Sign in with
Your question

Is my "wireless"router slowing down my wired connection?

Last response: in Networking
March 1, 2010 3:03:57 PM

Hey there everyone,

I have a NETGEAR WGR614v6 (54Mbps) wireless G router and Comcast high speed (6/1 I guess) internet.

I have a wired connection going from the cable modem to the router to the computer and use the wifi functionality for my laptop.

I have noticed lately that it's kind of slow so I ran the Comcast speed test and and lo and behold, when I run the connection through my router to my desktop via cables it's 3Mbps download and <1Mbps upload. If I unplug the router and run the cable modem directly into the computer it hovers around 4Mbps download and 1Mbps upload.

What gives? I updated the router to all the latest drivers and firmware, yet it appears it's bottlenecking my bandwidth.

Does the router suck? Does my internet connection suck? Do I suck for not knowing this?

I am going to Comcast today to swap out my 4 year old cable modem for a newer DOCSIS 3.0 modem that they say will be "better and faster", whatever that means. But it seems that the router saying 54mbps with a wired connection should not cramp my speed by 25%.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys and ladies.

Mike
March 1, 2010 7:10:18 PM

Well there is some overhead associated w/ the router, including NAT, packet inspection, switching, etc., and any other internal operations it’s managing (a router may be small and unassuming, but it is still a Linux computer). While a 25% difference does seem high, I've never actually measured the difference to determine what is and isn't reasonable. But it's certainly not going to be identical.
March 2, 2010 4:04:59 AM

Eh... I'd test it again. If you get those same results invest in a newer / higher end router. You will always see some latency whenever you add an additional hop, however what you're seeing is extreme and IMHO unacceptable.
!