Toby Gard to return to TR

SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team

http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281
19 answers Last reply
More about toby gard return
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Eidos Confirms June 2005 Release for New Look Tomb Raider
    http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=7178&type=n

    meanmarine

    "Eliminate annoying spam!
    My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

    http://www.ihatespam.net

    "Marcus 'Dr' Dee" <doctordeeNO@SPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team
    >
    > http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Marcus 'Dr' Dee wrote:

    > SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team
    >
    > http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281

    From the article:
    > Gard, who was creator of the Lara Croft character, and progenitor of
    > the Tomb Raider franchise left Core Design in 1997 to form Confounding
    > Factor, and work on the poorly received Xbox exclusive title, 'Galleon'.

    Hmm... interesting. Why was it poorly received? Is it because the
    game is for the Xbox only or is it the game itself? (I haven't seen
    it.)

    Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
    again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging that
    Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
    something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
    reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good sign.
    I hope I'm wrong about that.

    -- G
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary Mitchell
    warbled on about "Re: Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=

    > Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
    > again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging that
    > Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
    > something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
    > reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good sign.
    > I hope I'm wrong about that.

    It can't work out too bad -- he is the original creator after all. He'll
    still have a particular concept (original version?) of Lara/TR in his
    head that might haul the series back from the brink, even if it has to
    be 'translated' by a new development company. CD's strength is their
    solid gaming design but you've got to wonder at their ability to 'get'
    Lara and the TR world building.

    Gard = vision, direction and TR 'feel'
    CD = energy and expertise
    TR7 = the whole kit and kaboodle?

    The only way I could see it failing completely is if his vision and CD's
    clashes too violently and we get a mishmash of a game (TR looks but
    too-simple Soul Caliber style gameplay).

    Who knows, maybe they'll drop him straight in as the project director
    rather than just an advisor. Or has Warren 'Deus Ex' Spector got that
    job? Still no denial/confirmation there yet (but it would rock: TR
    look, feel, ambience w/ Deus Ex's gameplay and Soul Caliber/Project Eden
    ease of control).

    Ultra-strangeness time: I've just gotten back into Project Eden again
    and am finding it strangely addictive and really enjoyable. Just how
    the hell did Core squeeze this little gem out in between the TR sequels
    again? The responsiveness of the (mouse) controls is magnificent
    compared to TRAOD.

    --
    Hours spent gaming last week: 23 Online/Single player: 0
    Last game(s) finished: Thief3, Ground Control 2 (NSA missions)

    Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
    quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
    precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
    marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would love
    this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots of
    secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on the
    Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that console
    (which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
    breathtaking!

    Mary

    "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Marcus 'Dr' Dee wrote:
    > >
    > > SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team
    > >
    > > http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281
    >
    > From the article:
    > > Gard, who was creator of the Lara Croft character, and progenitor of
    > > the Tomb Raider franchise left Core Design in 1997 to form Confounding
    > > Factor, and work on the poorly received Xbox exclusive title, 'Galleon'.
    >
    > Hmm... interesting. Why was it poorly received? Is it because the
    > game is for the Xbox only or is it the game itself? (I haven't seen
    > it.)
    >
    > Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
    > again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging that
    > Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
    > something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
    > reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good sign.
    > I hope I'm wrong about that.
    >
    > -- G
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
    > =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary Mitchell
    > warbled on about "Re: Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=
    >
    > > Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
    > > again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging
    that
    > > Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
    > > something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
    > > reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good
    sign.
    > > I hope I'm wrong about that.
    >
    > It can't work out too bad -- he is the original creator after all. He'll
    > still have a particular concept (original version?) of Lara/TR in his
    > head that might haul the series back from the brink, even if it has to
    > be 'translated' by a new development company. CD's strength is their
    > solid gaming design but you've got to wonder at their ability to 'get'
    > Lara and the TR world building.

    But Gard left TR just after it was completed, over something along the lines
    of 'artistic differences', one could say.

