I7 Design PC - $2000 - Questions before i hit the buy button

jin410

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some more advice before I buy the parts for my new build.
Plan on purchasing within 2 weeks but the more i read, the more questions i have :(

PC will be used mainly for graphic design and some editing/Aftereffects

I set up a wish list on newegg

I'm not sure about a couple of parts.

Video card:
I want to stick with Nvidia, they seem to have better performance in Adobe products but I'm not sure if i should get a GTX 470 Fermi or 2 lesser cards in SLI?
My only hesitation is that the GTX 470's run really hot and loud. Would 2 cards be better or worse?

Ram:
Initially i was going to get the CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB for $229.99 but then i found G.SKILL PI Series 6GB for $189.99.
From what i read, i wont be able to overclock G.Skill as much as the Dominators, but i really wasn't planning on OC'ing anyways.
Plus, im thinking about getting 12GB of the G.Skill

SSD:
I was looking at the OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G and the Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2/128GB

I was planning on dual booting windows 7 and osx86 but osx does not have Trim, so this may be a waste.
Should i go for a smaller faster drive and use osx with vmware instead?

Any advice you can give me on the above or any other of my parts will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

You don't need a 1kW PSU. Grab the Cosair 850W Modular 80+ Silver for $70 less.

Definitely get the G.Skill sticks. Corsair is overpriced, especially the Dominators. Also, you may want to look at the Mushkin Enahnced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6. They're still cheaper than the Corsair sticks, and they're the fastest out right now.

Drop down to the HAF 922. It's just as big, but saves you $50.

I'd also get rid of the Corsair H50. Cheap liquid cooling isn't a great idea. Since you're not giong to OC, you dont' really need an aftermarket HSF, but if you want a good, cheap one, get the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus. I haven't looked at the price today, but if it's still $40, you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

As for the SSD, I'm partial to the Corsair Nova 128 GB $335. It's fast, fairly low priced, and it's high quality.

jin410

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks MadAdmiral,

Initially i was going to buy the 850w PSU but it sold out on newegg.
I did find it on amazon.
With the setup I have, will it be able to handle two video cards or possibly three in the far future?