Sign in with
Your question

Sharing internet connection between 2 pcs .

Last response: in Networking
September 13, 2004 10:16:19 AM

ok i have it up and running both on win xp pro and i want to allow the client pc to be able to access all the ports like the server pc , can anyone tell me how it is done?
September 13, 2004 11:14:56 AM

First get 2 nic cards ~$20x2=$40, ( optional but prefered a 4-port router~$40) and install hardware. Then connenct your cable/DSL line and two up to four computers from modem into router, then run internet connection sharing and follow steps.
Here is a link, its to early in the morn for me...:

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!
September 13, 2004 11:27:05 AM

thats not what i meant but thanks anyway. I have everything already installed both my pcs are sharing the connection but what i want is how can i allow the other pc access all the ports as the server pc!
Related resources
September 13, 2004 11:43:04 AM

Can you browse with Windows Explorer?
Then go to My Network Places, and see other computers online.
Then set up shares...
Is this what you are talking about?

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!
September 13, 2004 12:26:36 PM

what are you using to share the connection? ICS?

ICS doesn't allow DMZ's, for that matter it (I don't think) allows port forwarding either. I think the easiest thing would be to just buy a router for $40. There might be other "ICS-like" software out there that allows more flexibility

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
September 13, 2004 12:34:52 PM

YES i can browse and everything on both pcs but what i want is to be able to access all ports on the client pc like msn messenger , yahoo games ...etc
September 13, 2004 12:37:30 PM

and yes i am using ICS ! btw if u go to my network places then right clikc properties on the connection --> advanced -->settings ... u can see the list of ports that are open but the problem is that i want something more efficient and flexible.
September 13, 2004 1:25:54 PM

what do you mean more efficient and flexible? Can you give an example?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
September 13, 2004 11:18:28 PM

The windows ics sucks for port forwarding but it works. You can't forward all ports to another computer in your network unless you don't want the computer w/ the internet connection to get hosed :) 
Just forward ports for the services that you need.
Such as:
Webserver: forward port 80
FTP server: forward port 21
etc.

If you want a better way of doing this and you have a broadband connection just get a router, it saves a lot of hassle and is very reliable. Get a Netgear or Linksys.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
!