Closed Solved

Seagate Barracuda 3TB vs. Western Digital 3TB?

Hey there,
I just recently bought 5 3TB Seagate Barracudas for RAID arraying in a lab data server. Western Digital just released the Red line today, and I was just wondering if it would be worth it to eat the cost of a re-stock for the 3 year warranty vs. the 1 year warranty that comes with the Seagate Barracuda (along with the RAID/NAS friendly features the Red drives have).

3TB Seagate Barracuda (7200RPM, 1 yr warranty)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

3TB Western Digital Red (variable RPM, 3yr warranty)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236344

The re-stock fee would be ~$127 (15%)

Advice?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about seagate barracuda western digital
  1. 3TB Western Digital Red , looks like a nice niche product from wd.
  2. Sorry to say, but eat the restocking fee. In my experience, Seagates are notorious for dying (most of the time just after the warranty runs out) and in a RAID setup thats bad.

Go with WD.
  3. With the reliability and better warranty go with WD.
  4. Follow up question, although this may be a question better suited for the NAS/RAID board. In the trade off between storage and reliability, would it make more sense to go with more than 5+ WD 2TB Caviar Blacks, or stick with 5 of these new 3TB WD Reds? I guess it's still too early to tell how reliable the Reds are going to be, but part of me is wondering whether or not I should stick to something currently known as heavy duty and reliable.
  5. should i stick to something currently known as heavy duty and reliable < always helps because you know that these are great performers.caviar blacks are true and tested.
  6. Best answer
    That is a good question zielaks, personally with an investment like that I would err on the side of caution and go with the Caviar Blacks, though the Reds are tempting. I dont think they have been out long enough to really say how they will perform alone, much less in a RAID where small problems can become big problems.
  7. I agree , go with the drives that aren't rookies in the game,maybe down the road we will see if the reds become a bigger player in the game.
  8. Thanks to both of you, sorry I can only pick one best answer, you were both helpful.
  9. Best answer selected by zielaks.
  10. Glad the forum could help,great work dalmvern.
  11. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Seagate NAS / RAID Storage Product