Completely out of ideas and getting really frustrated!

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
My problem started with my computer not waking up one morning and then not booting up when turning it back on. I started by replacing the PSU. Then I replaced the motherboard and RAM. Then I noticed the GPU was running super hot and the fan wasn't running, so I replaced that, too. Every time I replaced something, the computer booted up and worked for a bit, but then either froze or when I'd restart it after driver updates, it wouldn't boot back up. I have tried unplugging optical drives, but that had no affect. The only thing left is the hard drive or something on it, right?

any ideas? thanks

Solution
If you didn't replace the motherboard with an identical one, the system won't boot without either a repair install or a clean install as the drivers will still be for the old motherboard.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I replaced the GPU. Unfortunately, there is no onboard vga.

nhasian, I looked through that list and it doesn't appear to be anything on it. It seems unlikely since it happened almost 2 years after it was first built and still happens after replacing most parts.. especially since it does boot up initially, right?

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
when it booted up for the first time with the new motherboard, it seemed to load the drivers just fine. do I still need to do a clean install?

as for checking the hd for errors, i can't even turn on the computer at the moment. i'm thinking of taking the HD out and reformatting it after trying to get some stuff off of it. i was hoping this is a last resort.

Yes, you should be able to add your old hard drive after installing the OS to a new drive. Be sure that only the drive you are going to install the OS to is connected to the system before installing the OS. Install the remaining drives after the OS install is complete and you are sure the OS is ok.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
ok....so i unplugged the hard drive that was giving me problems, i installed a new hard drive. I did a clean install on the new hard drive. Everything was running perfectly. Turned off the computer, plugged the old hard drive back in... and it loaded from the old hard drive. what did i do wrong? both drives are SATA

nevermind...that was easy...