case mods' to see a plethora of sites on the subject. For modding parts and accessories check out www.performance-pcs.com, www.case-mod.com, www.casemodgod.com, and www.xoxide.com to name a few...
!