NVidia 9800 GT

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hey, I have an nVidia 7900 GS KO in my Compaq Presario desktop. I found an nVidia 9800 GT for $60. It's a really nice card, almost brand new. But my problem is that if I get a bigger card I don't know if it will fit past my north bridge. My 7900 GS KO is pretty close but good. Also I have a 250w power supply that WILL NOT run it, I know for a fact. Also my cpu prob. won't handle it but i think it can. My processor will be ok. Please help, i don't know if it will fit and I don't want to buy it and then it not even fit in my comp.http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/redface.gif

Solution
I have had 3 EVGA 7900GS KO cards in the past ( landed two for the price of one) and they are the same length as a 9800gt as for power you will need a better psu. Unlike Dell you can use over the counter psu from such brands as Antec or Enermax. I suggest a Quality 400w or better psu but you might get by just fine with a 350w quality unit. Note do not buy the eco or green editions they draw their power from the slot and is common for boards to have issues with them. They pull the full rated limit that the slot can provide and not all boards can work relibly with that load depending on the quality of the board but since it is a Compaq and not some ECS pos I give it 50/50 chance of working. If you are getting the normal 9800gt then it is...

UberGenocide

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

For your situation...i would just buy another computer, or buy parts and build a new one

Seems that your hardware is really outdated(250W PSU) and that upgrading little by little will be a waste

Go to newegg.com and search for complete computers or parts to build one

Thanks

Uber

I have had 3 EVGA 7900GS KO cards in the past ( landed two for the price of one) and they are the same length as a 9800gt as for power you will need a better psu. Unlike Dell you can use over the counter psu from such brands as Antec or Enermax. I suggest a Quality 400w or better psu but you might get by just fine with a 350w quality unit. Note do not buy the eco or green editions they draw their power from the slot and is common for boards to have issues with them. They pull the full rated limit that the slot can provide and not all boards can work relibly with that load depending on the quality of the board but since it is a Compaq and not some ECS pos I give it 50/50 chance of working. If you are getting the normal 9800gt then it is a steal ($20 us saved) and are higher performing.

Solution

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks, that's very helpful. I know that my cpu, processor, etc. will have noooo prob. but i will definitely need at least a 350w psu. My friend just traded his ATI HD 5770 for a 5870....lucky bastard...... and is getting a 600w and probably giving me his 500w. :bounce:

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

the only problem really is my psu but everything else is good.

My Specs:

AMD Athlon X2 4450e dual core
3GB ram @ 800
250GB Hard Drive
250W PSU
nVidia 7900 GT KO