Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI Overdrive

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 21, 2010 7:07:10 AM

I wanted to overclock my HD 5670 and increase the fan speed manually. But when I go into the Catalsyt Control Center, I am unable to change any settings. Here is a screenshot.

More about : ati overdrive

a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 9:15:33 AM

Do you have the latest VGA drivers installed ?
Score
April 21, 2010 9:28:59 AM

Try clicking on the Key icon
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 9:33:30 AM

click the key to unlock, click okay to the disclaimer, and then check the 'enable overdrive' box.
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 9:39:47 AM

Well even if he doesn't click on the icon,he should be able too see the sliders but without the ability to change them.
But yes click on it to unlock just to be sure
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 6:26:38 PM

Maziar said:
Well even if he doesn't click on the icon,he should be able too see the sliders but without the ability to change them.
But yes click on it to unlock just to be sure

Actually, CCC hides most of that page until you hit the key and agree to the disclaimer, perhaps to stop people from seeing that the sliders aren't all the way at the end, running them all the way, and wondering why it stopped working.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 6:29:02 PM

Mine lets me see the sliders and settings, even when locked. Maybe some CCC versions block it?
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 6:32:07 PM

Quite possibly, I know that mine has before (I can't remember which version it was, as I've long since stopped using Overdrive to overclock, and can't overclock on my 5870 anyways, because of the driver downclock flickering issues).
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 6:34:38 PM

Completely off topic, but could you describe the flickering? Is it constant, or just right when the clocks change?
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 6:40:58 PM

Only when the clocks change. I haven't yet flashed the BIOS of the card correctly to set my own, mildly higher low-clocks. Last time I tried that, it would lock up upon downclocking, as my Vapor-X 5870 lowers the voltage quite a bit in idle mode. Heck, even the voltage at high clocks is .1v lower than the reference cards.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 6:42:19 PM

Ah, ok. I just use MSI Afterburner on my Sapphire 5850, however that only works for Reference and MSI cards I believe.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 6:47:14 PM

EXT64 said:
Mine lets me see the sliders and settings, even when locked. Maybe some CCC versions block it?

Me too
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 8:33:16 PM

EXT64 said:
Ah, ok. I just use MSI Afterburner on my Sapphire 5850, however that only works for Reference and MSI cards I believe.

I can use MSI Afterburner, as well, though I cannot set any voltages (hard locked in the BIOS), and when I tell it to use custom idle clocks, it doesn't clock down at all.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2010 8:41:44 PM

Mine doesn't clock down either. So I have two main profiles, an OC'ed and a stock. I only turn the OCed on for (a couple) games, otherwise it stays on full stock where downclocking works. Since it only takes a second or two to switch profiles, it isn't that much of a hassle.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 4:02:30 AM

jedi, you can overvolt with a 5870 and MSI afterburner, thats how i achieved my clocks.

open the msiafterburtner.ini file and change the 'enable unlimited overclocking' setting to 1.

I have a reference sapphire card (same BIOS i assume) and hit 1000/1300 @ 1.25v.

i also don;t get any flickering issues, though when using MSI afterburner it no longer downclocks at idle. i wish ATI would hurry up and remove the limit to OCing in CCC...
Score
April 22, 2010 11:13:34 AM

Best answer selected by f2prateek.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 12:47:17 PM

welshmousepk said:
jedi, you can overvolt with a 5870 and MSI afterburner, thats how i achieved my clocks.

open the msiafterburtner.ini file and change the 'enable unlimited overclocking' setting to 1.

I have a reference sapphire card (same BIOS i assume) and hit 1000/1300 @ 1.25v.

i also don;t get any flickering issues, though when using MSI afterburner it no longer downclocks at idle. i wish ATI would hurry up and remove the limit to OCing in CCC...

I don't have a reference card, though. The new Vapor-X model uses all new VRMs and a different PCboard, so you can't change the voltage.

I only get the flickering issues when I overclock the card and it still tries to downclock to 157/300.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2010 1:03:47 PM

Maybe that is why (even if I OC in CCC) the card either does not downclock or only downclocks to 500/750 :lol: 
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 2:55:58 AM

ah i see, i though the vapor-x was the same card with a different cooler. that sucks then, getting a card with a better cooler but that you can't overclock?

im not sure how my card will overclcok now, just got done replacing the heatsink with an aftermarket, basically it blew. re-installed the old one but realized i'd broken some of the thermal pads :S
just ran a stress test and crashed the system. hope i havn't broken my card :( 
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 2:59:27 AM

Well, check temps. You did remove all the plastic protective covers from the new cooler, right? I once forgot that (on my 4850) and I knew immediately the temps were too high. Ironic part is though, even with the plastic, the aftermarket cooler did better :lol:  .
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 3:23:53 AM

yeah, the cooler was cooling okay, the problem was the thermal tape on the VRM sinks was failing to stick, and they kept falling off. figures id jsut go back to the reference, it was plenty cool enough really. i just wanted to shave a few degrees off. too much hassle though.

just running another stress test now with slightly lowered clocks (870mhz isnstead of 900) and it seems fine.
Score
!