    At any rate, here's a mini-interview from 1997:

    http://mono211.com/gamegeekpeeks/cf.html

    It's extremely interesting to see here that he and (Paul) Douglas decided to
    leave because of the requests for a sequel/ clone. But he has returned to
    Lara now...it actually makes me wonder how much Eidos/ CD are promising
    Gard...they must be desperate to resurrect TR IMHO.

    And here's an article that's been out for a while, which explains that Gard
    left because of sexing-up Lara (which links with his anecdote about Nude
    Raider above).

    > Gard = vision, direction and TR 'feel'
    > CD = energy and expertise
    > TR7 = the whole kit and kaboodle?

    <snip>
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Dragoncarer wrote:
    > "snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
    >> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary
    >> Mitchell warbled on about "Re: Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t
    >> <<=
    >>
    >>> Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do
    >>> it again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not
    >>> encouraging that Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this
    >>> pushed him into doing something else, i.e. returning to Eidos
    >>> (Crystal Dynamics). I may be reading too much between the lines,
    >>> but this may not be such a good sign. I hope I'm wrong about that.
    >>
    >> It can't work out too bad -- he is the original creator after all.
    >> He'll still have a particular concept (original version?) of Lara/TR
    >> in his head that might haul the series back from the brink, even if
    >> it has to be 'translated' by a new development company. CD's
    >> strength is their solid gaming design but you've got to wonder at
    >> their ability to 'get' Lara and the TR world building.
    >>

    > But Gard left TR just after it was completed, over something along
    > the lines of 'artistic differences', one could say.
    >
    > At any rate, here's a mini-interview from 1997:
    >
    > http://mono211.com/gamegeekpeeks/cf.html
    >
    > It's extremely interesting to see here that he and (Paul) Douglas
    > decided to leave because of the requests for a sequel/ clone. But he
    > has returned to Lara now...it actually makes me wonder how much
    > Eidos/ CD are promising Gard...they must be desperate to resurrect TR
    > IMHO.
    >
    > And here's an article that's been out for a while, which explains
    > that Gard left because of sexing-up Lara (which links with his
    > anecdote about Nude Raider above).

    >> Gard = vision, direction and TR 'feel'
    >> CD = energy and expertise
    >> TR7 = the whole kit and kaboodle?
    >>
    > <snip>

    Interesting developments. I look hungrily for less gore and more
    adventuring and exploring. that was the thing that got my interest from
    the very beginning with the Tombraider demo on floppy disk that came
    with a video card I'd bought. The same week, I'd bought Quake via
    phone sales/email, and really needed a better video card. This vid card
    came with two Technology Demos on floppies, Tombraider and Quake. I
    hadn't even heard of Tombraider till then. I stopped at Electronics
    Botique on the way home and bought Tombraider :)
    In that demo, there were animals, like the wolves, bear, bats
    and...yes...the TRex :) There were several points I felt made this a
    fantastic game. 3rd person view, the graphics looked a bit behind the
    times BUT the animations were amazingly realistic, and you didn't *have*
    to kill anything if you didn't want to. So, I got it :)
    McG.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
    > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
    > precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
    > marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would
    love
    > this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots of
    > secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on the
    > Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that console
    > (which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
    > breathtaking!

    I would have to disagree. Admittedly, I've only played a demo on the
    OXMAustralia disc, but....the controls leave much to be desired. I can't
    help but get the feeling that they tried to make the controls different and
    unusual, and in so doing making them somewhat unmanageable. But anyway.

    > Mary
    >
    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > Marcus 'Dr' Dee wrote:
    > > >
    > > > SPOnG reckons Toby Gard is to join the TR VII team
    > > >
    > > > http://news.spong.com/x?art=7281
    > >
    > > From the article:
    > > > Gard, who was creator of the Lara Croft character, and progenitor of
    > > > the Tomb Raider franchise left Core Design in 1997 to form Confounding
    > > > Factor, and work on the poorly received Xbox exclusive title,
    'Galleon'.

