How much space do I need?

xan326

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I mmo and play some disc games, probably about 6 fps and 5 mmo and probably 20 smaller disc games at a time, and less then 1,200 songs and maybe a few HD videos but I have my tv and youtube for that. I usually have Avast, CCleaner, Revo uninstaller, and a couple different CADs on my computer and I use Chrome as my main browser. I'm not sure how much space I need, I was thinking a terabyte is a bit large for a data drive. I've seen things that tell you what size based on video, music, and pictures but none of those ever had games on them, so now I'm wondering how much space games do take up.

ANY help is appreciated. The hard drive is the last part of my build so I'm not worried about anything else.

You can never have too much RAM or too big a hard drive. :D

I'd get the 1TB, then be set for whatever..

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I would say that you could probably estimate an MMO at 50GB to be on the safe side, smaller games we will say 10GB, 20 MB per song, maybe 2GB per HD video...

That puts you somewhere along the lines of 800 GB, so 1 TB is definitely not overkill, you might even want to go to 1.5 TB or 2 TB so that you have some headroom.

xan326

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Well the music will be on my phone and I'll probably just buy another drive just for music if I ever decide my computer needs it. Computer will have max 5 HD videos at once. And are MMO 50GB and games 10GB? I always thought games took up the same amount of space console versions did.

How much space games take up varies A LOT. I'll give some examples from my disk.

Bioshock: 5.6 GB
Crusader Kings II: 1.1 GB
Crysis: 6.3 GB
Dragon Age: Origins: 15.6 GB
Fallout New Vegas: 9.1 GB (with all DLC)
Mass Effect 2: 11.5 GB
Metro 2033: 7.4 GB
Portal 2: 11.1 GB
Skyrim: 8.7 GB
Shogun 2: 25.3 GB

None of those are MMOs - which tend to take up more room than typical games.

xan326

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I'm going to be playing more of like Portal games, Halo, COD MW3/BO2, Skyrim. Then I'm going to have some sim games and then Tron evolution. Some older games, if I can play some of my favorites from my windows98, which I've been playing on Vista, Civilization and some others that I can't let go of just yet. Then the MMOs are ones that I'm finishing up, then there's some coming out next year that I'm going to play. I'll check how much space all of these take up before I decide, if I can see how much space they take up. Oh and I WILL have Minecraft on this computer.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
When I was making my estimation, it was just that, an estimate. And Sakkura is right, the size varies wildly but I think my estimates were fairly accurate, and if your music will be saved/stored elsewhere, that still puts you around 750 GB by my estimates. I would probably recommend a 1.5 TB drive.