Sign in with
Your question

Is my Toshiba MK7575GSX a 4096/512e or not?

Last response: in Storage
July 10, 2012 1:42:37 PM

Long version:

I recently got a brand new Toshiba Satellite L775-S5170 for my work. On the second day, they gave me an OEM copy of Windows 7 Ultimate N 64-bit and told me to install it, which I did. During initial setup, as is my habit, I partitioned the 750GB drive three ways ~ the requisite 100MB system reserved partition, a 78GB partition for Windows, and a 620GB partition for data.

Certain operations seem very slow. Particularly installing and uninstalling things - the "preparing to install/uninstall" phase takes much longer than I am accustomed to on my home PC, which is much older than this laptop. Microsoft Updates take a pretty long time too. There is no particularly large CPU load, so I wondered if my hard drive was underperforming.

In looking into this, I found that my hard drive is a Toshiba MK7575GSX. According to this, it supports "advanced format," and that misalignment can cause performance issues. I tried downloading the Partition Alignment Tool on that page, but it said my hard drive does not support alignment. I also downloaded Intel's Rapid Storage Technology app, and it gave these details on my hard drive:
Port: 0
Port location: Internal
Type: Hard disk
Usage: Available
Size: 715,404 MB
Serial number: ###xx##xx
Model: TOSHIBA MK7575GSX
Firmware: GT001M
Advanced:
System Disk: Yes
Password protected: No
Disk data cache: Enabled
Native command queuing: Yes
SATA transfer rate: 3 Gb/s
Physical sector size: 512 Bytes
Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

So, what's going on? Is this not an advanced format drive, contrary to Toshiba's own page? Is it being detected wrong? Is something being configured wrong? How can I find out for sure, preferably without having to reformat (I'm ok with reformatting to *fix* it for sure)?
a c 288 G Storage
July 11, 2012 8:25:05 AM

Windows 7 creates aligned partitions by default. They are aligned to 1MB boundaries. You only need to be concerned with 4KB alignment of you are using a legacy OS such as Windows XP.
m
l
!