Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Does the Windows 8 upgrade make sense?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
January 3, 2013 6:42:40 PM

Hi, I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 laptop(base model)

i5-3210M@2.5Ghz
6gb RAM
1024Mb Nvidia GT 630m

and it came with Windows 7 H.P. It's a rather new computer but I wanted to know if the Windows 8 upgrade would make sense. I'm kinda a techy myself and upgraded my other 5 year old HP 550 and I love Win8 AND Win7 EQUALLY. Can I get some PROFESSIONAL advice on the technical details of this?
January 3, 2013 6:49:25 PM

there is really no difference unless you have a touchscreen
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 6:54:39 PM

If it already came with windows 7, I'd say stick with it; there's not a huge difference besides boot times (since windows 8 hibernates, rather than turning itself off) and battery life (which will drain a fair bit quicker with windows 8 than with windows 7.)
m
0
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 8:17:46 PM

Hi :) 

Personally for me the answer would be NO...and I sell both in my shops in the UK...

If you do make damn sure you can get 8 drivers for it BEFORE you upgrade...., particularly the wireless drivers (8 has problems with a lot of those)

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
January 3, 2013 8:39:48 PM

My answer would be no! It has a completely different feel than previous versions. And for an appearance standpoint, it looks too childish to me. If you say you are kinda tecky then why would you want to use this OS. I would stick to Windows 7 until they come back to their senses with Window 9.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 9:05:02 PM

bmanv13 said:
My answer would be no! It has a completely different feel than previous versions. And for an appearance standpoint, it
Quote:
looks too childish
to me. If you say you are kinda tecky then why would you want to use this OS. I would stick to Windows 7 until they come back to their senses with Window 9.

Where is the childish part, win 8 is superior over 7 in every way, more so now. I see some of the game sites are now working with it and they too are starting to agree 8 is working better, programmers have customizing. The only childish part is your post. :hello: 





Share
January 3, 2013 9:05:29 PM

Really depends on what you want to do.

If you're using IE then upgrading would be a good idea. IE has increased almost 2x in performance in terms of browser speed.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/internet-explorer-10-chro... Here you can see the browser speeds.

It's not true that Windows 8 hibernates. Windows 8 should theoretically use less power due to lower system requirements which Means lower performance Draw.

The boot times of Windows 8 has been halfed if not more from Windows 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc1DFvNjs0k Boot time comparison.

15$ doesn't seem much for me if you can get Windows 8.

And you already love it and know how to use it? I can only say go ahead.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 9:25:52 PM

gomerpile said:
Where is the childish part, win 8 is superior over 7 in every way, more so now. I see some of the game sites are now working with it and they too are starting to agree 8 is working better, programmers have customizing. The only childish part is your post. :hello: 

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/Th/flip.png

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/xcpus/memy.png

http://bfvets.dyndns.org/Th/bf42.png



Hi :) 

Better in every way ???

I think NOT, as its NOT selling, Even VISTA sales exceeded it lol...and that's saying something....

My personal opinion is 8 is going to go into history as WORSE than Vista....

I sell all Operating systems in my shops....from XP upwards....

You REALLY don't want to know how many 8`s we have sold... luckily we didn't buy many for stock :( 

All the best Brett :) 

m
0
l
January 3, 2013 9:29:47 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Better in every way ???

I think NOT, as its NOT selling, Even VISTA sales exceeded it lol...and that's saying something....

My personal opinion is 8 is going to go into history as WORSE than Vista....

I sell all Operating systems in my shops....from XP upwards....

You REALLY don't want to know how many 8`s we have sold... luckily we didn't buy many for stock :( 

All the best Brett :) 


Just because Windows 8 doesn't sell well doesn't mean it's bad. People are just not brave enough to move to something new that they're not common with.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 9:32:08 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Just because Windows 8 doesn't sell well doesn't mean it's bad. People are just not brave enough to move to something new that they're not common with.



Hi :) 

OR ..it could just be because its crap...imho...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
January 3, 2013 9:36:27 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

OR ..it could just be because its crap...imho...

All the best Brett :) 


You're not doing any argumentation?

If I say cake is awesome, then it doesn't justifies that cake is awesome, it just justifies that I have an opinion about cake. If I'd say that cake is filled with sugar and ingriedents that makes your taste buds fly, then I made an argument why it's awesome.

You're just like everybody else that doesn't want to move on from Windows 7, scared of evolution and ending up like the uprade from XP to Vista, which isn't the case.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 9:42:13 PM

Do I need to say more. Most reviews and updated are making 8 in the winner circle. People don't have the money at the moment, bread and butter is nice to have. How many billions of jobs have been lost since the launch of 7. Ya baby WIN 8 RULEssssss 7.

m
0
l
January 3, 2013 10:05:08 PM

I had read that Windows 8 doesn't handle multiple monitors as well as Windows 7. Any validity to this?
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 10:05:28 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
You're not doing any argumentation?

If I say cake is awesome, then it doesn't justifies that cake is awesome, it just justifies that I have an opinion about cake. If I'd say that cake is filled with sugar and ingriedents that makes your taste buds fly, then I made an argument why it's awesome.

You're just like everybody else that doesn't want to move on from Windows 7, scared of evolution and ending up like the uprade from XP to Vista, which isn't the case.



