Toby Gard to return to TR

Last response: in Video Games
August 5, 2004 11:03:44 PM

SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team

http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281

More about : toby gard return

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 11:03:45 PM

Eidos Confirms June 2005 Release for New Look Tomb Raider
http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=7178&type=n

meanmarine

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net

"Marcus 'Dr' Dee" <doctordeeNO@SPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team
>
> http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:01:11 PM

Marcus 'Dr' Dee wrote:

> SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team
>
> http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281

From the article:
> Gard, who was creator of the Lara Croft character, and progenitor of
> the Tomb Raider franchise left Core Design in 1997 to form Confounding
> Factor, and work on the poorly received Xbox exclusive title, 'Galleon'.

Hmm... interesting. Why was it poorly received? Is it because the
game is for the Xbox only or is it the game itself? (I haven't seen
it.)

Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging that
Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good sign.
I hope I'm wrong about that.

-- G
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:16:58 PM

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary Mitchell
warbled on about "Re: Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=

> Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
> again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging that
> Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
> something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
> reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good sign.
> I hope I'm wrong about that.

It can't work out too bad -- he is the original creator after all. He'll
still have a particular concept (original version?) of Lara/TR in his
head that might haul the series back from the brink, even if it has to
be 'translated' by a new development company. CD's strength is their
solid gaming design but you've got to wonder at their ability to 'get'
Lara and the TR world building.

Gard = vision, direction and TR 'feel'
CD = energy and expertise
TR7 = the whole kit and kaboodle?

The only way I could see it failing completely is if his vision and CD's
clashes too violently and we get a mishmash of a game (TR looks but
too-simple Soul Caliber style gameplay).

Who knows, maybe they'll drop him straight in as the project director
rather than just an advisor. Or has Warren 'Deus Ex' Spector got that
job? Still no denial/confirmation there yet (but it would rock: TR
look, feel, ambience w/ Deus Ex's gameplay and Soul Caliber/Project Eden
ease of control).

Ultra-strangeness time: I've just gotten back into Project Eden again
and am finding it strangely addictive and really enjoyable. Just how
the hell did Core squeeze this little gem out in between the TR sequels
again? The responsiveness of the (mouse) controls is magnificent
compared to TRAOD.

--
Hours spent gaming last week: 23 Online/Single player: 0
Last game(s) finished: Thief3, Ground Control 2 (NSA missions)

Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would love
this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots of
secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on the
Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that console
(which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
breathtaking!

Mary

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Marcus 'Dr' Dee wrote:
> >
> > SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team
> >
> > http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281
>
> From the article:
> > Gard, who was creator of the Lara Croft character, and progenitor of
> > the Tomb Raider franchise left Core Design in 1997 to form Confounding
> > Factor, and work on the poorly received Xbox exclusive title, 'Galleon'.
>
> Hmm... interesting. Why was it poorly received? Is it because the
> game is for the Xbox only or is it the game itself? (I haven't seen
> it.)
>
> Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
> again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging that
> Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
> something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
> reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good sign.
> I hope I'm wrong about that.
>
> -- G
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 10:04:34 PM

"snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary Mitchell
> warbled on about "Re: Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=
>
> > Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
> > again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging
that
> > Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
> > something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
> > reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good
sign.
> > I hope I'm wrong about that.
>
> It can't work out too bad -- he is the original creator after all. He'll
> still have a particular concept (original version?) of Lara/TR in his
> head that might haul the series back from the brink, even if it has to
> be 'translated' by a new development company. CD's strength is their
> solid gaming design but you've got to wonder at their ability to 'get'
> Lara and the TR world building.

But Gard left TR just after it was completed, over something along the lines
of 'artistic differences', one could say.

At any rate, here's a mini-interview from 1997:

http://mono211.com/gamegeekpeeks/cf.html

It's extremely interesting to see here that he and (Paul) Douglas decided to
leave because of the requests for a sequel/ clone. But he has returned to
Lara now...it actually makes me wonder how much Eidos/ CD are promising
Gard...they must be desperate to resurrect TR IMHO.

And here's an article that's been out for a while, which explains that Gard
left because of sexing-up Lara (which links with his anecdote about Nude
Raider above).

> Gard = vision, direction and TR 'feel'
> CD = energy and expertise
> TR7 = the whole kit and kaboodle?

