Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Low FPS when playing games

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 27, 2010 5:05:00 PM

Hello eveyone,

I am new to the site and have used this to fix alot of my issues. I have found myslef where I have no
idea what to do next. I used to play WOW with over 45 - 50fps on utlra setting now it drops to 6 - 10.
SInce this is the only game I play I downloaded a few other games and keep getting 15 - 20 fps.

Below is some information I am using: GPU-Z, Real TEmp, Spped Fan and Core Temp.

http://img844.imageshack.us/f/pica.png/

I notice that it says Speed Fan says that my system is at 86c, but have no idea why, any help will be
greatly appreciated.

v/r
lordace


Also here is an image of me tabbing out from playing MotoGP 08 Demo.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5682/pic2pp.png

GPU and Sytem got really hotter :0(

More about : low fps playing games

a c 103 à CPUs
July 27, 2010 5:18:28 PM

Welcome to toms mate :) 
Can you post specs of your system, Mobo graphics cards etc and well see what we can duct tape together for a solution :p 
Moto
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 5:19:41 PM

ur processor temps look ok to me, but ambient temp is too high..... may be it's time for u to re open ur case and wipe out dust and clear the air flow path.... try it...or try palying games when case is open.....see if that helps.... :D 
m
0
l
Related resources
July 27, 2010 5:24:47 PM

THank you guys.

First thing I am going to do is take a pic of my desktop so you can see what we
are dealing with. I will also uplaod my full systems specs, ASAP.

Gotta get the pregnant wife some food before she lowers my FPS and her temp goes up, LOL.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 5:26:09 PM

lordace said:
THank you guys.

First thing I am going to do is take a pic of my desktop so you can see what we
are dealing with. I will also uplaod my full systems specs, ASAP.

Gotta get the pregnant wife some food before she lowers my FPS and her temp goes up, LOL.

:lol:  ya LOL.......
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
July 27, 2010 5:36:27 PM

Damn, let me check the raid tactics for the Irate other half boss.....


Not looking good dude, She has the [Cold shoulder] debuff,
some random attacks called [Its all your fault] and [My mother was right]
and occasionally teleports you to sleep on the couch,
I'd keep her fed and happy man, and congratulations to both of you :) 
Moto
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 5:47:52 PM

If your running on a ATi card, you may want to check drivers, although I doubt they'll cause that dramatic of a fall in fps, the last 2 10.5 and 10.6 were pretty bad. you may want to backup to 10.4.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 5:49:42 PM

Those temperatures looks normal. try to clean up your registry to remove unnecessary processes,and see if it helps.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 5:51:03 PM

Computerrock1 said:
If your running on a ATi card, you may want to check drivers, although I doubt they'll cause that dramatic of a fall in fps, the last 2 10.5 and 10.6 were pretty bad. you may want to backup to 10.4.




he is not using an ati card, he is using a gtx 280.see the pics he uploaded.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 9:44:18 PM

First off thank you all for helping me out here and thanks for the best wishes for me and my wife. I think I will need it more than she does :0).

I have changed drivers from latest drivers to Beta drivers and back again, no idea. Also I have CA PC Tune Up and made sure no other studd was running.

I also have a Dust remover air can and cleaned everything inside.

(Sorry for all the links)

Here are two pics of my rig:

http://img265.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture001fp.jpg

Below are the specs:

http://img201.imageshack.us/f/specst.png/

If anything else is needed please let me know.


m
0
l
July 27, 2010 9:47:35 PM

Also I downloaded Order of War (DEMO) and I did not change the settings and it was at like 15 - 18 fps :0(

Trying stuff out.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 9:49:03 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Damn, let me check the raid tactics for the Irate other half boss.....


Not looking good dude, She has the [Cold shoulder] debuff,
some random attacks called [Its all your fault] and [My mother was right]
and occasionally teleports you to sleep on the couch,
I'd keep her fed and happy man, and congratulations to both of you :) 
Moto


OMG TO DAMN FUNNY BRO!!! Almost wet mi panties, LOL
m
0
l
a c 107 à CPUs
July 27, 2010 10:19:59 PM

Why is the Core Clock of the GTX280 running at 300MHz? I thought that the Graphics Clock for the GeForce GTX 280 is suppose to be 602 MHz according to nVIDIA's specifications.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 10:26:03 PM

I do not know why it says 300, but I opened it again and now it is reading 615 - 617.1 the GPU Core CLock.

