Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Replacing Defective Sandy Bridge Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 12, 2011 1:13:58 PM

Like many people, I will need to swap the defective motherboard with a replacement from the manufacture. In my case it is an Asus P8P67 Pro running windows 7 Home 64. Since the boards are identical, is it just a matter of removing the old board, moving the CPU to the new board and then installing the new motherboard? What steps need to be taken to do this correctly?
a c 1097 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 2:08:57 PM

It is basically a simple swap out with identical part, then update drivers if available.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 107 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 3:00:51 PM

Because I'm an obsessive mofo, I'll be doing a full drive reformat and reinstall.

Most people will do it the easy way though, and that should work fine.
Share
Related resources
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 3:25:28 PM

^+1 Hate to admit it, but I would do to same. I build rigs and have Flash Drives with OS installers, and I don't screw around 'fixing.' I would also do a FULL FORMAT.

At the VERY least run System File Checker and Scan of Bad Sectors once transfered. I hope you moved everything off the Intel SATA2 ports.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 4:35:07 PM

all you would have to do is reactivate your win7 ,which can be done trough simple phone call
m
0
l
a c 1097 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 4:45:50 PM

Same hardware (chipset, MB manufacturer) no need to reactivate windows unless you do a reinstall!
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 4:57:43 PM

'Hopefully' Microsoft will have a list of MOBO types and 'see' the P67/H67 and not require the longer Online or Phone call PITA and simply allow the normal process to work. NO ONE will have a 'real' problem in RE-Activation.

My experience in replacing like-for-like MOBO is a reactivation 'is required' when moving to the SAME MOBO model. I build my rigs the same and sometimes relocate a HDD for one reason or another and the RE-Activation comes up.
m
0
l
February 12, 2011 7:50:08 PM

Best answer selected by hubbs49.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 7:52:04 PM

rolli59 said:
Same hardware (chipset, MB manufacturer) no need to reactivate windows unless you do a reinstall!

yes, you have to
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2011 7:54:31 PM

edit for home premium you do
m
0
l
February 12, 2011 8:17:41 PM

jaquith said:
^+1 Hate to admit it, but I would do to same. I build rigs and have Flash Drives with OS installers, and I don't screw around 'fixing.' I would also do a FULL FORMAT.

At the VERY least run System File Checker and Scan of Bad Sectors once transfered. I hope you moved everything off the Intel SATA2 ports.
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Scan-Drives-Windows-7.jpg



Thanks, good advice everyone. The only device still on a SATA2 port is the DVD drive. My plan would be to save an image of the system drive and a copy of the BIOS to an external USB drive immediately before replacing the motherboard. If I run into trouble with the simple swap then I would restore from the image. If that fails then I would format and reinstall.
m
0
l
March 20, 2011 7:38:59 PM

rolli59 said:
It is basically a simple swap out with identical part, then update drivers if available.


Just an update for anybody interested. I swapped the original ASUS P8P67 PRO for the B3 revision today. Indeed it was a simple swap. It booted into Windows without issues. Windows re-activation was not required.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 7:46:17 PM

hubbs49 said:
Just an update for anybody interested. I swapped the original ASUS P8P67 PRO for the B3 revision today. Indeed it was a simple swap. It booted into Windows without issues. Windows re-activation was not required.

my Windows 7 home premium did asked to "Activate my windows" again.
http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1592164
m
0
l
March 20, 2011 11:46:30 PM

When I rebooted after the install my network cable was unplugged (missed connecting it). I rebooted a number of times after that for driver install and an update to Windows service pack 1. Windows did not ask for reactivation but I just noticed that AUTO Activation was set for 3 days.
m
0
l
!