Sign in with
Your question

System won't stay on.

Last response: in Components
July 28, 2010 2:42:20 AM

Long story:

Roommate's system has a complete lock up a few night back while watching a video and chatting. Mouse cursor is visible and moves, but Ctrl-Alt-Del isn't working. Attempts several soft resets with the power button. Nothing. Reset switch? Nothing. Has to pull the power cable.

Reconnects power cable. System doesn't boot. No fan spin-ups. No beep errors. Can't even detect the faint sound of power flowing.

We attempt to remove components one by one, but to no avail. We're down to RAM, MoBo, CPU and PSU. RAM would cause a POST error, not lack of power. There's a red light on the back of the PSU. Not being certain if that was normal, we check with Cooler Master's website. "If LED red, is PSU fail." (Nice Engrish...) So off to Fry's we go for a temp solution while waiting for the RMA we'll have to wait until Monday to start. 1200 Watt, multi-rail, modular Antec PSU. Swap it in...

Nothing.

Back to Fry's. Get another EVGA X58 SLi (Same MoBo.) Just hook it up to the 1000 watt Cooler Master. It starts. (Save the obvious errors of no CPU or RAM). So I break it all down and swap in the new MoBo. New thermal paste, get everything connected and try booting. POST error. "Please re-enter CPU (something or-nother in CMOS..." Hit delete to enter BIOS. Start changing settings... screen turns off... whole system is off. I repeat the process several times noting the 7F code on the MoBo LCD when the screen ask me to set the CPU details. Note the system's turn itself off at differing times. Sometimes as soon as the error is posted, others maybe 20-40 seconds later.

Finally sped through the BIOS info and got the info saved. First attempt had the system not post the error, but shut off before getting to the Windows screen.

Decided to swap the graphic card out.

Successfully boot to windows just long enough to not do anything before the system shuts off as if all power was disconnected. No beeping or anything.

System specs

i7 940 (no overclock... stock speeds)
EVGA x58 SLi (both)
6 GB RAM
300 GB Velociraptor
1 TB WD Black
X-Fired Radeon HD 4870x2s (Only trying one at a time currently)
Creative X-Fi
Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000 Watt (alternate Antec Quattro True Power 1200)

Any thoughts? Trouble shooting this thing is taking more time than my full time job.

More about : system stay

July 28, 2010 2:47:34 AM

Try with just 1 stick of RAM and with the Mobo out of the case.
m
l
July 28, 2010 2:55:39 AM

Timop said:
Try with just 1 stick of RAM and with the Mobo out of the case.

Is that even an option with triple channel RAM? I'm also not getting any related post errors...
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2010 2:59:46 AM

It is, it just scales back to single channel.

The fact is you've isolated it to being pretty much just the RAM and CPU, why not try it out.

However, the problem could be as simple as a broken power switch, use a screw driver and see if it turns on.
m
l
July 28, 2010 3:05:28 AM

Timop said:
It is, it just scales back to single channel.

The fact is you've isolated it to being pretty much just the RAM and CPU, why not try it out.

However, the problem could be as simple as a broken power switch, use a screw driver and see if it turns on.

Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post...

We've swapped out the Mobo, and we're booting... but the system isn't staying on for more than maybe a 60-90 seconds. Power switch is working, and original PSU is currently involved.
m
l
July 28, 2010 3:18:06 AM

Shadodragon said:
Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post...

We've swapped out the Mobo, and we're booting... but the system isn't staying on for more than maybe a 60-90 seconds. Power switch is working, and original PSU is currently involved.

Did you try the Antec?
It really sounds like a power/grounding issue to me. Check all connections, clear CMOS, and try booting with the CPU, single stick of RAM and 1 4870 and the motherboard on a cardboard box.
m
l
July 28, 2010 4:09:35 AM

Timop said:
Did you try the Antec?
It really sounds like a power/grounding issue to me. Check all connections, clear CMOS, and try booting with the CPU, single stick of RAM and 1 4870 and the motherboard on a cardboard box.

Getting the same response with the Antec PSU and with any one of the RAM sticks. Gets somewhere between the Windows startup... and the desktop (trying to load video drivers) and then just dies.

No chance to try the cardboard box yet... be a day or so before I'll have one available. Difficult to do too with the length of the power switch wires.

What I don't understand is how a HAF 932 suddenly has grounding issues. The system ran fine in it for more than a year.
m
l
!