<snip>
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 10:04:35 PM

Dragoncarer wrote:
> "snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
>> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary
>> Mitchell warbled on about "Re: Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t
>> <<=
>>
>>> Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do
>>> it again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not
>>> encouraging that Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this
>>> pushed him into doing something else, i.e. returning to Eidos
>>> (Crystal Dynamics). I may be reading too much between the lines,
>>> but this may not be such a good sign. I hope I'm wrong about that.
>>
>> It can't work out too bad -- he is the original creator after all.
>> He'll still have a particular concept (original version?) of Lara/TR
>> in his head that might haul the series back from the brink, even if
>> it has to be 'translated' by a new development company. CD's
>> strength is their solid gaming design but you've got to wonder at
>> their ability to 'get' Lara and the TR world building.
>>

> But Gard left TR just after it was completed, over something along
> the lines of 'artistic differences', one could say.
>
> At any rate, here's a mini-interview from 1997:
>
> http://mono211.com/gamegeekpeeks/cf.html
>
> It's extremely interesting to see here that he and (Paul) Douglas
> decided to leave because of the requests for a sequel/ clone. But he
> has returned to Lara now...it actually makes me wonder how much
> Eidos/ CD are promising Gard...they must be desperate to resurrect TR
> IMHO.
>
> And here's an article that's been out for a while, which explains
> that Gard left because of sexing-up Lara (which links with his
> anecdote about Nude Raider above).

>> Gard = vision, direction and TR 'feel'
>> CD = energy and expertise
>> TR7 = the whole kit and kaboodle?
>>
> <snip>

Interesting developments. I look hungrily for less gore and more
adventuring and exploring. that was the thing that got my interest from
the very beginning with the Tombraider demo on floppy disk that came
with a video card I'd bought. The same week, I'd bought Quake via
phone sales/email, and really needed a better video card. This vid card
came with two Technology Demos on floppies, Tombraider and Quake. I
hadn't even heard of Tombraider till then. I stopped at Electronics
Botique on the way home and bought Tombraider :)
In that demo, there were animals, like the wolves, bear, bats
and...yes...the TRex :)  There were several points I felt made this a
fantastic game. 3rd person view, the graphics looked a bit behind the
times BUT the animations were amazingly realistic, and you didn't *have*
to kill anything if you didn't want to. So, I got it :)
McG.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 10:10:19 PM

"mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
> quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
> precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
> marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would
love
> this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots of
> secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on the
> Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that console
> (which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
> breathtaking!

I would have to disagree. Admittedly, I've only played a demo on the
OXMAustralia disc, but....the controls leave much to be desired. I can't
help but get the feeling that they tried to make the controls different and
unusual, and in so doing making them somewhat unmanageable. But anyway.

> Mary
>
> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Marcus 'Dr' Dee wrote:
> > >
> > > SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team
> > >
> > > http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281
> >
> > From the article:
> > > Gard, who was creator of the Lara Croft character, and progenitor of
> > > the Tomb Raider franchise left Core Design in 1997 to form Confounding
> > > Factor, and work on the poorly received Xbox exclusive title,
'Galleon'.

> > Hmm... interesting. Why was it poorly received? Is it because the
> > game is for the Xbox only or is it the game itself? (I haven't seen
> > it.)
> >
> > Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
> > again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging
that
> > Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
> > something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
> > reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good
sign.
> > I hope I'm wrong about that.
> >
> > -- G

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 10:10:20 PM

There are quite a few people who have judged this game on the basis of the
demo. The first level (demo) is not particularly representative of the rest
of the game, but even that level is worth replaying again, once you begin to
realise what you've missed the first time round. The game has suffered from
the demo, which is a shame. The controls are actually fine, although one or
two things are a bit tricky. I'm sorry the demo has put you off, try not to
let it. I think it's an amazing game.