NOW...

I just checked again, for some reason it goes from 300 to 600 and vice versa. SHould it be doing that?
m
0
l
a c 107 à CPUs
July 27, 2010 10:53:06 PM

Take a look in the NVIDIA Control Panel under the Performance category. In the Device settings option click on the GPU icon.

What radio button is selected, Factory shipped frequencies, or Custom? If Factory shipped frequencies is selected what is the number displayed in the "Core clock:" box to the right of the slider control? Is it NVIDIA's 602 MHz specification or something close to it?

Do you have any Profile policies set up that might be changing the GPU's Core clock?
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 11:27:29 PM

ko888 said:
Take a look in the NVIDIA Control Panel under the Performance category. In the Device settings option click on the GPU icon.

What radio button is selected, Factory shipped frequencies, or Custom? If Factory shipped frequencies is selected what is the number displayed in the "Core clock:" box to the right of the slider control? Is it NVIDIA's 602 MHz specification or something close to it?

Do you have any Profile policies set up that might be changing the GPU's Core clock?



Hello,

I am sorry, but I am not sure where to find what you are asking me about. When I right click my desktop and then I go to NVIDIA Control Panel this is what I get:

http://img714.imageshack.us/i/configuration.png/

Where do I go from here. Sorry never messsed around with this too much. Also I don't think I have anything in profile policies that might change the gpu core clock, i think? Don't know what you mean by that either.

Sorry im learning as I go :0)
m
0
l
a c 107 à CPUs
July 27, 2010 11:41:42 PM

Sorry to mislead you there.

I also have NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support v6.06 installed so a bunch of extra performance tuning and monitoring categories show up in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 12:16:25 AM

Does the pic have the info you requested, though?
m
0
l
a c 107 à CPUs
July 28, 2010 12:30:58 AM

lordace said:
Does the pic have the info you requested, though?

No.
m
0
l
August 2, 2010 9:33:43 PM

I downloaded speedfan and it says that my system is at 88 - 90c but it says:

(Whiel gamming):
- GPU - 60c
- CPU - 35 - 40c (all four of my cores are arround 35 - 39)

anyone knows if this is the cause of my bad fps?
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
August 3, 2010 6:13:46 AM

Those temps (Whilst gaming ones) look fine to me whilst your playing,
Sorry to see you've not got sorted yet tho man :( 
Moto
m
0
l
August 3, 2010 7:34:08 AM

There is only one way now, reinstall windows and install new drivers.
m
0
l
August 3, 2010 9:20:10 AM

temps r looking ok to me... maybe u should defrag the HDD..... and run a virus scan......
m
0
l
August 6, 2010 5:31:07 PM

LOL thank you all. I have done all the above:

- Re-installed windows.
- Installed new drivers again
- Ran Anti-Virus CA
- Defraged hard drive
- Pruchased a heat sink now all my temps are even lower
-- GPU doesnt go over 55 - 58 (while gamming).
-- Cores donr go over 34 -36.
- Unplugged everything and dusted everything out
- Re-seated everything.
- Took a gun to my head and pulled the trigger, but forgot to load the damn thing.

o well... I am thinking it is almost 2 yrs old so I am going to build a new one.

I have no idea anything about AMD and want to go AMD. All i know about is intel very well, but nothing about AMD.

If i may can i ask some questions here about mobo, graphics, mem, etc.
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
August 6, 2010 6:14:46 PM

I'd say the best bet in that scenario is to post a new build thread, budget,intended use etc, and you should get a few suggested builds posted in no time man :) 
Moto
m
0
l
August 6, 2010 8:09:21 PM

Moto,

You rock, I post it there then, thank you so much. I also have the ADM processor that I want its just another few suggestions.

You all rock thank you so very much. 5 stars to all you guys.
m
0
l
!