USB suddenly stopped working.

babalol

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Okay i was playing Starcraft 2 and all the sudden they stopped so i restarted my computer and they still don't. I don't know what happened, the usb gives off power and reads the device in it it just wont work. For instance it can read it when i plug more than 1 mouse in my computer but it wont work. I have tried just about everything, except reinstalling my OS, updating my bios ( I don't see why though cuz it has worked for me for over 2 years). I have uninstalled the drivers from the device manager, disabled and enabled them, and i checked to see if the setting in my bios are enabled and yes they are any more suggestions. O and a old p2 keyboard i have works just my usbs dont.

Solution
Then there's a very good chance that something overloaded {fried} the MOBO USB controller chip. Power and Signal are two different things; powering but just not processing.

My first (2) posts correct just about every 'corruption' / BIOS issue that affects the USB problems. Running too many devices and/or a 'bad' one can easily burn-out the controller.

Apparently, the PCI Card clearly indicates that: 1. BIOS is okay, and 2. Windows is okay. Pretty much leaving the MOBO and what's been said as a viable solution.
Are you having the same problems with the USB ports directly connected to the MOBO {I/O Shield} and USB Header(s) USB ports?

Is this a Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse? ; moving USB locations is almost guaranteed to corrupt the registry, and duh bad batteries.

Are you using a USB Hub {if so remove it} or are all these a direct connection?

Also, a faulty USB device Keyboard, Mouse, Headsets can 'short' the USB causing this behavior. {Household animals often bite the cables causing shorts}

Q - What MOBO? In the BIOS I assume that USB is fully enabled:
USB Functions [Enabled]
NEC USB 3.0 Controller [Enabled] ; if applicable.
USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled]
USB 2.0 Controller Mode [HiSpeed]
BIOS EHCI Hand-Off [Enabled]
Legacy USB Support [Auto]

Trouble shooting -> http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm

babalol

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Nvidia 650i Ultra and i got the Phenoix bios and its up to date and every thing and all of that is enabled and yes with all my ports i bought a pci card just so i can use my mouse but i would really like to find out whats wrong and fix it and i went to usbman and thier forum is down and am stilling looking through thier troubleshooter

babalol

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I mean i bought a 4 port usb pci card, i ran system restore like 3 times and yes it does have 8 total and all 8 dont work, if i plug my ipod in it charges, i can see the my mouse light up but it wont work.

Then there's a very good chance that something overloaded {fried} the MOBO USB controller chip. Power and Signal are two different things; powering but just not processing.

My first (2) posts correct just about every 'corruption' / BIOS issue that affects the USB problems. Running too many devices and/or a 'bad' one can easily burn-out the controller.

Apparently, the PCI Card clearly indicates that: 1. BIOS is okay, and 2. Windows is okay. Pretty much leaving the MOBO and what's been said as a viable solution.

Solution

babalol

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
ok thanks so much i guess for now ill just use the pci usb card and save up until i can just upgrade my computer again, at least i wont waste my time trying different fixes. Thank You