Mary

"Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message

> "mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
> > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
> > precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
> > marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would
> love
> > this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots
of
> > secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on
the
> > Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that console
> > (which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
> > breathtaking!
> >

> I would have to disagree. Admittedly, I've only played a demo on the
> OXMAustralia disc, but....the controls leave much to be desired. I can't
> help but get the feeling that they tried to make the controls different
and
> unusual, and in so doing making them somewhat unmanageable. But anyway.
>
> > Mary
> >
> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > > From the article:
Confounding
> 'Galleon'.
> > >
> > > Hmm... interesting. Why was it poorly received? Is it because the
> > > game is for the Xbox only or is it the game itself? (I haven't seen
> > > it.)
> > >
> > > Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
> > > again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging
> that
> > > Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
> > > something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
> > > reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good
> sign.
> > > I hope I'm wrong about that.
> > >
> > > -- G

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 10:10:21 PM

mary clarke wrote:

> There are quite a few people who have judged this game on the basis of the
> demo. The first level (demo) is not particularly representative of the rest
> of the game, but even that level is worth replaying again, once you begin to
> realise what you've missed the first time round. The game has suffered from
> the demo, which is a shame. The controls are actually fine, although one or
> two things are a bit tricky. I'm sorry the demo has put you off, try not to
> let it. I think it's an amazing game.
>
> Mary

The whole point of a demo is to sell the game, to show how good it
is, etc. If it doesn't do that or isn't representative, then they
really blew it in a big way.

-- G

> "Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message
> >
> > "mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
> > > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
> > > precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
> > > marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would
> > love
> > > this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots
> of
> > > secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on
> the
> > > Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that console
> > > (which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
> > > breathtaking!
> > >

> > I would have to disagree. Admittedly, I've only played a demo on the
> > OXMAustralia disc, but....the controls leave much to be desired. I can't
> > help but get the feeling that they tried to make the controls different
> and
> > unusual, and in so doing making them somewhat unmanageable. But anyway.
> >
> > > Mary
> > >
> > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Confounding
> > 'Galleon'.

> > that
> > sign.

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 6:01:34 AM

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary clarke"
warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=

> Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
> quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
> precious about that sort of thing!

PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
XBoxers: "U sux!"
PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
best gfx!!"
PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"

--
We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning. Every
morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven

snark^ wrote:
> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary clarke"
> warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=
>
>> Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually
>> sold quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being
>> a bit precious about that sort of thing!
>
> PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
> XBoxers: "U sux!"
> PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
> XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
> best gfx!!"
> PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
> XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"
>

> --
> We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning.
> Every morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven

XBOX is for pretty
PS2 is for sports
PC is for confusion
McG.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 6:01:36 AM

> snark^ wrote:
> > =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary clarke"
> > warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=
> >
> >> Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually
> >> sold quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being
> >> a bit precious about that sort of thing!
> >
> > PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
> > XBoxers: "U sux!"
> > PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
> > XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
> > best gfx!!"
> > PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
> > XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"
> >

> > --
> > We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning.
> > Every morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven
>
> XBOX is for pretty
> PS2 is for sports
> PC is for confusion
> McG.

I hope noone thought that I was singing the praises of the Xbox. I was
actually praising a game. I have the box because at present I am not in a
position to play games on my computer. I would love to be able to return to
PC gaming, but that won't be for a while.

I'm sorry that this is the aspect of the post that attracted attention.

Mary
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 6:01:37 AM

mary clarke wrote:
>> snark^ wrote:
>>> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary
>>> clarke" warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=

>>> PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
>>> XBoxers: "U sux!"
>>> PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
>>> XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
>>> best gfx!!"
>>> PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
>>> XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"
>>>

>>> --
>>> We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning.
>>> Every morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven
>>
>> XBOX is for pretty
>> PS2 is for sports
>> PC is for confusion
>> McG.
>>

> I hope noone thought that I was singing the praises of the Xbox. I
> was actually praising a game. I have the box because at present I am
> not in a position to play games on my computer. I would love to be
> able to return to PC gaming, but that won't be for a while.
>
> I'm sorry that this is the aspect of the post that attracted
> attention.
>
> Mary

Oh not to worry about that Mary! My bit in that was in jest :)
Although of all the young folks I know that are into the games, they
don't want a PC at all. Those that use XBox seem to like the graphical
beauty of the games more than the physics. Those using PS2 seem to love
all the sports games whether they're gorgeous graphicswise or not. Most
of the young guys at work do have PS2's, and they are heavily into
sports games. Basketball, Football (american) and racing. I guess they
like some of th Kung Fu type games too. One guy has an XBox, and he
plays Halo almost exclusively.
McG.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:25:29 AM

> There are quite a few people who have judged this game on the basis of the
> demo. The first level (demo) is not particularly representative of the
rest
> of the game, but even that level is worth replaying again, once you begin
> realise what you've missed the first time round. The game has suffered
from
> the demo, which is a shame. The controls are actually fine, although one
or
> two things are a bit tricky. I'm sorry the demo has put you off, try not
> let it. I think it's an amazing game.

