Insurance scam?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 28, 2005 11:24:38 PM

Greetings! I just switched to Cingular a month ago and got talked into
the phone insurance for all three on my family plan. What the kid at the
mall kiosk FAILED to mention is that there's a $50 deductible per
incident.

So essentially, I got a free phone (if they ever acknowledge and process
my rebates) but when the screen cracked, I've gotta pay $50 to get it
replaced. Sorry, not really looking for answers, just bitching out loud.
Think I'm gonna call and cancel the insurance tonight...

--

Chris
http://www.choxnpinz.com

More about : insurance scam

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:45:29 PM

"Chris" <c5flteng@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings! I just switched to Cingular a month ago and got talked into
> the phone insurance for all three on my family plan. What the kid at the
> mall kiosk FAILED to mention is that there's a $50 deductible per
> incident.
>
> So essentially, I got a free phone (if they ever acknowledge and process
> my rebates) but when the screen cracked, I've gotta pay $50 to get it
> replaced. Sorry, not really looking for answers, just bitching out loud.
> Think I'm gonna call and cancel the insurance tonight...

Exactly the reason I opt to not use that "insurance". Unless you get a very
high end phone, it is a waste. And, what makes it worse, sometimes more
expensive phones aren't even covered.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:28:54 AM

--
scott14661
March 29, 2005 2:37:26 AM

In article <scott14661.1mmys4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
scott14661.1mmys4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net says...

> > So, worst case senario is you pay for insurance for 20 months (79.80)
> > and then make an insurance claim ($50.00). That would be a GT of
> > $129.80. If you didn't have insurance you would pay at least $200,
> > which means your saving $71.20. I'm not mathmatician, but I would
> > rather save the $71.20.

You're assuming a new phone will run me $200.. The phones were $50 each
with a $50 rebate. Assuming I need to replace one, I'll just hit ebay
and get one.

--

Chris
http://www.choxnpinz.com

Chris Wrote:
> In article <scott14661.1mmys4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
> scott14661.1mmys4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net says...
>
> > > So, worst case senario is you pay for insurance for 20 months
> (79.80)
> > > and then make an insurance claim ($50.00). That would be a GT of
> > > $129.80. If you didn't have insurance you would pay at least
> $200,
> > > which means your saving $71.20. I'm not mathmatician, but I would
> > > rather save the $71.20.
>
> You're assuming a new phone will run me $200.. The phones were $50
> each
> with a $50 rebate. Assuming I need to replace one, I'll just hit ebay
> and get one.
>

> --
>
> Chris
> http://www.choxnpinz.com

If you purchase it through Cingular that's what it WILL cost you. You
got the phone cheap when you signed a contract with them, you won't get
that same deal until 3 months before your contract ends. You can
purhcase it through ebay cheaper, but you won't get any type of
guarantee with it. You will have no warranty with it, and should there
any problems with the phone, that will be between you and the party you
deal with.

I'm not trying to convince you not to buy it from e-bay, I just want
you to know the facts beforehand.

--
scott14661
March 29, 2005 5:27:21 AM

In article <MPG.1cb26a36fa062e5698968a@news.comcast.giganews.com>,
Chris <c5flteng@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings! I just switched to Cingular a month ago and got talked into
> the phone insurance for all three on my family plan. What the kid at the
> mall kiosk FAILED to mention is that there's a $50 deductible per
> incident.
>
> So essentially, I got a free phone (if they ever acknowledge and process
> my rebates) but when the screen cracked, I've gotta pay $50 to get it
> replaced. Sorry, not really looking for answers, just bitching out loud.
> Think I'm gonna call and cancel the insurance tonight...

The "insurance" is a ripoff on lower priced phones, as for the price of
the deductible one can get a replacement via ebay.

The "insurance" will usually be providing a used or refurbished
replacement anyway.

Maybe for the first year on a $600 phone it might be worthwhile.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:57:41 AM

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup alt.cellular.cingular
* Reply to: All; "Chris" <c5flteng@hotmail.com>
* Date:Tue, 29 Mar 2005 04:43:16 -0500
* Subj: Insurance scam?

C>Greetings! I just switched to Cingular a month ago and got
C>talked into the phone insurance for all three on my family plan.
C>What the kid at the mall kiosk FAILED to mention is that there's
C>a $50 deductible per incident.

C>So essentially, I got a free phone (if they ever acknowledge and
C>process my rebates) but when the screen cracked, I've gotta pay
C>$50 to get it replaced. Sorry, not really looking for answers,
C>just bitching out loud.
C>Think I'm gonna call and cancel the insurance tonight...

Your phones were free with subsidy and rebates at the time you signed
your contract. Should one be lost or stolen, it won't be replaced with
subsidy or rebates. In other words, you'll have to pay the full price
for a replacement phone. When/if that happens you'll be glad that you
have the phone insured with just a $50 deductible. My daughter's phone
was stolen just a month or two into a new contract. I went to the
local CW corporate store the next day and told them what happened. The
CS rep called the insurance Co., gave them the details and replaced
the phone and all accessories (Deluxe leather case, headset, etc.)
right there on the spot. No unusual questions asked and the
replacements were new, still in the boxes/packages. A bargain for 50
bucks when one stops to consider that the accessories alone would have
been over $50. The phone alone (unsubsidized) would have been a couple
of hundred dollars by itself. You may want to rethink your decision to
cancel your insurance. JMHO...YMMV.
--
Jack
Anonymous

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:24:38 -0500, Chris <c5flteng@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Greetings! I just switched to Cingular a month ago and got talked into
>the phone insurance for all three on my family plan. What the kid at the
>mall kiosk FAILED to mention is that there's a $50 deductible per
>incident.

And this is news to you? This is common with every cellular insurance.
Were you given paperwork on the insurance? This was mentioned in there
too.

