winipcfg

Using xp sp1 and trying to configure my wirless BB. Following the menu at
start/run 'minipcfg', the pc says it cannot find the file. when I do a search
, it also cannot find the file. What is this 'winipcfg'?

When I search in another working xpsp1, the search also give negative
result. But when I go to Win 2k, there is a file which is under ""f:\windows\
""

Are they not suppose to be in XP?
12 answers Last reply
More about winipcfg

    ryt wrote:
    > Using xp sp1 and trying to configure my wirless BB. Following the menu at
    > start/run 'minipcfg', the pc says it cannot find the file. when I do a search
    > , it also cannot find the file. What is this 'winipcfg'?
    >
    > When I search in another working xpsp1, the search also give negative
    > result. But when I go to Win 2k, there is a file which is under ""f:\windows\
    > ""
    >
    > Are they not suppose to be in XP?

    "WINIPCFG" is the Win9x command to show your computers IP
    configuration. Naturally, this command won't be found on a WinXP
    computer. To the same information on a WinXP machine, Click Start >
    Run, and type in CMD. Then, from the command prompt, type IPCONFIG /?
    to get the full list of options available.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    ryt wrote:
    > Using xp sp1 and trying to configure my wireless BB. Following the menu at
    > start/run 'minipcfg', the pc says it cannot find the file. when I do a
    > search
    > , it also cannot find the file. What is this 'winipcfg'?
    >
    > When I search in another working xpsp1, the search also give negative
    > result. But when I go to Win 2k, there is a file which is under
    > ""f:\windows\
    >
    > Are they not suppose to be in XP?

    'winipcfg' was Windows 95/98.
    'ipconfig' is Windows 2000/xp.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

    WNTIPCFG.EXE does not come with XP, but works fine with XP.

    Use ipconfig.

    To display an ipconfig help message...

    Open a cmd prompt and type:

    ipconfig /?

    Hit your Enter key.

    You can get the Windows 2000 version of IPCONFIG here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

    I have it installed on my XP Pro machine and it works fine.

    Thanks to a tip from...
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:74C48093-1AE7-4B86-877C-D59CB518D8B6@microsoft.com,
    ryt <ryt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Using xp sp1 and trying to configure my wirless BB. Following the
    > menu at start/run 'minipcfg', the pc says it cannot find the file.
    > when I do a search , it also cannot find the file. What is this
    > 'winipcfg'?
    >
    > When I search in another working xpsp1, the search also give
    > negative result. But when I go to Win 2k, there is a file which is
    > under ""f:\windows\ ""
    >
    > Are they not suppose to be in XP?

    The file WNTIPCFG.EXE can be downloaded from the Microsoft web site and used
    to determine the configuration and it does not have to be run from the
    command line - it can be run from within Windows.

    "ryt" <ryt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Using xp sp1 and trying to configure my wirless BB. Following the menu at
    > start/run 'minipcfg', the pc says it cannot find the file. when I do a
    > search
    > , it also cannot find the file. What is this 'winipcfg'?
    >
    > When I search in another working xpsp1, the search also give negative
    > result. But when I go to Win 2k, there is a file which is under
    > ""f:\windows\
    > ""
    >
    > Are they not suppose to be in XP?

    Where (the path) do you install in XP?. So, if I download into a folder on
    desktop, closed it, then open and double clock it, it will then ask me for
    the path, then I just point it to the location, is it correct? TIA

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > WNTIPCFG.EXE does not come with XP, but works fine with XP.
    >
    > Use ipconfig.
    >
    > To display an ipconfig help message...
    >
    > Open a cmd prompt and type:
    >
    > ipconfig /?
    >
    > Hit your Enter key.
    >
    > You can get the Windows 2000 version of IPCONFIG here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp
    >
    > I have it installed on my XP Pro machine and it works fine.
    >
    > Thanks to a tip from...
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:74C48093-1AE7-4B86-877C-D59CB518D8B6@microsoft.com,
    > ryt <ryt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Using xp sp1 and trying to configure my wirless BB. Following the
    > > menu at start/run 'minipcfg', the pc says it cannot find the file.
    > > when I do a search , it also cannot find the file. What is this
    > > 'winipcfg'?
    > >
    > > When I search in another working xpsp1, the search also give
    > > negative result. But when I go to Win 2k, there is a file which is
    > > under ""f:\windows\ ""
    > >
    > > Are they not suppose to be in XP?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    [[Setup for the Resource Kit Downloads
    Installing and Uninstalling This Tool
    [[The download from which this readme is extracted also contains a
    documentation file and the file or files necessary to run the tool.

