Trying to make this work.

JonBeam

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Alright. I am trying to throw together a second desktop fast and cheap. Will upgrade parts bit by bit later, but at this point I'm really just trying to have a starting point. I may or may not buy newer parts for my current desktop and throw older parts in the frankenstein.

Currently I have in my primary desktop:

Asus P5QL-Pro
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
4 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 Mhz

(Edit: If it matters, the two video cards that are already bought and paid for are EVGA GTX 460 and EVGA 9400 GT)

I recently upgraded my power supply and video card, so those are taken care of for both machines. I will worry about upgrading the video card in the secondary machine later and run it off my old one for now.

I am aiming for another quad core. Something in the Q8200-Q9400 range. Will most likely replace the Q8300 and pass that to new machine.

So...when trying to find a suitable motherboard and memory to go with this I noticed that DDR3 was slightly cheaper than DDR2. Now I am thinking it would be better for me to buy DDR3 and a new motherboard for my current desktop and hand down the whole setup as the P5QL-Pro doesn't appear to support DDR3.

This leads me to the question...what motherboard will pull this all together? A socket 775 quad core and DDR3? I'm not trying to spend a lot of cash. I do prefer Asus these days, though. Will it be worth the price drop to go this route? I don't consider myself a gamer as I don't do it often enough to define myself by it, but I do, however, do it often enough that my computer should be defined by it.

Oh, and any arguments against Corsair XMS3? And....this is a stupid question, but is it better to have 2 1gb chips or 1 2gb chip? Is there any change at all in performance by having 2 physical chips?

Solution
Find a replacement board first; ddr3 boards tend to cost more, while the ram is cheaper. Socket 775 wasn't originally designed for ddr3; check ebay or craigslist for a replacement board, then if you find one, sell your old board and ram. Go for a 2x2gb kit of ddr3; I got mine used for only $30, and it overclocks at 1600, but with an h55 board; the socket 775 is more dependent on the cpu fsb for ram speed.

JonBeam

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
As the post stated, I am building a second computer. Thus I will not be selling my old board. It will be going in the second computer or staying in the one it is in.

I am looking for suggestions on solid asus socket 775 motherboards that support DDR3 1333.

If you have a full size atx case, then the p43 chipset should work fine. Newegg has a biostar p43 for only $59.99 new, or an asrock p43 DE3 for about $53 shipped as open box with no accessories. You can order the backplate from asrock america for $5. I had good luck with biostar, and one rma return only took nine days, faster than anyone else. The biostar board only has 2 ddr3 slots, but a 2x2 or 2x4 gb kit of ram is plenty. Newegg has a relatively low inventory of ddr3 775 boards. You can also search pricewatch or ebay. Since 775 is dead as far as new cpus, I recommend you spend less on the board and load up on ram. I found my 2x2gb of kingston 1333 ddr3 for $30 used on craigslist, and it runs at 1600.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi JonBeam :hello: ...First off I will make this quick & short as I have to go to bed for work tomorrow :) ...In the old LGA 775 DDR3 or DDR2 you'd be better off having only 1 x 2 GB stick of ram ;) ...It is only the X58 chipsets & after that they say you can use all the ram ports to good use :) ...You also better hurry up to search & buy,because I search myself & these LGA 775 motherboards are getting more rare with the front side bus going up to 1600 MHz that's if you want those QX9770 though ;) ...With those 1600 MHz fsb mainboards you can generally overclock higher & push your ram up higher also than the 1333 fsb mainboards (and you can still use 1333 fsb cpus on the 1600 fsb motherboards also :) ...So visit those Asus motherboard sites & do a lot of studying before making your choice ;) ...

Solution

JonBeam

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Both good answers. Couldn't decide so I flipped a coin. Not sure if I agree about the 1x2gb now, though. I found I could have been running my memory dual channel this whole time but wasn't because of how I had it configured. Guess that's what I get for being an amateur. :p

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi once again JonBeam :hello: ...You can still use all channels or ram ports :pt1cable: ,but with the X58 chipsets & onwards all the channels get used to better use :pt1cable: ...On HotHardWare a long time ago,they had a test to see what was the best size & number of sticks of ram to use with the XP operating system :pt1cable: ...Before I go on about that article,do not forget that now a days even when using the XP operating system,you have to have at least 2 GB's of ram just so anti-virus/anti-spyware like the PC Tools gear called spyware doctor can run properly when your online ;) ...Although I have used Kaspersky's & 1 stick of 1024 MHz was good enough with their anti-virus & anti-spyware gear when online ;) ...One more thing is that PC Tools spyware doctor did seem to find more things to clear out of my pc,but I thought that Kaspersky's was better to communicate with over the phone & found the answers for me faster when I had to phone them up for support ;) ...For that example of anti-spyware/anti-virus software I used the XP Pro operating system with service pack 3 on a AMD based AM2 motherboard that is AM2+ capable for cpu's ;) ...+++...Now back to that article from Hothardware about the best size & number of ram sticks to use :) ...I will get to it fast since I have been here for a while now :pt1cable: ...They determined that one stick of 512 MHz chucked into the first slot was the best & fastest ;) ...Two ram sticks of 512 MHz chucked into two different channels was slower than using 1 ram stick of 1024 MHz chucked into the first ram port or channel :pt1cable: ...Last of all was the 2 ram sticks of 1024 MHz chucked into 2 separate channels was the slowest,but do not forget you have four ram ports...1 & 3 then 2 & 4 and that is how I use the term channels...One stick of ram chucked into port 1 of the 1 & 3 channel ports,while another stick was chucked into the 2 port of the 2 & 4 channel ports :pt1cable: ...This article was done many years ago & it will take ages to look for,but if you want you can search for it,while I am just going by memory :) ...In fact I may search for that article,but it may take ages since I work long hours :pt1cable: ...