    > > Hmm... interesting. Why was it poorly received? Is it because the
    > > game is for the Xbox only or is it the game itself? (I haven't seen
    > > it.)
    > >
    > > Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
    > > again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging
    that
    > > Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
    > > something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
    > > reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good
    sign.
    > > I hope I'm wrong about that.
    > >
    > > -- G

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    There are quite a few people who have judged this game on the basis of the
    demo. The first level (demo) is not particularly representative of the rest
    of the game, but even that level is worth replaying again, once you begin to
    realise what you've missed the first time round. The game has suffered from
    the demo, which is a shame. The controls are actually fine, although one or
    two things are a bit tricky. I'm sorry the demo has put you off, try not to
    let it. I think it's an amazing game.

    Mary

    "Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message

    > "mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
    > > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
    > > precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
    > > marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would
    > love
    > > this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots
    of
    > > secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on
    the
    > > Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that console
    > > (which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
    > > breathtaking!
    > >

    > I would have to disagree. Admittedly, I've only played a demo on the
    > OXMAustralia disc, but....the controls leave much to be desired. I can't
    > help but get the feeling that they tried to make the controls different
    and
    > unusual, and in so doing making them somewhat unmanageable. But anyway.
    >
    > > Mary
    > >
    > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > > > From the article:
    Confounding
    > 'Galleon'.
    > > >
    > > > Hmm... interesting. Why was it poorly received? Is it because the
    > > > game is for the Xbox only or is it the game itself? (I haven't seen
    > > > it.)
    > > >
    > > > Regarding TR... It's not necessarily a sure thing that Gard can "do it
    > > > again," although the odds may be in his favor. It's not encouraging
    > that
    > > > Galleon turned out to be a flop. Evidently this pushed him into doing
    > > > something else, i.e. returning to Eidos (Crystal Dynamics). I may be
    > > > reading too much between the lines, but this may not be such a good
    > sign.
    > > > I hope I'm wrong about that.
    > > >
    > > > -- G

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    mary clarke wrote:

    > There are quite a few people who have judged this game on the basis of the
    > demo. The first level (demo) is not particularly representative of the rest
    > of the game, but even that level is worth replaying again, once you begin to
    > realise what you've missed the first time round. The game has suffered from
    > the demo, which is a shame. The controls are actually fine, although one or
    > two things are a bit tricky. I'm sorry the demo has put you off, try not to
    > let it. I think it's an amazing game.
    >
    > Mary

    The whole point of a demo is to sell the game, to show how good it
    is, etc. If it doesn't do that or isn't representative, then they
    really blew it in a big way.

    -- G

    > "Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
    > > > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
    > > > precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
    > > > marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would
    > > love
    > > > this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots
    > of
    > > > secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on
    > the
    > > > Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that console
    > > > (which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
    > > > breathtaking!
    > > >

    > > I would have to disagree. Admittedly, I've only played a demo on the
    > > OXMAustralia disc, but....the controls leave much to be desired. I can't
    > > help but get the feeling that they tried to make the controls different
    > and
    > > unusual, and in so doing making them somewhat unmanageable. But anyway.
    > >
    > > > Mary
    > > >
    > > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > Confounding
    > > 'Galleon'.

    > > that
    > > sign.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary clarke"
    warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=

    > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
    > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
    > precious about that sort of thing!

    PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
    XBoxers: "U sux!"
    PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
    XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
    best gfx!!"
    PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
    XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"

    --
    We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning. Every
    morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven

    snark^ wrote:
    > =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary clarke"
    > warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=
    >
    >> Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually
    >> sold quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being
    >> a bit precious about that sort of thing!
    >
    > PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
    > XBoxers: "U sux!"
    > PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
    > XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
    > best gfx!!"
    > PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
    > XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"
    >

    > --
    > We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning.
    > Every morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven

    XBOX is for pretty
    PS2 is for sports
    PC is for confusion
    McG.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > snark^ wrote:
    > > =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary clarke"
    > > warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=
    > >
    > >> Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually
    > >> sold quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being
    > >> a bit precious about that sort of thing!
    > >
    > > PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
    > > XBoxers: "U sux!"
    > > PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
    > > XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
    > > best gfx!!"
    > > PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
    > > XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"
    > >

    > > --
    > > We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning.
    > > Every morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven
    >
    > XBOX is for pretty
    > PS2 is for sports
    > PC is for confusion
    > McG.

