Sign in with
Your question

6 days 3 bsod's

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2010 7:23:33 PM

hello, I'm getting bsods and can't figure out why. both tiems so fat happened watching video (once blueray rip, then watching online through flash player, both tiems full screen mode).

I'm running Phenom x4 655 on ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X, with G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) <-- latency for memoy changed in bios to 7-7-7-21-28 1t

windows 7 with kltie codec pack (waiting for new hard drives do didin't bother installing much)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 864BB434
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

dumps: http://anarxi.net/bsod/

More about : days bsod

May 23, 2010 8:19:20 PM

old xfx 7950gt

run memtest for couple hours, everythings fine, gonna leave overnight to get better results

from the dumps as little as I understand them, I think too something wrong with hardware access layer
m
l
May 24, 2010 1:07:33 PM

alright, after 11h of testing, no errors and one more bsod, also caused by hal.dll
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2010 5:44:21 PM

1. What PSU are you using?
2. DL HW monitor and give us an idea of temps.
3. Is RAM voltage set to correct numbers? Think it's 1.5v for that kit.
4. Did you do manual settings for both sticks of RAM? (some people only set 1 slot and assume it set's it for all the slots)
5. Are all drivers up to date?

m
l
May 24, 2010 6:45:54 PM

banthracis said:
1. What PSU are you using?
2. DL HW monitor and give us an idea of temps.
3. Is RAM voltage set to correct numbers? Think it's 1.5v for that kit.
4. Did you do manual settings for both sticks of RAM? (some people only set 1 slot and assume it set's it for all the slots)
5. Are all drivers up to date?

1. CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI
2. speed fan shows 40c (45 peak?) processor idle and 55c video idle (75-85peak for video) | dunno why video is so high, maybe because it deos not have active cooling, and something wrong with my case fan, but it should hold till 90-110c no problem
3. 1.5 manual
4. manual 7-7-7-21-[auto]-28- .. [auto] everything else, set in jump free settings (I think its for both?)
5. up to date
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2010 8:03:30 PM

4. RAM setting should be done in the BIOS and there are separate setting for each stick of RAM. Make sure you did do those settings for each stick of RAM as having sticks running at different timings can cause issues.

rest looks fine. Temps for GPU aren't bad at all.

Do the normal, check to make sure windows is up to date, make sure no malware/virus/adware.

Then Run Prim95, 4 threads, for 12 hrs (or as long as you can) and see if your comp has any errors.

Also check SMART data and run a checkdisk on your HD to make sure no corrupt sectors causing issues.

If all that fails, swap out your current GPU for one known to work.
If that fails, try swapping out the PSU.

If all that still doesn't work, then I'mma suggest a full reformat and reinstall of windows (make sure to backup all data first, obviosuly).

If ALL that still doesn't work, then come back with some results and we'll think of something else.

Technically, SMART and checkdisk should rule out HD, Prime95 CPU, and MOBO is highly unlikely as your system is booting and working most of the time.
m
l
May 27, 2010 5:42:57 PM

banthracis said:
4. RAM setting should be done in the BIOS and there are separate setting for each stick of RAM. Make sure you did do those settings for each stick of RAM as having sticks running at different timings can cause issues.

rest looks fine. Temps for GPU aren't bad at all.

Do the normal, check to make sure windows is up to date, make sure no malware/virus/adware.

Then Run Prim95, 4 threads, for 12 hrs (or as long as you can) and see if your comp has any errors.

Also check SMART data and run a checkdisk on your HD to make sure no corrupt sectors causing issues.

If all that fails, swap out your current GPU for one known to work.
If that fails, try swapping out the PSU.

If all that still doesn't work, then I'mma suggest a full reformat and reinstall of windows (make sure to backup all data first, obviosuly).

If ALL that still doesn't work, then come back with some results and we'll think of something else.

Technically, SMART and checkdisk should rule out HD, Prime95 CPU, and MOBO is highly unlikely as your system is booting and working most of the time.

