Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multi rail psu PLEASE HELP URGENT

Last response: in Components
July 28, 2010 12:50:50 AM

hello,
I am new to TH. i have a local made psu in my rig.i want to change to a iball 450 watt psu. but it contains 2 rail compared to single rail in my older psu. i am in dillema that it may not provide enough power to my MB+gra.card(ati 5670) because i donot need the extra rail.the one rail supplying power may not be enough.please advice...

More about : multi rail psu urgent

Best solution

a c 92 ) Power supply
July 28, 2010 1:17:32 AM

There is no real difference between multi rail and single rail PSUs. They are basically the same. The multi rail PSUs have something called Over Current Protection (OCP) that will prevent all the power from going down one rail. Its usually set slightly higher then what the rail is rated at. For example, if you have two individual rails rated at 18A then the OCP might be set at 25A. Other then that there is no real difference between the two types of PSUs.

What does matter is who made the PSU and whats inside of it. Judging from your name and the fact you want an iball I'm guessing your from India? (or nearby country.) While not bad, there is better out there then iball. Whats available to you in your budget?
July 28, 2010 1:41:50 AM

LOL yah ur right regarding my ethnicity... regarding ur second question my budget is rs 2500 or ~$50 ..there is no good psu available in that budget.. corsair and others are very costly nearly $100.. my other question if my graphics card +other parts draw more than say 25amp will the wire fry up.... sorry regarding my lack of knowledge.. also should i buy unirail compared to dual rail :ange:  please advice
m
l
Related resources
a c 92 ) Power supply
July 28, 2010 3:38:37 AM

Corsair and the others might be out, but sometimes you can get a thermaltake or Tagen. These are more well known and you can research them online to know if they are good or not. I've NEVER seen an iball review.

Whether you should buy a single or multi rail PSU doesn't make a difference. As I've tried to point out there is no internal difference between them so it shouldn't factor into your decision at all. Find one that has the power you need, the connectors you need, at a price you can afford. Those are the big three. If you have a choice among those consider warranty, color, modular, etc. Single or multi rail really doesn't matter.
m
l
July 7, 2012 9:53:49 AM

Best answer selected by abhisek_241288.
m
l
!