Trouble installing new processor

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
So I upgraded an old p4 for a celeron duo core [E3300] and I installed it. But when I start, nothing comes up on my monitor. It sounds like its running just fine, and I tried clearing cmos and that didn't help either.. Any ideas?

xaira

Distinguished
i sincerely doubt the board supports the new cpu, its not often an intel board will support cpus at both 90nm and 45nm, see if you can find out what chipset ur using, but ull probly have 2 downgrade to a 65nm core 2 celeron,

ps if a cpu is overheating, in most cases the pc will cut off, it wont just refuse to post because the system will still be supplying power to the cpu

You need to identify your motherboard.
Reinstall your old processor and run CPU-Z which will tell you what motherboard you have, it's revision level, and it's bios level.

then
1) verify that the E3300 is supported.
2) see if there is a bios update that is needed for the E3300. This is often the case.

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
So what PC is that board in? A Gateway or another branded PC?

If so I can guarantee the board does not support the E3300 due to chipset limitations.
If the board is as old as the P4, I'll take a guess that its either an 865/875 chipset or a 945. Neither of which support the 45nm E3300 nor any other dual core CPU for that matter. I doubt I'll will support anything over a Cedar Mill P4 depending on the chipset.