480 GTX Cores ("cuda cores") Locked through Bios or Laser cut?

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I was wondering if re-enabling the Cores is a future possibility. If they were laser cut I know they aren't but if they were bios locked it might be a possibility.

AnyOne have a clue?

Thanks

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

Only post if you have an intellectual response.

L1qu1d I don't think they are laser cut, but most likely just disabled cores that don't work. Cutting cores will waste money and time and Nvidia was already behind. It's possible some card will have working cores. Even if you were able to enable the extra cores I don't think the card would be stable. =/

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007

So I've heard, learning from the 6600s. But what is interesting is that only 480 SPs are actually visible:S.

I want too see if its the least bit possible. Or, if they do release a 512 version if it's bios could enable the rest. The card already consumes enough power to run a city butt wats 32 more cores going to hurt? LOL:p

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
"Now we can only tell you what we were told by Nvidia on this next little tidbit, but Nvidia has never hesitated to tell us the truth and we respect them greatly for that. Rumors abound about the number of CUDA cores (Shader Units) on Fermi. The GTX-480 has 512 CUDA Cores but only 480 of those are exposed. Meaning that 32 cores are laser cut or disabled in the cards BIOS. We would suspect that they are Laser Cut but were not specifically told that."

-http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1831&pageID=8790

Interesting

@ invisik

I'm sure your right, but I think it will also have to do with lack of optimization from drivers. Unless we start seeing Some Omega drivers for this blasted card.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
lol Well I'm either going 3D or multi screen.

So when going 3D I heard the performance is cut in half, which means if a game gets 60 it gets 30..if it gets 30 it gets 15 etc.

So having the 2nd card to boost it should be good.

But damn are they ever exp...I think a 20" is like 400$ :S

lol, oh and doing 3x's 1920 x 1080 should need alot of power haha:p

UPDATE:

I did manage to do some OCing and got an extra 10%-15% out of it on stock voltage and 70% fan speed @ 85 Degrees C. So I'll have some benchies up hopefully before I lv:p

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
THe problem is I dont game as it is. I think I might game more on Consoles and mostly bench and program on desktop...but it feels nice to know I have the power when I want to screw around with a game for a 15 min break.

I mean the graphics are beautiful. I might just grab 2 180$ 23" monitors or 3 and see where that takes me. :S

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
The locked cores would definitely not run at stock voltage and at a slower speed. Nvidia chose to run the card faster and fuse off the more leaky cores for a reason.

Unless you have liquid cooling to keep those cores, reactivating them won't do any good even if you can.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
yes. The fan gets near 100% speed when running max Tess. Crysis its fine and stalker clear sky. Idle hovers around 55-60.

I just did a test, so sandwiched together, they seem to stop at 90 Degrees Running Uningine Engine with 8X AA maxed everything. THe fan does go up to 80% to achieve this. It is def noisy but its not unbearable. It sounds exactly like a cd spinning.

I will be either going water cooling or grabbing the new Asus Rampage 3. I haven't decided yet...seeing as water block costs around 100$ atleast for a good one, thats 200$ plus a good pump system + good radiator which should be 100$ (I'm also going to add another 50$ because of heavy loss of space and cramming in so much is bound to reduce my overall airflow)...ssoooo 350$ give or take with out taxes. The asus being 399.99...plus have new features and quad sli support (if I'm not mistaken)

We'll see...putting some distance between cards is my main goal...the mATX is def making this cards a challenge.

Edit

I forgot that water cooled also means silent...which with that I'm going to cancel the 50$ plus for room loss. Its a tough decision. :S

Yeah, that is difficult. That is just a lot of power/heat to dissipate. I prefer air cooling for its simplicity and low cost, and while it is near silent for my rig, it would be difficult to pull off with yours (even with more space). I guess you could go with the opinion of some other members: wear headphones :lol:

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Getting a bigger board might not help that much. Might as well go the extra mile and get water.

Though I have to say $350 is a bit optimistic. You need to add the res, the tubing, the barbs, and perhaps a fan controller. It can become pretty expensive but probably worth it.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007

Its Charlie Demerjian, i'm going to take his stuff with a grain of salt. I mean thats something we'll see around Xmas. Nvidia was late in the game this time and its doing just fine for sales. Hopefully we'll see Nv tape out some decent products by then. Frankly Charlie is all too happy to see Nv fail which may blind him....he is already blinded by the fact that we would all suffer an ATI monopolized GPU market.

@ Rofl

well the water block is around 130* + tax each. If I manage to grab 2 of those its 260$ comes to around 300$. A water pump with tubes if I look hard enough will set me back about 90$, and a Rad should set me back anywhere from 25-100$ depending how "interesting" it is

notty22

Distinguished
Coolit is working on some really cool , self contained water gpu loop systems.
You buy it , its comes with a universal cooper block that the water loops through. You purchased individual custom 'interposer' plates for 'popular' video card models. You bolt on the interposer plate to your GPU, chips+mem and mount the sealed copper water (piggyback)block and your done. Thats how I believe it works. You never have to open the system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQZ7SLnHoo

edit: If they ever brought this to market at a price , similar to what the cpu closed loops cost, it would be awesome. More copper and a extra plate, so I figure 150.00 VS 80 for their cpu 120mm loops.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007

Hmm I'll wait for that, I wonder when it comes out:S Seems similar to the Corsair H50 I have...I'm guessing both with near 0 evaporation?

notty22

Distinguished
It hasn't come to market. They showed their ideas off at CES. In this economy they were probably trying to drum up interest. Have some backing, like Corsair did with their H50 idea. Looking deeper at their web site, nothing streamlined has come like the cpu coolers yet.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
well we'll have to see, I'm going to put in my AC when I get back, and move my furniture around, hopefully it makes a difference. I'm sick of watching the TV screen to type and surf lol Its amazing for games @ 40" but honestly it ruins the eyes for typing + browsing lol (its 720p so the pixels get big up close lol)