Current i7-860 Gaming rig to turn into a Hackintosh?

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I was planning on building a hackintosh with this i7 Rig, but dropped the idea due to financial reasons and need a new PC immediately. Now I have some more time and money and Iam planning on turning my rig into a full-fledged Hackintosh. My current PC Specs:

-i7-860
-Intel DP55WB
-RipJaws 4GB(2X2GB) @ 1333
-EVGA GTX 260
-OCZ Modular 700W PSU
-LG DVD +/-RW
-1TB Caviar Black(partioned as a 200GB Drive for OS and a 731GB Drive for Movies)
-750GB Barracuda 7200.12(not partitioned, its for pictures and games)
-2TB Fantom(its for backup)

Iam planning on replacing the MOBO for a :

MSI p55m-GD45

because this guy:

http://aarghaknot.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/p55core-i7-hackintosh/

has the entire guide on how to and i want to use all the parts he does so I dont screw anything up. So what do you thinK?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
I think there's plenty of other guides and whatnot. I'd call buying another compatible mobo a waste of money.

As long as whatever hard drive and whatnot you wanna use for the hackintosh side doesn't have anything important there's nothing you can really mess up and render inoperable. It's not like they flash the BIOS or anything. It's mostly just software hacks.

Keep in mind I've never done any of it (simply because I have no want or need to use OSX, I'm happy with win7 ubuntu and XP) so that's as far as far as I can advise you. I did get curious and look at stuff once, so I know there are multiple sites about it and multiple methods. The one I thought had the most merit was chameleon IIRC.

So free up some space (you'll likely need a hard drive to devote to it) and just try stuff till it works. If I were you I'd simply disconnect all the hard drives I want to not be messed with while doing that.

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

Well Iam not much of an OS X fan, but recently I need to edit a video and Iam familar with iLife and instaed I had to use Windows Movie Maker. I just want the option of a Mac just in case.