ASUS P5B-E gigabit network

mpoirier

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hi,

Just wondering, how can I get the integrated network interface to go to 1GHz...

I use 50 feet of CAT 5e cable connected to D-Link DR-655 10/100/1000 router on Windows XP SP3.

What should I check for my network to run at 1GHz ?

Thanks for any help,

Michel

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Both your NIC and Router have different colored indicators showing the established connection speed. This is done automatically. 50 feet is nothing.

It's ONLY useful if your connecting to another PC or PCs with a Gigabit Ethernet for file transfers, and any of the speeds supporter by either your NIC or Router won't hinder or improve your Internet connection.

mpoirier

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hello, thanks for the Welcome.

I just connected a WD 1T Raid box on my router and now I find 100MHz a bit slow.

I know my motherboard (ASUS P5B-E) has a Attansic 1GHz port and my router (D-Link DIR-655) should also run at 1GHz.

I just can't get them to connect at this speed.

I played with the settings in my network driver but no luck...

Thanks for any help !

Michel

If I understood correctly; connection speed limits:
ASUS P5B-E = 10/100/1000
D-Link DIR-655 = 10/100/1000
RAID Box = 10/100/??

It will all be as fast as the slowest connection which is 100/?? Mb/s. Also, there are a few different ways to wire the Ethernet Cables, I assume that the cables complies with the appropriate 802.3__ used by the router. Also, while CAT 5e can work, CAT 6 is preferred and has been standard for sometime with Gigabit cabling.

mpoirier

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
I will look into the CAT6 cable, but it seemed to me CAT5e was ok for 1G network.

My connection is only between my computer and the router, it is THIS connection that I am trying to get to run at 1G.

I am wondering if the mb has limitations or bugs that prevent fast connection...

And yes the WD My Book World II is 10/100/1000.

Thanks,
Michel

I'm using TIA/EIA 568A CAT 5 cabling and I have no issues running my gigabit network. The reason why your system doesn't detect the router at 1G is caused by something else like ports being configured for 100Mbps. If the cables were low quality, you'd get errors and you would have to set the speed to 100Mbps; otherwise it would still try to connect at 1G. Does your PC connect at 1G if you use a short cable to connect to the router? If not, then you need to figure out why.

For a very short hop the CAT5 won't suffer from crosstalk, but any sufficient length will cause the router to auto-detect and reduce to 100 Mbps.

CAT5 is fine for telephone, but nowadays the de facto minimum standard is CAT6 with T568B wiring.

As I said test the connection, and test it with cabling the 'turned-on' the 1000 Mbps Router indicator. Do this to rule-out 'cable vs device'.

You notice my motto "Do it Right..." this isn't my network...there's the right way, wrong way, and jerry-rigged way. :)

I said to test, maybe I wasn't clear enough. YES use a KNOWN GOOD CABLE and test to determine if the problem is the Cable OR Device {PC/RAID}.

Example:
PC {Wire A} Router = 1000 Mbps
RAID {Wire B} Router = 100 Mbps

Test
RAID {Wire A} Router = 100 Mbps ; Problem = Device

Test
RAID {Wire A} Router = 1000 Mbps ; Problem = {Wire B}

Test
RAID {Wire A} + {WALL Port} Router = 100 Mbps ; Problem = {WALL Port}
RAID {Wire A} Router = 1000 Mbps

mpoirier

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
I am going to redo the cabling from basement to my office on second floor.

What is the deal with T568A vs T568B connection ?

The connector attached to the wall plate has both wiring diagram for the pins on the back. How do I know which one to use ?

Thanks again for your help !

Michel