>So essentially, I got a free phone (if they ever acknowledge and process
>my rebates) but when the screen cracked, I've gotta pay $50 to get it
>replaced.

That's correct.

>Sorry, not really looking for answers, just bitching out loud.
>Think I'm gonna call and cancel the insurance tonight...

Your free phone won't be free to replace when you crack the screen.
Before assuming the $50 is a ripoff, ask the 'kid at the mall kiosk'
how much that phone will cost to replace when you break the screen and
don't have insurance.
March 29, 2005 8:24:39 PM

"scott14661" <scott14661.1mn3my@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> Chris Wrote:
>> In article <scott14661.1mmys4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
>> scott14661.1mmys4@nospam.cellphoneforums.net says...

>> (79.80)
>> $200,
>>
>> You're assuming a new phone will run me $200.. The phones were $50
>> each
>> with a $50 rebate. Assuming I need to replace one, I'll just hit ebay
>> and get one.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Chris
>> http://www.choxnpinz.com
>
> If you purchase it through Cingular that's what it WILL cost you. You
> got the phone cheap when you signed a contract with them, you won't get
> that same deal until 3 months before your contract ends. You can
> purhcase it through ebay cheaper, but you won't get any type of
> guarantee with it. You will have no warranty with it, and should there
> any problems with the phone, that will be between you and the party you
> deal with.
>
> I'm not trying to convince you not to buy it from e-bay, I just want
> you to know the facts beforehand.

The phone would still have a manufacturer's warranty. Most are 1 year. Even
if it is used, it should still have the remaining manufacturer's warranty.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:49:29 PM

In article <nv2j4116lgp9t6u76olfpj5683sler4h8q@4ax.com>,
Evan Platt <evan@theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote:

> Your free phone won't be free to replace when you crack the screen.
> Before assuming the $50 is a ripoff, ask the 'kid at the mall kiosk'
> how much that phone will cost to replace when you break the screen and
> don't have insurance.
> --

Thats why flip phones are popular now. The screens are protected inside
the phone, as opposed to the always exposed screen of a "Candy Bar" form
factor phone.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:17:14 PM

Hi:

My sons screen showed signs of bleeding and was not covered by Motorola OR
insurance. Only 3 months old.

I am buying a replacement screen this weekend and a tech said he would
change it out for me for free. My wifes phone just started having
problems.
The screen slowly goes black. Power it off and then on and the screen is
good for a few minutes.

That should be covered. The phones are only 3 months old.

Bob

"Evan Platt" <evan@theobvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:24:38 -0500, Chris <c5flteng@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Greetings! I just switched to Cingular a month ago and got talked into
> >the phone insurance for all three on my family plan. What the kid at
the
> >mall kiosk FAILED to mention is that there's a $50 deductible per
> >incident.
>
> And this is news to you? This is common with every cellular insurance.
> Were you given paperwork on the insurance? This was mentioned in there
> too.
>
> >So essentially, I got a free phone (if they ever acknowledge and
process
> >my rebates) but when the screen cracked, I've gotta pay $50 to get it
> >replaced.
>
> That's correct.
>
> >Sorry, not really looking for answers, just bitching out loud.
> >Think I'm gonna call and cancel the insurance tonight...
>
> Your free phone won't be free to replace when you crack the screen.
> Before assuming the $50 is a ripoff, ask the 'kid at the mall kiosk'
> how much that phone will cost to replace when you break the screen and
> don't have insurance.
> --
> To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.

It has removed 1998 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:36:55 PM

"Chris" <c5flteng@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings! I just switched to Cingular a month ago and got talked into
> the phone insurance for all three on my family plan. What the kid at the
> mall kiosk FAILED to mention is that there's a $50 deductible per
> incident.
>
> So essentially, I got a free phone (if they ever acknowledge and process
> my rebates) but when the screen cracked, I've gotta pay $50 to get it
> replaced. Sorry, not really looking for answers, just bitching out loud.
> Think I'm gonna call and cancel the insurance tonight...
>

> --
>
> Chris
> http://www.choxnpinz.com

I bought a Cingular phone, May of 2004 and never received my $50.00 rebate.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:43:08 AM

Did you check here?
http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/contact_us
Left nav bar, check rebate status.

MG

"torresD" <torresd30@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Chris" <c5flteng@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings! I just switched to Cingular a month ago and got talked into
>> the phone insurance for all three on my family plan. What the kid at the
>> mall kiosk FAILED to mention is that there's a $50 deductible per
>> incident.
>>
>> So essentially, I got a free phone (if they ever acknowledge and process
>> my rebates) but when the screen cracked, I've gotta pay $50 to get it
>> replaced. Sorry, not really looking for answers, just bitching out loud.
>> Think I'm gonna call and cancel the insurance tonight...
>>

>> --
>>
>> Chris
>> http://www.choxnpinz.com
>
> I bought a Cingular phone, May of 2004 and never received my $50.00
> rebate.

April 2, 2005 9:06:47 PM

"torresD" <torresd30@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Chris" <c5flteng@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings! I just switched to Cingular a month ago and got talked into
> > the phone insurance for all three on my family plan. What the kid at the
> > mall kiosk FAILED to mention is that there's a $50 deductible per
> > incident.
> >
> > So essentially, I got a free phone (if they ever acknowledge and process
> > my rebates) but when the screen cracked, I've gotta pay $50 to get it
> > replaced. Sorry, not really looking for answers, just bitching out loud.
> > Think I'm gonna call and cancel the insurance tonight...
> >

> > --
> >
> > Chris
> > http://www.choxnpinz.com
>
> I bought a Cingular phone, May of 2004 and never received my $50.00
rebate.

What does you not receiving your rebate have to do with insurance?
!