Sign in with
Your question

Slow SSD boot time (during Windows 7 load)

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Windows 7
  • Boot
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 10, 2012 2:47:58 AM

I bought an Intel 520 60GB SSD and initially it ran fantastically, programs were lightning quick to open and boot times were in the order of 19 seconds. I turned my computer on one day and my boot times were more like 37 seconds, with the majority of that time coming from the Windows 7 splash screen (which initially barely appeared). Once Windows 7 was loaded everything was fine however. I tried re-installing Windows to no avail and my SATA configuration is set to AHCI. I've got some screen shots of benchmarks as well. Any help would be appreciated!

More about : slow ssd boot time windows load

a b $ Windows 7
a c 544 G Storage
July 10, 2012 3:14:47 AM

Your ATTO results are excellent.

Your AS-SSD Sequential Reads should be closer to 500MB/s and your Sequential Writes should be closer to 300MB/s.

Your drive should be connected to one of the 2 Intel 6Gb/s ports, not one of the 2 ASMedia 6Gb/s ports.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 544 G Storage
July 10, 2012 3:24:55 AM

I apologize. The 500/300 speeds I listed in my last post were for the 240GB model, not the 60GB model.

A review at AnandTech benchmarked the drive at 301.1MB Read and 91.8MB/s Write.

So your AS-SSD results are pretty good as well.

Here's a link to the review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5508/intel-ssd-520-review...

I don't know what's causing your slow boot times but your drive appears to be in good condition.
m
l
July 10, 2012 3:32:49 AM

U have to check whether TRIM function is turned on in win 7.

To enable or disable TRIM Command, you will need to open an Elevated Command Prompt window.

How To Open an Elevated Command Prompt window: Click on Start Orb > Type "CMD.exe" in Search box > Right click on "CMD" and select "Run as Administrator" (If you receive a prompt confirmation, click YES)

How to Enable TRIM Command

In the Elevated command Prompt windows, type the following:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

How to Disable TRIM Command

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
Results explained below:
DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)
m
l
!