Case and graphics cards size

jaksart

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i bought a cooler master elite 310 for a system i am building. i want to buy an ati hd 4890 and i saw on a forum that you needed 10.5 inches for it to fit into your case. i read on another website that the card was actually 9.5 inches long. my case manual says to make sure your video card doesn't exceed 8.7inches or it will cause damage. i measured how much room there was from the expansion slots in the back of the case to the drive bays at the front and there was about 10.8 inches of space. I also watched a video saying that it could fit full length video cards. i am wondering if it will fit even though the manual says its shouldn't, but there seems to be plenty of room. i also thought about getting an ati hd 5770 because they are supposed to be pretty descent and a little over 8 inches long, but they aren't supposed to be as good as the 4890.
thanks.

I think that case could fit a 10.5" card as long as the PCI-E power connectors don't go on the end that faces the front of the case. I don't see how a long graphics card would damage a case tho...
The reference 4890 is 9.5". Obviously non-reference designs will be different.