    I hope noone thought that I was singing the praises of the Xbox. I was
    actually praising a game. I have the box because at present I am not in a
    position to play games on my computer. I would love to be able to return to
    PC gaming, but that won't be for a while.

    I'm sorry that this is the aspect of the post that attracted attention.

    Mary
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    mary clarke wrote:
    >> snark^ wrote:
    >>> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary
    >>> clarke" warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=

    >>> PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
    >>> XBoxers: "U sux!"
    >>> PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
    >>> XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
    >>> best gfx!!"
    >>> PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
    >>> XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning.
    >>> Every morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven
    >>
    >> XBOX is for pretty
    >> PS2 is for sports
    >> PC is for confusion
    >> McG.
    >>

    > I hope noone thought that I was singing the praises of the Xbox. I
    > was actually praising a game. I have the box because at present I am
    > not in a position to play games on my computer. I would love to be
    > able to return to PC gaming, but that won't be for a while.
    >
    > I'm sorry that this is the aspect of the post that attracted
    > attention.
    >
    > Mary

    Oh not to worry about that Mary! My bit in that was in jest :)
    Although of all the young folks I know that are into the games, they
    don't want a PC at all. Those that use XBox seem to like the graphical
    beauty of the games more than the physics. Those using PS2 seem to love
    all the sports games whether they're gorgeous graphicswise or not. Most
    of the young guys at work do have PS2's, and they are heavily into
    sports games. Basketball, Football (american) and racing. I guess they
    like some of th Kung Fu type games too. One guy has an XBox, and he
    plays Halo almost exclusively.
    McG.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > There are quite a few people who have judged this game on the basis of the
    > demo. The first level (demo) is not particularly representative of the
    rest
    > of the game, but even that level is worth replaying again, once you begin
    > realise what you've missed the first time round. The game has suffered
    from
    > the demo, which is a shame. The controls are actually fine, although one
    or
    > two things are a bit tricky. I'm sorry the demo has put you off, try not
    > let it. I think it's an amazing game.

    Arright. If I can find it at a video store somewhere, I'll hire it out - I
    promise! failing that, I'll just buy it from EB and if I don't like
    it....well. I'll return it.

    Ok, I'll give it a go Mary!

    > Mary
    >
    > "Dragoncarer" <dc@haha.noflames> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually
    sold
    > > > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
    > > > precious about that sort of thing! I have played Galleon, and it is
    > > > marvellous. Anyone who has enjoyed the early Tombraider games, would
    > > love
    > > > this. It's full of romantic adventure, stunning and huge levels, lots
    > of
    > > > secrets, plenty of ways of playing the game. Sadly, it's only out on
    > the
    > > > Xbox. But the game itself is worth every penny I spent on that
    console
    > > > (which I bought to play Thief). Give it a try if you can! It's
    > > > breathtaking!
    > > >

    > > I would have to disagree. Admittedly, I've only played a demo on the
    > > OXMAustralia disc, but....the controls leave much to be desired. I can't
    > > help but get the feeling that they tried to make the controls different
    > and
    > > unusual, and in so doing making them somewhat unmanageable. But anyway.
    > >
    > > > Mary
    > > >
    > > > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > Confounding
    > > 'Galleon'.

