Your question
Solved

Replacing Defective Sandy Bridge Motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Sandy Bridge
Last response: in Motherboards
February 12, 2011 1:13:58 PM

Like many people, I will need to swap the defective motherboard with a replacement from the manufacture. In my case it is an Asus P8P67 Pro running windows 7 Home 64. Since the boards are identical, is it just a matter of removing the old board, moving the CPU to the new board and then installing the new motherboard? What steps need to be taken to do this correctly?

More about : replacing defective sandy bridge motherboard

a c 1517 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 2:08:57 PM

It is basically a simple swap out with identical part, then update drivers if available.
m
l

Best solution

a c 122 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 3:00:51 PM

Because I'm an obsessive mofo, I'll be doing a full drive reformat and reinstall.

Most people will do it the easy way though, and that should work fine.
Related resources
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 3:25:28 PM

^+1 Hate to admit it, but I would do to same. I build rigs and have Flash Drives with OS installers, and I don't screw around 'fixing.' I would also do a FULL FORMAT.

At the VERY least run System File Checker and Scan of Bad Sectors once transfered. I hope you moved everything off the Intel SATA2 ports.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 4:35:07 PM

all you would have to do is reactivate your win7 ,which can be done trough simple phone call
m
l
a c 1517 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 4:45:50 PM

Same hardware (chipset, MB manufacturer) no need to reactivate windows unless you do a reinstall!
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 4:57:43 PM

'Hopefully' Microsoft will have a list of MOBO types and 'see' the P67/H67 and not require the longer Online or Phone call PITA and simply allow the normal process to work. NO ONE will have a 'real' problem in RE-Activation.

My experience in replacing like-for-like MOBO is a reactivation 'is required' when moving to the SAME MOBO model. I build my rigs the same and sometimes relocate a HDD for one reason or another and the RE-Activation comes up.
m
l
February 12, 2011 7:50:08 PM

Best answer selected by hubbs49.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 7:52:04 PM

rolli59 said:
Same hardware (chipset, MB manufacturer) no need to reactivate windows unless you do a reinstall!

yes, you have to
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 7:54:31 PM

edit for home premium you do
m
l
February 12, 2011 8:17:41 PM

jaquith said:
^+1 Hate to admit it, but I would do to same. I build rigs and have Flash Drives with OS installers, and I don't screw around 'fixing.' I would also do a FULL FORMAT.

At the VERY least run System File Checker and Scan of Bad Sectors once transfered. I hope you moved everything off the Intel SATA2 ports.
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Scan-Drives-Windows-7.jpg

Thanks, good advice everyone. The only device still on a SATA2 port is the DVD drive. My plan would be to save an image of the system drive and a copy of the BIOS to an external USB drive immediately before replacing the motherboard. If I run into trouble with the simple swap then I would restore from the image. If that fails then I would format and reinstall.
m
l
March 20, 2011 7:38:59 PM

rolli59 said:
It is basically a simple swap out with identical part, then update drivers if available.

Just an update for anybody interested. I swapped the original ASUS P8P67 PRO for the B3 revision today. Indeed it was a simple swap. It booted into Windows without issues. Windows re-activation was not required.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 7:46:17 PM

hubbs49 said:
Just an update for anybody interested. I swapped the original ASUS P8P67 PRO for the B3 revision today. Indeed it was a simple swap. It booted into Windows without issues. Windows re-activation was not required.

my Windows 7 home premium did asked to "Activate my windows" again.
http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1592164
m
l
March 20, 2011 11:46:30 PM

When I rebooted after the install my network cable was unplugged (missed connecting it). I rebooted a number of times after that for driver install and an update to Windows service pack 1. Windows did not ask for reactivation but I just noticed that AUTO Activation was set for 3 days.
m
l