Sign in with
Your question

HDD Dying ?

Last response: in Storage
July 10, 2012 2:28:08 PM

Hi,

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB HDD and one week ago my PC started to freeze and get blue screens.
Sometimes I was unable to boot into windows and got the error : "Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key".

I thought it was windows fault so I reinstalled it.

Everything worked great until today when my PC froze again and after I restarted it I got : "A disk read error occurred , Please press Ctrl + Alt + Del". I disonected the HDD wires and connected them again and now my PC is working again.

I'm wondering what could be wrong, is my HDD dying, or maybe the PSU is the problem ?

More about : hdd dying

a b G Storage
July 10, 2012 3:18:09 PM

could very well be the HDD is dying. how old is it? how many running hours are on it? is it making a clicking sound?
July 10, 2012 3:20:29 PM

Branden said:
could very well be the HDD is dying. how old is it? how many running hours are on it? is it making a clicking sound?

I bought the HDD in 2007 , I used it every day since then. It does some kind of noise when I turn up the PC , but after that, no.
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 10, 2012 3:40:25 PM

the harddrive is dying/dead. do not use it! do not even power it.
buy a new drive, install windows, power and plug in your old one ONLY when you're ready to salvage your files off it. hopefully it doesn't completely die before then.

harddrives are one of the most failure prone parts of a computer, and the most damaging when they fail simply because they take their data to the grave with it.

in my experience harddrives fail most often either in the first couple weeks or after 3 years of use. 5 years of daily use is pushing your luck.

while you're at it, invest in an external backup.
July 10, 2012 3:45:41 PM

Branden said:
the harddrive is dying/dead. do not use it! do not even power it.
buy a new drive, install windows, power and plug in your old one ONLY when you're ready to salvage your files off it. hopefully it doesn't completely die before then.

harddrives are one of the most failure prone parts of a computer, and the most damaging when they fail simply because they take their data to the grave with it.

in my experience harddrives fail most often either in the first couple weeks or after 3 years of use. 5 years of daily use is pushing your luck.

while you're at it, invest in an external backup.

I've done a backup last week on an external HDD, no worry if the HDD dies, but my question is why I shouldn' t even power it ? Could it damage other components if the HDD dies ?
a b G Storage
July 10, 2012 4:00:22 PM

powering it will only hasten its death and reduce your chances of salvaging data off it. but if you've already got you data backed up then who cares, it's unlikely it'll damage anything other than itself.

now's the perfect time to upgrade to a SSD!
July 10, 2012 4:03:44 PM

Branden said:
powering it will only hasten its death and reduce your chances of salvaging data off it. but if you've already got you data backed up then who cares, it's unlikely it'll damage anything other than itself.

now's the perfect time to upgrade to a SSD!

Thank you for your reply, I'll use this HDD and see if I get any more freezes then I'll replace it with a new HDD. I find SSD's too expensive.
!