$200-300 Budget, looking for new card solution

KyleGP

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hi guys,
I've had a pretty crap week.

I came home to find a drink had been spilt on my desk by one of my dogs which leaked through the desk into the computer case sitting on the floor.

Yes, I've moved the case now onto my desk, but that's besides the point.

It wouldn't turn on. It would do a short *buzz* then nothing. Just a few lights on the motherboard which is a Gigabyte EP45-DQ6.

Anyway, I had a look at it. Eventually, after just taking everything out and putting it back together, I had success. The liquid only really got a bit to the power supply but...nothing majorly wrong.

I don't really get it.

Moving on....

I then put everything back together, did one more power test. My 8800GTS buzzed at me because I forgot it's power lead that goes into the back of the card. So I powered down.

This is where the problem started. The modular cable had 2 PCI-e power connections that branches off one modular connection which goes to the power supply. But I screwed up.

I accidentally connected the other end of the modular cable to the output of the power supply. Now, I don't see how this would have fried my card, maybe it was just coincidence, but either way some smoke rose from the card and my gut sank.

It was screwed. I had a look around, realized my fault, and tried again. In the past, hardware has still smoked but not completely burned out. I figured it was worth a shot. So I fixed the power, went to try again. More smoke, from 2 different areas. Okay, well, no loss, something already fried which probably protected other circuits.

So the cards done. It had a good 5 or so year run. I've had that thing for ages.

Plus, I have been in the market for a new card, so despite the bad luck, something good shall come out of it.

A new card/set of cards!

I've been an Nvidia guy just out of choice, but my motherboard is crossfire compatible and this time I'd like to venture into getting 2 cards as appose to 1 card.

So, between $200-300 (possible a LITTLE bit more), what 2 ATI cards would you recommend?

OR! What single ATI or Nvidia card?

I've checked out Tom's hardware for April and all that jazz, but I'd like input from more people, you guys.

Let me know, because I stole the graphics card out of my mothers computer and her computer...kind of needs it.

So the sooner I purchase some new cards the better!

As easy as hitting the AutoTune button
5770_idle.jpg

HardOCP 5770 overclock

KyleGP

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I'm leaning towards the 5770 (Dual, crossfired).
Any suggestions also for single nvidia cards?

and whats the best manufacturer to go with in terms of quality and also warranty?

Thanks for all the help guys, tops!

XFX has the 'Double Lifetime Warranty' (for you and the person you re-sell it to). XFX Radeon HD 5770 HD-577A-ZNFC
I also like Sapphire and Powercolor brands. They have the usual 2 yr warranty.
You have a choice between stock and factory overclock models. But most here would suggest a stock clocked unit, save the money and OC' the card yourself.
You also have the option to select video cards that are 'Eyefinity' ready, like the XFX model I liked above.

THG: AMD's Eyefinity Technology Explained
THG Part 2: AMD's Eyefinity Technology Explained

KyleGP

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Sorry, I'm confused about your post shadow.
If a lone 5770 wont handle it, wouldn't that mean I have to crossfire at least 5770's?

I still have no idea what to do but I need my pc back to health =/ ahhh, choices!

I think you're going in a good, safe direction.
A 5770 now to get you up and running, with the possibility of a 2nd 5770 in CF, and keeping the possibility of a future dual or triple monitor setup.
Don't think you should be concerned about all the future possibilities, especially as you're going down a path where you still have those options.

A single 5770 will handle a 3 monitor Eyefinity setup. At least one of the 3 monitors will require a Display port connection.
You can get a DisplayPort to DVI Video Adapter Converter for about $25.
If you have a Crossfire 5770 setup all 3 monitor cables will still need to come out of a single 5770 card.
I think a single 5770 will handle a 3 monitor Eyefinity setup fine - in 2D mode. In 3D (gaming) a single 5770 will probably struggle. CF 5770s should do OK.

This THG explanation might help you understand Eyefinity: A Tangible Benefit, Today. The latest Catalyst drivers have bezel compensation so no part of the display output is hidden by the monitor bezel.

KyleGP

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah.

The real issue for me is I've always used nVidia and my 8800GTS 640mb lasted 5+ years.

Can you suggest a single card nVidia that I can compare with?

and if I went ATI, would you recommend 2x 5770's CF or a single 5850?

HD5770 = GTX260
HD5850 ~= GTX285 (it's the closest to it, the 5850 beats the 285).

2x HD5770 would be a little better than an HD5870, and would last quite some time.

Kyle, you asked if you can connect 3 monitors, and if you needed Crossfire. An HD5770 won't play well at 5K resolutions, and no, you don't need crossfire.

KyleGP

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

According to this, it's only 2 year warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-XFX-Radeon-HD-5770-XXX-Video-Card-650W-PSU-5870_W0QQitemZ380210459057QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item58864f31b1#ht_8514wt_1165

KyleGP

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Damnit!
Well I'm still not sure weather to Get 5770 CF or a single nVidia card. My friend tells me for graphics acceleration in Photoshop, 3D aps, design all that jazz that nvidia is a better way to go. I don't know.

I've had issues with ATI drivers in the past and even recently with Ubuntu and my laptops ATI inbuilt card.

What would be the single card nVidia equivalent to 2x 5770 CF?

And even if I do go ATI, there's so many manufacturers I can't really decide who to go with.

Then there's the power supply issue (in a separate post).

=/

Price wise a GTX 470 would be the nearest equivalent. US$350 vs US$300 for 2x 5770.

In gaming performance a GTX 470 generally falls between the 5850 and 5870 and so does its price. 5850=$320 470=$350 5870=$400
So at 2x 5770 and US$300 with gaming performance near (or exceeding in some cases) a 5870 you can see why the CF 5770 comes recommended.

Just keep in mind while there are gaming performance differences anything mentioned here will do a very good job gaming at 16x10 resolution. There won't be any 'significant' difference in play-ability. By that I mean that one card would give enjoyable game performance while another card won't. In other words, don't sweat the small differences.

TRENDING THREADS