Arright. If I can find it at a video store somewhere, I'll hire it out - I
promise! failing that, I'll just buy it from EB and if I don't like
it....well. I'll return it.

Ok, I'll give it a go Mary!

> Mary
>
> "Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message
> >
> > "mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually
sold
> > > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
> > > precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
> > > marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would
> > love
> > > this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots
> of
> > > secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on
> the
> > > Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that
console
> > > (which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
> > > breathtaking!
> > >

> > I would have to disagree. Admittedly, I've only played a demo on the
> > OXMAustralia disc, but....the controls leave much to be desired. I can't
> > help but get the feeling that they tried to make the controls different
> and
> > unusual, and in so doing making them somewhat unmanageable. But anyway.
> >
> > > Mary
> > >
> > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Confounding
> > 'Galleon'.

> > that
> > sign.

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:27:48 AM

> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary clarke"
> warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=
>
> > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
> > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
> > precious about that sort of thing!
>
> PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
> XBoxers: "U sux!"
> PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
> XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
> best gfx!!"
> PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
> XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"

*bursts out laughing* so true. So true! Except, maybe without the extreme
register change.

> --
> We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning. Every
> morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:38:03 AM

> mary clarke wrote:
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> XBOX is for pretty
> >> PS2 is for sports
> >> PC is for confusion
> >> McG.
> >>

> > I hope noone thought that I was singing the praises of the Xbox. I
> > was actually praising a game. I have the box because at present I am
> > not in a position to play games on my computer. I would love to be
> > able to return to PC gaming, but that won't be for a while.
> >
> > I'm sorry that this is the aspect of the post that attracted
> > attention.
> >
> > Mary
>
> Oh not to worry about that Mary! My bit in that was in jest :)
> Although of all the young folks I know that are into the games, they
> don't want a PC at all. Those that use XBox seem to like the graphical
> beauty of the games more than the physics. Those using PS2 seem to love
> all the sports games whether they're gorgeous graphicswise or not. Most
> of the young guys at work do have PS2's, and they are heavily into
> sports games. Basketball, Football (american) and racing. I guess they
> like some of th Kung Fu type games too. One guy has an XBox, and he
> plays Halo almost exclusively.
> McG.

I think you're almost there McG. From my viewpoint, Xboxers like the box
because of its graphical beauty, yes, but also - especially recently - its
online capability. Which is far greater than the PS2.

But PS2ers like the little black spaceship because there are just simply so
many games. Sony leads because of this, I feel. They have far more games
(with a greater range of licences) and therefore the 'gene pool' is wider:
there's more likely to be better games than there is amongst the small range
of Xbox games.

I have both. But I dislike the PS2 because it's often jumpy and stally in
games, and isn't as sharp or vivid in colours. It just can't do as much. But
then it's far better at being a DVD player than an Xbox.

So...if a game is available on both platforms, I go for the Xbox version.
But I can still play all those Xbox or PS2 exclusive titles!
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:38:04 AM

Dragoncarer wrote:
>> mary clarke wrote:
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I hope noone thought that I was singing the praises of the Xbox. I
>>> was actually praising a game. I have the box because at present I
>>> am not in a position to play games on my computer. I would love to
>>> be able to return to PC gaming, but that won't be for a while.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry that this is the aspect of the post that attracted
>>> attention.
>>>
>>> Mary

Additional to Mary: I've been following Toby Gard and his Galleon for
as long as I've known about it. years. It saddened me to learn it
would be an XBox exclusive, I was hoping I'd get to play it on my PC.
Now I just get to hear about it :(  And, no, nobody thought your were
promoting the XBox at all. Some of us folks are just really bad about
taking a thread completely somewhere other than where the original
poster ever thought.
Hoping we didn't upset you!
Mike
McG.

