Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD vs Intel

Last response: in CPUs
July 27, 2010 7:53:49 PM

Hi everyone, Ive recently been getting into computers and have noticed a lot of people seem to love Intels new i series processors. I guess what Im trying to ask is what sets Intel above AMD with performace? Also, Ive been browsing neweggs site on procesors and have noticed that an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T is priced for only $200 and where on Intels side they have an Intel Core i5-750 for $195. Why is AMD so cheap? Could someone explain please thanks. :D 

More about : amd intel

July 27, 2010 8:06:06 PM

most processors are priced correctly proportional to their performance, assuming you are *Correction*not*Correction* looking at sale prices, and Intel has the top of the line market cornered. AMD stay pretty strong though, because after $200-$300 or so, depending on who you want to ask (the monthly processor buying guide points this out a lot) the return you'll get for your extra money becomes smaller and smaller. An x61090T will not beat a to of the line i7, but it will run pretty close to it, considering the price difference.
m
l
July 27, 2010 8:06:08 PM

Please, just use search the next time. This has been an ongoing war between fans of Intel and AMD.

Basicly....

Intel is faster but AMD is cheaper. Intel has designed it`s chips better than AMD and they are on a smaller die.
AMD is slower than Intel, but they are cheaper and sometimes you won`t feel the difference between a AMD cpu and a Intel cpu.

AMD mostly has the best price/performance but if you have the money, Intel is the way to go.

But we should all just stfu till AMD releases Bulldozer and Intel releases Sandy Bridge. I think that the Sandy Bridge will collapse under the weight of the Bulldozer, but in that case, the Bulldozer will fall too. :( 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 123 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
July 27, 2010 8:20:23 PM

You may not have meant to do so, but you basically started a flamebait thread. There are a LOT of other threads in the forum describing the differences between AMD and Intel processors.
Basically, Intel holds the performance crown quite firmly, but AMD has many strong low-budget offerings that are "good enough" for many/most uses.
Take a high-end CPU from five-six years ago. Today's low to mid range chips (from either company) will outperform it.
Some people focus on chipset differences. At the low end, AMD chipsets tend to offer more features, but at the high end, Intel chipsets run with CPUs that AMD can't touch.
For gaming, however, where much of the performance burden falls to the GPU(s), quite competent systems can be built with CPUs from either vendor.
m
l
July 27, 2010 8:22:17 PM

Really, a moderator should close this thread for the sake of all of us.
m
l
July 27, 2010 8:32:15 PM

It is indeed a flamebait threat. I will agree with what has been said. My two cents is that AMD has been much friendlier to the OC community and more accessible on the whole than Intel traditionally... but Intel just released an unlocked multiplier series, so that is not true anymore. At this point the only argument is price/ need for speed. Architecture and power consumption is relevant to some, but for most people its about choosing a price point.

My first processor was an AMD Thunderbird, which I OC'ed... it was the best thing since sliced bread to me... since then I have owned two more AMD processors a) price vs performance worked for me and b) good experiences with AMD made me want to buy more. The AMD vs Intel war has a bit less meat to it than does say the PC vs Mac war (haha, that may be a bit inflammatory). The last thing I would say is that no company makes 100% gold, so research the specs and people's actual experience before you buy (newegg and toms are really good places to start).
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 8:33:49 PM

AMD has more price for performance, but can't match intel in speed when using the same amount of cores.

Intel has the best top of the line processor that are slightly faster than AMD's.

For the most part, AMD will be good enough for gaming/home use, but Intel is better if you need the most speed.

*grabs popcorn*
Now let the war begin!
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 8:34:17 PM

As long as this thread stays civil and the OP gets the answer he is looking for it will remain open. Otherwise I will be forced to close it.
m
l
July 27, 2010 8:38:40 PM

It should be noted that while AMD tends to be best for budget, similar performing intel chips can be had in the the mid range as well
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 8:41:16 PM

Desertfox1792 said:
Hi everyone, Ive recently been getting into computers and have noticed a lot of people seem to love Intels new i series processors. I guess what Im trying to ask is what sets Intel above AMD with performace? Also, Ive been browsing neweggs site on procesors and have noticed that an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T is priced for only $200 and where on Intels side they have an Intel Core i5-750 for $195. Why is AMD so cheap? Could someone explain please thanks. :D 

Use this page to compare both, this should give you a better idea on how they perform in several tasks :

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=109
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2010 8:53:09 PM

Yup, have eaten on both sides of the table for many years, but am loving my cruchy x6 1055t at the moment, Intel have been the faster chips in the generation recently but I am preferring the stability and value of AMD this round!
m
l
July 28, 2010 11:16:48 PM

Best answer selected by Desertfox1792.
m
l
July 28, 2010 11:18:11 PM

Thanks for everyones response.
@ OvrClkr thanks a lot for that website!
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2010 12:06:30 AM

yw =)
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2010 5:52:09 AM

AMD processors are good for gaming and for any graphical applications (3D&2D). The price for AMD processors are also very cheap because they don't invest their money on advertisements as Intel does. Intel claims the cost for the advertisements through their customers, so Intel is costlier than AMD
m
l
!