Hi :) 

I own computer shops, so I HAVE to know what 8 is like (to fix it), we have it on several machines.... and its still crap...lol...imho

To give just ONE example of whats wrong with 8....damn wireless drivers... customers keep coming in saying "upgraded to 8 and now my wireless doesn't work"

In some cases the ONLY thing we can do is sell them a CABLE ... :( 


All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
January 3, 2013 10:16:48 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I own computer shops, so I HAVE to know what 8 is like (to fix it), we have it on several machines.... and its still crap...lol...imho

To give just ONE example of whats wrong with 8....damn wireless drivers... customers keep coming in saying "upgraded to 8 and now my wireless doesn't work"

In some cases the ONLY thing we can do is sell them a CABLE ... :( 


All the best Brett :) 


I'm not here to insult you, but if you can't fix a driver update, then you might think of doing something else to do for a living. We could also just pretend if it was impossible to get the Wireless working, then I'm pretty confident that a fresh reinstall of the OS would do the trick.

I updated to Windows 8 with no problems. My girlfriend also did and she has no clues about computers, she still managed with no problems.

m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 10:18:49 PM

robdam1001 said:
I had read that Windows 8 doesn't handle multiple monitors as well as Windows 7. Any validity to this?



Hi :) 

I game on 3 monitors and have never risked trying it on 8.....

A couple of threads here have been about problems with it...try a search... in the 8 section...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 10:21:00 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
I'm not here to insult you, but if you can't fix a driver update, then you might think of doing something else to do for a living. We could also just pretend if it was impossible to get the Wireless working, then I'm pretty confident that a fresh reinstall of the OS would do the trick.

I updated to Windows 8 with no problems. My girlfriend also did and she has no clues about computers, she still managed with no problems.



Hi :) 

You obviously know nothing about 8 and wireless problems....

Try a search here, lol...

There are LOTS of wireless card manufacturers that HAVE NOT WRITTEN 8 DRIVERS...

Hence the problems...

Hence the cable...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
January 3, 2013 10:29:34 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You obviously know nothing about 8 and wireless problems....

Try a search here, lol...

There are LOTS of wireless card manufacturers that HAVE NOT WRITTEN 8 DRIVERS...

Hence the problems...

Hence the cable...

All the best Brett :) 


Again that isn't a problem with Windows 8, but the manufactors.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 10:32:46 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Again that isn't a problem with Windows 8, but the manufactors.


Hi :) 

Thats NOT the way the customers in my shops look at it....

You have to see it from THEIR point of view.... their machines (laptops usually) wireless were working fine with 7, then they upgraded to 8 , and now the wireless does NOT work...

They don't blame the wireless manufacturers , they blame Microsoft...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 10:39:48 PM

My customers love 8.
m
0
l
January 3, 2013 10:41:42 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Thats NOT the way the customers in my shops look at it....

You have to see it from THEIR point of view.... their machines (laptops usually) wireless were working fine with 7, then they upgraded to 8 , and now the wireless does NOT work...

They don't blame the wireless manufacturers , they blame Microsoft...

All the best Brett :) 


Why blame Microsoft when they aren't the bad Guys?

I can't really see the point of all this, it's still not Windows 8's fault that their Wireless manufacturers doesn't have optimized the drivers for Windows 8.
m
0
l
January 3, 2013 10:54:31 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Better in every way ???

I think NOT, as its NOT selling, Even VISTA sales exceeded it lol...and that's saying something....

My personal opinion is 8 is going to go into history as WORSE than Vista....

I sell all Operating systems in my shops....from XP upwards....

You REALLY don't want to know how many 8`s we have sold... luckily we didn't buy many for stock :( 

All the best Brett :) 



Maybe you should look outside of your tiny shop for stats on Win 8 sales?

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+8+Beats+Windows+7+Sets...


So are you going to tell me that the only reason it's outselling Win 7 is because it comes preloaded on desktop/laptops?

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+8+Fails+to+Drive+Signi...
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 3, 2013 10:54:51 PM

Ok so I took out my linky wireless g wireless adapter out of an old dell system, amd 64 and put in in my p55 80, had to take out one graphic card to do this. Windows 8 installed the drivers and it worked perfectly.

So I setup an network for file sharing, changed the network to public access. I had no issues downloading from shared files, able to map network drives. I think any having issues do not know how to setup a system. PICS ARE ON ITS WAY. This dell is old. It is what I use to run the server
m
0
l
January 3, 2013 11:25:48 PM

Quote:
Thats NOT the way the customers in my shops look at it....

You have to see it from THEIR point of view.... their machines (laptops usually) wireless were working fine with 7, then they upgraded to 8 , and now the wireless does NOT work...

They don't blame the wireless manufacturers , they blame Microsoft...


Yes I have experienced the problem that you have described many times with both the wireless drivers and the network drivers, often upgrading the drivers will fix this problem, but on others no update is available, one would hope that the situation will improve with time. Another problem is with older graphics cards either a driver is not available or is buggy or simply does not work. Hopefully this will also improve with time.

If no software update is available for the wireless driver then it is profitable to me :-) to simply replace the wireless card in the laptop.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 4, 2013 12:40:10 AM

universal remonster said:
Maybe you should look outside of your tiny shop for stats on Win 8 sales?

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+8+Beats+Windows+7+Sets...


So are you going to tell me that the only reason it's outselling Win 7 is because it comes preloaded on desktop/laptops?

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+8+Fails+to+Drive+Signi...



Hi :) 

Lol...that's really funny...you are quoting OTHER sites....

Try reading this...from THIS SITE...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Windows-8-Windows-Vista-U...

8 is selling LESS than 7 and LESS than even Vista did.... (even thought its half their price as well..lol)

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
!