Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Grease

Last response: in CPUs
July 27, 2010 6:20:37 PM

I was wondering:

If i'll buy new CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E6500, will i NEED to apply Termal Grease (CPU paste)? Will my CPU work without it? I will not over-clock.

More about : thermal grease

a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 6:25:10 PM

haha, no, with or without ocing it, you will fry it. Thermal paste is what allows the cpu to be in contact with the heatsink. Without it there is no heat transfering from cpu to heatsink, which means a hot cpu!
a c 105 à CPUs
July 27, 2010 6:28:46 PM

if you purchase the consumer version of a CPU, it will come with heat sink. the heat sink will have a layer of thermal paste on it so no need to purchase any (unless you want to). also if you purchase an after market cooler, most will come with paste.

if you purchase an OEM version of a CPU (does not come with a cooler) or you simply plan to re-use your old heat sink. then you would need thermal paste.

i strongly suggest using thermal paste, can a CPU work without it? yes, but it can also be severely damaged without it. why risk it?
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
July 27, 2010 6:35:59 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

If u buy the E6500 NEW u don't need apply anything since all CPUs comes with thermal grease pre-apply from the manufacturer.

If the CPU is used u need buy the thermal grease and the Artic Silver 5 is a very good option and isn't expensive.
a c 107 à CPUs
July 28, 2010 2:06:22 AM

Is it an OEM CPU or is it a retail boxed CPU?

An OEM CPU is just the CPU chip itself with no heatsink and fan included. You will have to provide your own heatsink and fan and your own thermal interface material.

If it's a retail boxed CPU it will include a heatsink with fan that will have a square/rectangle of thermal interface material already applied.
July 28, 2010 6:46:01 AM

It's contained no fan or heatsink, but it's 100% new from a shop.
a c 107 à CPUs
July 28, 2010 6:53:12 AM

That's an OEM CPU.

Make sure you remove all of the old thermal interface material from the heatsink before you apply any new thermal interface material. Follow the thermal interface material manufacturer's application instructions to ensure you get the most effective thermal contact.
July 28, 2010 7:06:08 AM

Thanks for help!

Thumbs up for everyone!
!