Prime95 overnight on intense no errors (7h+)
Memory on [auto] (higher latencys 9 9 9...) no errors (7h+)

Come home to see windows recovered from bsod.. nothing was running.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2010 7:50:25 PM

Wait, did it BSOD from Prime95 or Memtest?

Also, memory voltages and timings should be manually set to manufacturer specifications in the BIOS. Make sure you do this for each stick, as you must set timings separately for each slot.
m
l
May 27, 2010 8:03:08 PM

banthracis said:
Wait, did it BSOD from Prime95 or Memtest?

Also, memory voltages and timings should be manually set to manufacturer specifications in the BIOS. Make sure you do this for each stick, as you must set timings separately for each slot.

BSOD on neither, I tested memory 2 days ago, and processor last night. bsod'ed this morning on idle (running just os).
Didint test S.M.A.R.T. because just yesterday replaced all with brand new wd's. (os reinsall too, newest drivers for audio and nvidia, rest win7).

My asus mainboard sets latencys for both?

I dont think DRAM 2nd information = 2nd dimm slot, because it got weird (for me) latancies

bdos'ed before when it was set to 7-7-7-21-[auto]-28- ... [auto] everything else and 1.5 voltage manually
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2010 8:13:14 PM

You'll have to check the MOBO manual to see if timings are universal or per slot, it's usually per slot.

Move on to HD testing I guess. I assume you did a full reformat before the OS reinstall?
m
l
May 27, 2010 8:31:58 PM

banthracis said:
You'll have to check the MOBO manual to see if timings are universal or per slot, it's usually per slot.

Move on to HD testing I guess. I assume you did a full reformat before the OS reinstall?

same bsod with old hdd, and now with new one? (old disconnected) very very unlikely.

I switched to archlinux now (always use ans 2ndary os) will see if its driver problem..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2010 8:36:25 PM

Missed the new HD part. Ok then, let's try this. Boot in safe mode (this'll eliminate most driver issues) and see if it'll BSOD still.

If so, then do a PSU swap and see if that helps. Don't need to buy a new one, can just borrow one or grab one from another system. Make sure enough wattage.

If that doesn't work, then try GPU swapping.
m
l
May 27, 2010 9:29:23 PM

banthracis said:
Missed the new HD part. Ok then, let's try this. Boot in safe mode (this'll eliminate most driver issues) and see if it'll BSOD still.

If so, then do a PSU swap and see if that helps. Don't need to buy a new one, can just borrow one or grab one from another system. Make sure enough wattage.

If that doesn't work, then try GPU swapping.

eh, and I thought I paid extra buck for quality parts ;] safe mode isint realy an option, couse its a current workstation. so far ~9hours no bsod on linux
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 27, 2010 11:05:08 PM

Doesn't matter how expensive a part is, if it has a manufacturing defect it won't work right^^
m
l
June 2, 2010 12:07:21 AM

2 days no bsod wth one ram module
2 days no bsod with another ram module
1 day bsod running both in black slots
1 day bsod running botn in blue slots

should I rma mb?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 2, 2010 12:20:31 AM

Looks like bad MOBO, but do a memtest and test each stick of RAM you have to see if they're any errors in them. IE test them 1 at a time just to be safe, unless you've already done this.

It could still just be bad RAM, though it's more likely a case of something wrong with dual channel controller on the MOBO.
m
l
June 2, 2010 12:30:50 AM

gonna buy gigabyte, while rma this one, then sell on ebay. too many complains about this asus online, to trust
m
l
June 4, 2010 2:15:34 AM

Ok, I canceled motherboard RMA due to new development.

Got same 0x0..0124 bsod with one memory stick. Now I'm at the point, where after computer was turned off overnight, if I turn it on, and play a video ar a game it will bsod in 15-2hours. after reboot it will last couple days.

2 things I didin't test: video card (don't have anything to swap, since motherboard does not have integrated one) and PSU.
m
l
June 14, 2010 12:00:03 AM

random bsod's still present (can't select best answer as system requested), running 2nd with no bsods so far.. will get one soon.. in couple weeks I'll buy new VGA, maybe issue is there, with an old one's compatibility
m
l
!