    > > that
    > > sign.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "mary clarke"
    > warbled on about "Toby Gard to return to TR" in a.g.t <<=
    >
    > > Galleon has only just been released in US. I think it has actually sold
    > > quite well here, but is slated for its graphics. Xboxers being a bit
    > > precious about that sort of thing!
    >
    > PS2-ters: "Our console is best so nyah!"
    > XBoxers: "U sux!"
    > PS2-ters: "Do not! PS2 got lota games!!"
    > XBoxers: "XBox games pwn PS2 gfx!!! We got the best gfx!! We got the
    > best gfx!!"
    > PC Own-ager: "Sif, n00bX0r..."
    > XBoxers: "We got the best _console_ gfx! XBox roolz! XBox rooz!"

    *bursts out laughing* so true. So true! Except, maybe without the extreme
    register change.

    > --
    > We expect the streets to be empty of dead bodies in the morning. Every
    > morning. This is a fairly recent expectation. ---Larry Niven
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > mary clarke wrote:
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    > >> XBOX is for pretty
    > >> PS2 is for sports
    > >> PC is for confusion
    > >> McG.
    > >>

    > > I hope noone thought that I was singing the praises of the Xbox. I
    > > was actually praising a game. I have the box because at present I am
    > > not in a position to play games on my computer. I would love to be
    > > able to return to PC gaming, but that won't be for a while.
    > >
    > > I'm sorry that this is the aspect of the post that attracted
    > > attention.
    > >
    > > Mary
    >
    > Oh not to worry about that Mary! My bit in that was in jest :)
    > Although of all the young folks I know that are into the games, they
    > don't want a PC at all. Those that use XBox seem to like the graphical
    > beauty of the games more than the physics. Those using PS2 seem to love
    > all the sports games whether they're gorgeous graphicswise or not. Most
    > of the young guys at work do have PS2's, and they are heavily into
    > sports games. Basketball, Football (american) and racing. I guess they
    > like some of th Kung Fu type games too. One guy has an XBox, and he
    > plays Halo almost exclusively.
    > McG.

    I think you're almost there McG. From my viewpoint, Xboxers like the box
    because of its graphical beauty, yes, but also - especially recently - its
    online capability. Which is far greater than the PS2.

    But PS2ers like the little black spaceship because there are just simply so
    many games. Sony leads because of this, I feel. They have far more games
    (with a greater range of licences) and therefore the 'gene pool' is wider:
    there's more likely to be better games than there is amongst the small range
    of Xbox games.

    I have both. But I dislike the PS2 because it's often jumpy and stally in
    games, and isn't as sharp or vivid in colours. It just can't do as much. But
    then it's far better at being a DVD player than an Xbox.

    So...if a game is available on both platforms, I go for the Xbox version.
    But I can still play all those Xbox or PS2 exclusive titles!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Dragoncarer wrote:
    >> mary clarke wrote:
    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> I hope noone thought that I was singing the praises of the Xbox. I
    >>> was actually praising a game. I have the box because at present I
    >>> am not in a position to play games on my computer. I would love to
    >>> be able to return to PC gaming, but that won't be for a while.
    >>>
    >>> I'm sorry that this is the aspect of the post that attracted
    >>> attention.
    >>>
    >>> Mary

    Additional to Mary: I've been following Toby Gard and his Galleon for
    as long as I've known about it. years. It saddened me to learn it
    would be an XBox exclusive, I was hoping I'd get to play it on my PC.
    Now I just get to hear about it :( And, no, nobody thought your were
    promoting the XBox at all. Some of us folks are just really bad about
    taking a thread completely somewhere other than where the original
    poster ever thought.
    Hoping we didn't upset you!
    Mike
    McG.

