John Duders

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: One Month BUDGET RANGE: $1500 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: This is going to be my work & play PC. I'm a web designer / developer so I need some serious multitasking (coding programs / Photoshop) and I want to use the unit as my primary gaming device. Lots of gaming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Just Newegg.

PARTS PREFERENCES: 24" monitor at a minimum or maybe even dual screens. I want to be able to SLI or XFire in the future (or even now, if fiscally possible). I definitely like Intel's i7 and I'm pretty partial to a roomy case.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, in the future. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 or better.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I haven't built a PC in a few years, so I'm concerned if I have any inconsistencies in my current build. I'm also just looking for general advice about what I have listed as well.

MOBO: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA
MONITOR: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1
OPTIC: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
GPU: ? I'm really not sure whether to go with ATI or NVidia. I do know that I'll want to double them up in the near future. What's good?
FAN: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Alright, my friends, what are my problems? We'll have to note that the rebates and combo packages may not be around in the next month, so try not to factor in too many combo deals, unless they run through June. I'm definitely in the dark when it comes to GPUs, as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT 1: Updated the case to Antec Nine Hundred Two and Cooler Master Hyper 212 fan.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Be sure to get the Antec 902 as it has better options for neater cabling which whill help in maintaining decent airflow. Failing that for a bit more cash the 1200 is fantastic :)

I confess to being a long term Nvidia fan, but the current offerings from them are poor value. Best options at the moment are the ATI 58** cards - offering the best performance to price ratio.

Corsair PSU is a good choice... 750W is a little more than you need, but better to have capactiy for future upgrades.

xurwin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
or just get the coolmaster haff 922 case. its a BIG case on a SMALL price. and fan? cm hyper 212. and for the video card. ati is just crushing nvdia right now. so stick with the ati 5850. so later on when you crossfire. u get a much powerful performace.

John Duders

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
@ulysses The Antec 902 is pretty hot (figuratively), I'll definitely go with that one.

@xurwin CM Hyper 212 looks badass, especially for the money. Great choice.

@cowgod I was hoping to stay around $1500 for the build, but it's pretty flexible. I want this thing to treat me right for a while.

John Duders

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Alright, I think I'm going with an ATI 5850. I'll start with one and probably install a second one later on this year. Should I go with:

SAPPHIRE TOXIC 100282TXSR Radeon HD 5850

or

DIAMOND 5850PE51G Radeon HD 5850 1GB ?

Am I going to run in to any compatibility issues with any of the parts listed above? Also, are there any weird 64-bit issues I should know about? This is my first 64-bit machine, any help is appreciated.