What choice new HDD

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
My current PC has 2 x 500GB Caviar Blue HDD, and over it's 6 yr life time has had 4 HDD fail.

I am building a new PC .. and looking at what HDD to use ... the primary drive will be an SSD for the OS .... so the HDD will be for apps & data.

Is the Caviar Blue 1TB still an obvious choice ... and my failures have just been bad luck ?

I don't want to use Caviar Green due to spin up & down times (do use them for off-line storage)

Caviar Black was the mainstream HDD to buy for applications and boot drive before SSDs appeared. It produces more noise and consumes more power than Blue or Green for this performance though.

If you're using it primarily as a storage drive, then a Blue or Green will suffice.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
I'm using an SSD as a boot drive ... HDD is for apps & data.

My current PC uses a pair of Caviar Blue ... as mentioned in OP ..but had a number of these fail.

popatim

Titan
The newer greens make good data drives imo. They are quiet and almost as fast as the 7200rpm drives. I have four 2tb drives in my server and no issues.

Other than that I have two samsung F3's (raid0) and two F4's (raid0) in my workstation, two more F4's in my server and one in my livingroom htpc. All are doing well even after a year of use.

edit - actually the f3's are over 2 yrs old now. Wow time flies. :))

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
If I understand it correctly .. the Greens spin down and park the heads, so is this an issue when used on PC ...
The SSD would be doing teh main active work, so I'm guessing the HDD would have periods of no activity, does that mean heads 'spin down' and then there is a delay in restart ?
It may not be a problem ... just checking.

Yes the Greens do that. The behavior can be changed if you have 15minutes of your spare time and you're comfortable modifying the drive's firmware though. There are a lot of prior examples and documentation that people have posted online - simply do a search for "WDIDLE3 caviar green".