    >> Oh not to worry about that Mary! My bit in that was in jest :)
    >> Although of all the young folks I know that are into the games, they
    >> don't want a PC at all. Those that use XBox seem to like the
    >> graphical beauty of the games more than the physics. Those using
    >> PS2 seem to love all the sports games whether they're gorgeous
    >> graphicswise or not. Most of the young guys at work do have PS2's,
    >> and they are heavily into sports games. Basketball, Football
    >> (american) and racing. I guess they like some of th Kung Fu type
    >> games too. One guy has an XBox, and he plays Halo almost
    >> exclusively.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > I think you're almost there McG. From my viewpoint, Xboxers like the
    > box because of its graphical beauty, yes, but also - especially
    > recently - its online capability. Which is far greater than the PS2.
    >
    > But PS2ers like the little black spaceship because there are just
    > simply so many games. Sony leads because of this, I feel. They have
    > far more games (with a greater range of licences) and therefore the
    > 'gene pool' is wider: there's more likely to be better games than
    > there is amongst the small range of Xbox games.
    >
    > I have both. But I dislike the PS2 because it's often jumpy and
    > stally in games, and isn't as sharp or vivid in colours. It just
    > can't do as much. But then it's far better at being a DVD player than
    > an Xbox.
    >
    > So...if a game is available on both platforms, I go for the Xbox
    > version. But I can still play all those Xbox or PS2 exclusive titles!

    I've just got my pc, so I only hear about what's going on with the
    consoles. There are a nunmber of console only games I'd love to see on
    the pc!
    McG.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > Dragoncarer wrote:
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Additional to Mary: I've been following Toby Gard and his Galleon for
    > as long as I've known about it. years. It saddened me to learn it
    > would be an XBox exclusive, I was hoping I'd get to play it on my PC.
    > Now I just get to hear about it :( And, no, nobody thought your were
    > promoting the XBox at all. Some of us folks are just really bad about
    > taking a thread completely somewhere other than where the original
    > poster ever thought.
    > Hoping we didn't upset you!
    > Mike
    > McG.
    >

    > >> Oh not to worry about that Mary! My bit in that was in jest :)
    > >> Although of all the young folks I know that are into the games, they
    > >> don't want a PC at all. Those that use XBox seem to like the
    > >> graphical beauty of the games more than the physics. Those using
    > >> PS2 seem to love all the sports games whether they're gorgeous
    > >> graphicswise or not. Most of the young guys at work do have PS2's,
    > >> and they are heavily into sports games. Basketball, Football
    > >> (american) and racing. I guess they like some of th Kung Fu type
    > >> games too. One guy has an XBox, and he plays Halo almost
    > >> exclusively.
    > >> McG.
    > >>

    > > I think you're almost there McG. From my viewpoint, Xboxers like the
    > > box because of its graphical beauty, yes, but also - especially
    > > recently - its online capability. Which is far greater than the PS2.
    > >
    > > But PS2ers like the little black spaceship because there are just
    > > simply so many games. Sony leads because of this, I feel. They have
    > > far more games (with a greater range of licences) and therefore the
    > > 'gene pool' is wider: there's more likely to be better games than
    > > there is amongst the small range of Xbox games.
    > >
    > > I have both. But I dislike the PS2 because it's often jumpy and
    > > stally in games, and isn't as sharp or vivid in colours. It just
    > > can't do as much. But then it's far better at being a DVD player than
    > > an Xbox.
    > >
    > > So...if a game is available on both platforms, I go for the Xbox
    > > version. But I can still play all those Xbox or PS2 exclusive titles!
    >
    > I've just got my pc, so I only hear about what's going on with the
    > consoles. There are a nunmber of console only games I'd love to see on
    > the pc!
    > McG.

    And a number of PC-exclusives I'd love to see on my consoles!
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "mary clarke" <mary.cclarke@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > There are quite a few people who have judged this game on the basis of
    the
    > > demo. The first level (demo) is not particularly representative of the
    > rest
    > > of the game, but even that level is worth replaying again, once you
    begin
    > > realise what you've missed the first time round. The game has suffered
    > from
    > > the demo, which is a shame. The controls are actually fine, although
    one
    > or
    > > two things are a bit tricky. I'm sorry the demo has put you off, try
    not
    > > let it. I think it's an amazing game.
    >
    > Arright. If I can find it at a video store somewhere, I'll hire it out - I
    > promise! failing that, I'll just buy it from EB and if I don't like
    > it....well. I'll return it.
    >
    > Ok, I'll give it a go Mary!

    Yes! Please, please love this game.

    Mary