    The download file is a self-extracting executable, either an .msi (Microsoft
    Software Installer) file or an .exe (executable) file. When you run this
    file, it installs the tool and documentation onto your computer.

    When you install a downloaded tool, you are prompted to choose an install
    directory. It is recommended that you install all future tool downloads and
    versions of the Windows 2000 Resource Kit into the same directory to avoid
    an overly large system path and to ensure more reliable upgrades. The
    recommended directory is C:\Program Files\Resource Kit]]
    From...
    C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\ToolDownloadReadme.htm

    C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\WNTIPCFG.EXE

    I don't use the command line. I have a shortcut to WNTIPCFG.EXE that I use.

    Target: "C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\WNTIPCFG.EXE"
    Start in: "C:\Program Files\Resource Kit"

    I have a couple of other tools in C:\Program Files\Resource Kit that I got
    from...

    In news:5E2211EA-E805-4C61-94E0-9DCC771B17DC@microsoft.com,
    ryt <ryt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Where (the path) do you install in XP?. So, if I download into a
    > folder on desktop, closed it, then open and double clock it, it will
    > then ask me for the path, then I just point it to the location, is it
    > correct? TIA
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> WNTIPCFG.EXE does not come with XP, but works fine with XP.
    >>
    >> Use ipconfig.
    >>
    >> To display an ipconfig help message...
    >>
    >> Open a cmd prompt and type:
    >>
    >> ipconfig /?
    >>
    >> Hit your Enter key.
    >>
    >> You can get the Windows 2000 version of IPCONFIG here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

    >> I have it installed on my XP Pro machine and it works fine.
    >>
    >> Thanks to a tip from...
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:74C48093-1AE7-4B86-877C-D59CB518D8B6@microsoft.com,
    >> ryt <ryt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Using xp sp1 and trying to configure my wirless BB. Following the
    >>> menu at start/run 'minipcfg', the pc says it cannot find the file.
    >>> when I do a search , it also cannot find the file. What is this
    >>> 'winipcfg'?
    >>>
    >>> When I search in another working xpsp1, the search also give
    >>> negative result. But when I go to Win 2k, there is a file which is
    >>> under ""f:\windows\ ""
    >>>
    >>> Are they not suppose to be in XP?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    In xp, at start/run I typed in 'ipconfig', what happen is that I can see a
    black dialogue box appear in a flash. Is this suppose to be this way or must
    the pc be hook up into the broadband. Just checking before I download your
    last post, thanks

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > [[Setup for the Resource Kit Downloads
    > Installing and Uninstalling This Tool
    > [[The download from which this readme is extracted also contains a
    > documentation file and the file or files necessary to run the tool.
    >
    > The download file is a self-extracting executable, either an .msi (Microsoft
    > Software Installer) file or an .exe (executable) file. When you run this
    > file, it installs the tool and documentation onto your computer.
    >
    > When you install a downloaded tool, you are prompted to choose an install
    > directory. It is recommended that you install all future tool downloads and
    > versions of the Windows 2000 Resource Kit into the same directory to avoid
    > an overly large system path and to ensure more reliable upgrades. The
    > recommended directory is C:\Program Files\Resource Kit]]
    > From...
    > C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\ToolDownloadReadme.htm
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\WNTIPCFG.EXE
    >
    > I don't use the command line. I have a shortcut to WNTIPCFG.EXE that I use.
    >
    > Target: "C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\WNTIPCFG.EXE"
    > Start in: "C:\Program Files\Resource Kit"
    >
    > I have a couple of other tools in C:\Program Files\Resource Kit that I got
    > from...
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:5E2211EA-E805-4C61-94E0-9DCC771B17DC@microsoft.com,
    > ryt <ryt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Where (the path) do you install in XP?. So, if I download into a
    > > folder on desktop, closed it, then open and double clock it, it will
    > > then ask me for the path, then I just point it to the location, is it
    > > correct? TIA
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> WNTIPCFG.EXE does not come with XP, but works fine with XP.
    > >>
    > >> Use ipconfig.
    > >>
    > >> To display an ipconfig help message...
    > >>
    > >> Open a cmd prompt and type:
    > >>
    > >> ipconfig /?
    > >>
    > >> Hit your Enter key.
    > >>
    > >> You can get the Windows 2000 version of IPCONFIG here:
    > >>
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp
    > >>
    > >> I have it installed on my XP Pro machine and it works fine.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks to a tip from...
    > >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
    > >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:74C48093-1AE7-4B86-877C-D59CB518D8B6@microsoft.com,
    > >> ryt <ryt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    A lot of commands do not work from the Start | Run box as you have seen.
    This has nothing to do with what kind of connection you have.

    You have to use the ipconfig command in a Command Prompt (cmd.exe).

    Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
    When the Command Prompt window opens, type:

    ipconfig /?

    Hit your Enter key.

    ipconfig /all is the command you probably want.

    You can also get to a Command Prompt this way...
    Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt

    Some additional info...

    Ipconfig
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ipconfig.mspx

    Checking the Configuration with Ipconfig
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcc_tcp_neeq.asp

    TCP/IP Troubleshooting
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/cnet/cnbd_trb_moxl.asp

    Verifying IP Installation
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcc_tcp_wryj.asp

    To test a TCP/IP configuration by using the ping command
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_tcpip_pro_ping.mspx

    Command-line reference A-Z
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx

    Or >>

    Command-line reference A-Z

    Start | Run | Copy and paste the following line:

    %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

    Click OK.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DA798DAA-8734-4C30-8609-77F5EC572118@microsoft.com,
    ryt <ryt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > In xp, at start/run I typed in 'ipconfig', what happen is that I can
    > see a black dialogue box appear in a flash. Is this suppose to be
    > this way or must the pc be hook up into the broadband. Just checking
    > before I download your last post, thanks
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> [[Setup for the Resource Kit Downloads
    >> Installing and Uninstalling This Tool
    >> [[The download from which this readme is extracted also contains a
    >> documentation file and the file or files necessary to run the tool.
    >>
    >> The download file is a self-extracting executable, either an .msi
    >> (Microsoft Software Installer) file or an .exe (executable) file.
    >> When you run this file, it installs the tool and documentation onto
    >> your computer.
    >>
    >> When you install a downloaded tool, you are prompted to choose an
    >> install directory. It is recommended that you install all future
    >> tool downloads and versions of the Windows 2000 Resource Kit into
    >> the same directory to avoid an overly large system path and to
    >> ensure more reliable upgrades. The recommended directory is
    >> C:\Program Files\Resource Kit]]
    >> From...
    >> C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\ToolDownloadReadme.htm
    >>
    >> C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\WNTIPCFG.EXE
    >>
    >> I don't use the command line. I have a shortcut to WNTIPCFG.EXE
    >> that I use.
    >>
    >> Target: "C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\WNTIPCFG.EXE"
    >> Start in: "C:\Program Files\Resource Kit"
    >>
    >> I have a couple of other tools in C:\Program Files\Resource Kit that
    >> I got from...
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:5E2211EA-E805-4C61-94E0-9DCC771B17DC@microsoft.com,
    >> ryt <ryt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Where (the path) do you install in XP?. So, if I download into a
    >>> folder on desktop, closed it, then open and double clock it, it will
    >>> then ask me for the path, then I just point it to the location, is
    >>> it correct? TIA

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    ryt wrote:
    > In xp, at start/run I typed in 'ipconfig', what happen is that I can see a
    > black dialogue box appear in a flash. Is this suppose to be this way or must
    > the pc be hook up into the broadband. Just checking before I download your
    > last post, thanks

    Ipconfig must be run from within the CLI (command prompt windows), not
    from the Start > Run dialog box to be of any use to you. Click Start >
    Run, and type in CMD. Click <OK>. Then, at the prompt, type IPCONFIG
    and press <Enter>. Type IPCONFIG /? and press <Enter> to see the
    command's proper syntax and options.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    ryt wrote:
    > In xp, at start/run I typed in 'ipconfig', what happen is that I can
    > see a black dialogue box appear in a flash. Is this suppose to be
    > this way or must the pc be hook up into the broadband. Just checking
    > before I download your last post, thanks

    Start --> Run

    cmd /k ipconfig /all

    Enjoy. (And Google is broken again? dangit. I'm glad it's free though.)

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > Ipconfig must be run from within the CLI (command prompt windows), not
    > from the Start > Run dialog box to be of any use to you. Click Start >
    > Run, and type in CMD. Click <OK>.

    The easy way is to put a C: icon on the desktop.
    Start|Programs|Accessories. Then right-click on Command Prompt and choose
    Create Shortcut. Put that shortcut on the desktop.
    There are a lot of "DOS" commands that run and quickly close the window if
    you use Start|Run. The above easy way avoids all that.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Steven Myers wrote:

    > The easy way is to put a C: icon on the desktop.
    > Start|Programs|Accessories. Then right-click on Command Prompt and choose
    > Create Shortcut. Put that shortcut on the desktop.
    > There are a lot of "DOS" commands that run and quickly close the window if
    > you use Start|Run. The above easy way avoids all that.

    Oh, I know. ;-} I have a shortcut to the CLI in my Quick launch bar,
    but most other people probably wouldn't be using the CLI often enough to
    justify adding another icon to their desktop, so I don't bother offering
    the tip.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: