Bios Setup Utility - USB Keyboard only will not function

Power95

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I am new to upgrading and rebuilding of computers. I have an old Gateway that I am trying update. however, the one thing holding me back is this USB keyboard will not function during reboot or in bios setup. There is no PS/2 port to use, so that is out of the question. Any suggestions on what I should do about this problem? I've tried everything I know.

Is it a gaming keyboard by chance? With a USB connection on the keyboard itself?

If so, you have to 1- unhook that keyboard2 - take a keyboard without the USB port on it and hook it up 3 - disable USB legacy keyboard support in your BIOS (usually under 'integrated peripherals') 4 - hook up the keyboard you had the problem with then it should work.

Power95

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
It does have a USB port on it, actually two. I already tried another USB keyboard without additional ports, which did not work either. I figured it had something to do with legacy support but I can't do anything with the keyboards I've used 'cause they are not functioning. I have dealt with this issue for weeks. Very frustrating. Thanks for the feedback.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hmmm,, if it only has a USB connection then it should work by default, that is with the bios set to basics or default, in any event turn on everything in your bios that deals with the USB, some mobo's see USB KBDS only as a legacy device..:)

Power95

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
How do I do that without a keyboard? The computer is initially loading to the bios setup utility, so I can't do anything unless the keyboard functions.

Not all motherboards see keyboards with USB port on them in this way. The way most of these keyboards work is the keyboard is actually hardwired to a usb hub inside the keyboard itself and the internal hub is actually what plugs into the motherboard. As a result, the motherboard sees a USB hub directly connected rather than a keyboard directly connected through the USB port. This information is available on most of the keyboard producers' support and forum pages.

I had this issue when I first installed my G110. I could use the keyboard once the OS started no problem, though when I tried to make an adjustment in the BIOS, realized the keyboard was non-responsive until the OS start. It's a motherboard-specific thing.

With mine, I had to hook up my $5 keyboard and disable legacy USB keyboard support in the BIOS then restart with the new keyboard connected. This setting change is what lets my motherboard look beyond the hub to detect the keyboard prior to the OS start.

Power95

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I see but how about a wireless keyboard? That is the other keyboard I tried and it doesn't work either. Do I need a $5 keyboard? And where might I find one?

How do you know if the USB ports are still functional? They might have been damaged.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

What is the Gateway model number of the system?

Power95

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Wireless mouse functions in both front USB ports without a problem. Now, in the back the USB ports, do not function at all, for anything. I got it from my parents who upgraded. I wanted this as a little extra fun but its turned out to be a headache. The model is this FLEXATXSC BRO Essential 933C. I think I cleared the CMOS because I can get to the bios utility setup.

Weren't the motherboards in those computers notorious for having bad capacitors? Check for any bulging or leaking electrolytic capacitors.