>> Oh not to worry about that Mary! My bit in that was in jest :)
>> Although of all the young folks I know that are into the games, they
>> don't want a PC at all. Those that use XBox seem to like the
>> graphical beauty of the games more than the physics. Those using
>> PS2 seem to love all the sports games whether they're gorgeous
>> graphicswise or not. Most of the young guys at work do have PS2's,
>> and they are heavily into sports games. Basketball, Football
>> (american) and racing. I guess they like some of th Kung Fu type
>> games too. One guy has an XBox, and he plays Halo almost
>> exclusively.
>> McG.
>>

> I think you're almost there McG. From my viewpoint, Xboxers like the
> box because of its graphical beauty, yes, but also - especially
> recently - its online capability. Which is far greater than the PS2.
>
> But PS2ers like the little black spaceship because there are just
> simply so many games. Sony leads because of this, I feel. They have
> far more games (with a greater range of licences) and therefore the
> 'gene pool' is wider: there's more likely to be better games than
> there is amongst the small range of Xbox games.
>
> I have both. But I dislike the PS2 because it's often jumpy and
> stally in games, and isn't as sharp or vivid in colours. It just
> can't do as much. But then it's far better at being a DVD player than
> an Xbox.
>
> So...if a game is available on both platforms, I go for the Xbox
> version. But I can still play all those Xbox or PS2 exclusive titles!

I've just got my pc, so I only hear about what's going on with the
consoles. There are a nunmber of console only games I'd love to see on
the pc!
McG.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 5:01:51 PM

> Dragoncarer wrote:
> > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

> Additional to Mary: I've been following Toby Gard and his Galleon for
> as long as I've known about it. years. It saddened me to learn it
> would be an XBox exclusive, I was hoping I'd get to play it on my PC.
> Now I just get to hear about it :(  And, no, nobody thought your were
> promoting the XBox at all. Some of us folks are just really bad about
> taking a thread completely somewhere other than where the original
> poster ever thought.
> Hoping we didn't upset you!
> Mike
> McG.
>

> >> Oh not to worry about that Mary! My bit in that was in jest :)
> >> Although of all the young folks I know that are into the games, they
> >> don't want a PC at all. Those that use XBox seem to like the
> >> graphical beauty of the games more than the physics. Those using
> >> PS2 seem to love all the sports games whether they're gorgeous
> >> graphicswise or not. Most of the young guys at work do have PS2's,
> >> and they are heavily into sports games. Basketball, Football
> >> (american) and racing. I guess they like some of th Kung Fu type
> >> games too. One guy has an XBox, and he plays Halo almost
> >> exclusively.
> >> McG.
> >>

> > I think you're almost there McG. From my viewpoint, Xboxers like the
> > box because of its graphical beauty, yes, but also - especially
> > recently - its online capability. Which is far greater than the PS2.
> >
> > But PS2ers like the little black spaceship because there are just
> > simply so many games. Sony leads because of this, I feel. They have
> > far more games (with a greater range of licences) and therefore the
> > 'gene pool' is wider: there's more likely to be better games than
> > there is amongst the small range of Xbox games.
> >
> > I have both. But I dislike the PS2 because it's often jumpy and
> > stally in games, and isn't as sharp or vivid in colours. It just
> > can't do as much. But then it's far better at being a DVD player than
> > an Xbox.
> >
> > So...if a game is available on both platforms, I go for the Xbox
> > version. But I can still play all those Xbox or PS2 exclusive titles!
>
> I've just got my pc, so I only hear about what's going on with the
> consoles. There are a nunmber of console only games I'd love to see on
> the pc!
> McG.

And a number of PC-exclusives I'd love to see on my consoles!
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 12:00:24 AM

> "mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > There are quite a few people who have judged this game on the basis of
the
> > demo. The first level (demo) is not particularly representative of the
> rest
> > of the game, but even that level is worth replaying again, once you
begin
> > realise what you've missed the first time round. The game has suffered
> from
> > the demo, which is a shame. The controls are actually fine, although
one
> or
> > two things are a bit tricky. I'm sorry the demo has put you off, try
not
> > let it. I think it's an amazing game.
>
> Arright. If I can find it at a video store somewhere, I'll hire it out - I
> promise! failing that, I'll just buy it from EB and if I don't like
> it....well. I'll return it.
>
> Ok, I'll give it a go Mary!

Yes! Please, please love this game.

Mary