Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asus GTX 470 Issue - slow boot/performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 21, 2010 8:53:20 PM

I just purchased an Asus GTX 470 board with which I had having a very strange issue. I honestly didn't think before this happened that a video card could cause this type of issue. But anyway, Asus techs have been unable to help me, and as a result want me to RMA the board... which I now have. But i still figured I would come here and see if anyone has ever seen anything like it before.

The issue is that when I install the gfx card, it causes my computer to run ridiculously slow. I'm talking 10-15 minutes to get past the Windows 7 logo at startup, and when it does eventually get to the login screen and subsequently the desktop, it takes incredible system resources to do anything whatsoever, causes choppy mouse movements and *extreme* slowdown. When I take the 470 out and put my GTX 275 back in, the problems go away. I did a full wipe of the hard drive after Asus techs thought it might be a software conflict, as did I, to no avail.

The reasons I originally didn't believe it was a failed board: I had access to Windows XP 32-bit installed on a separate hard drive, though wiping the Windows 7 hard drive destroyed my access to this install. The card worked fine (caused no slowdown) on XP, and I thought it worked fine, but then I installed and played the Starcraft 2 beta. At first I believed the game was rendering perfectly, but as the game went along I started to experience slowdown and general choppyness, as well as very few effects in the game (such as explosions). I attributed this to DX9, but I have fixed my access to XP and played it with my GTX 275 and it seems to look/play about the same as it did in W7.

Which brings me to this post. I have never experienced this type of issue before. I have been doing research online trying to find anyone that has, and have not. The fact that the card works in Windows XP 32-bit made me originally think it was fine and might just be a software issue, but after seeing its performance in Starcraft 2, I really do think it's a defective card and the RMA was justified. However, given that Asus uses XP (I was told this by their techs) I am wary that Asus might determine there is nothing wrong with it, and send it back to me with some explanation bascially telling me that I'm nuts. I wanted some input from other people out there. Basically, has anyone seen anything like this before?

Below is a list of system specs and attempted solutions. If there is some piece of info I've left out, let me know. Also, if anyone knows of anyone with a Foxconn Renaissance mobo that has happened to install one of the new Fermi boards without issue, that would help me rule out a mobo issue (which is my second idea for the cause of the issue behind the card actually being defective).

Specs:
Windows 7 Pro x64 installed on a WD3200AAJS (320GB WD SATA 3.0)
Windows XP installed on a partition of an old 80GB Maxtor from a Dell
Ubuntu installed on partition of a WD6400AAKS (640GB WD SATA 3.0)
Foxconn Renaissance Mobo
Intel core i7-920
6GB (3x2GB) OCZ triple channel memory kit (OCZ3X1333LV6GK)
Asus Xonar DX sound card
LG SATA DVD burner
an Asus GTX 470 & an EVGA GTX 275 896MB
OCZ 700W PSU

Attempted solutions:
*Re-isntalled GTX 275 -> no problems
*Booted to Windows XP -> experienced slowdown, choppyness and a lack of in-game effects
*Wiped Windows 7 and clean install -> installed slowly; when install was complete and all software was stock W7 (no drivers, etc) problem still exists
*Booted to safe mode, went to device manager and uninstalled video driver for the GTX 470 -> no change
*Un-OC'd CPU and memory -> no change
*Uninstalled/reinstalled drivers -> no change
*Mobo BIOS is updated -> no change
*Drivers on all hardware requiring drivers are updated -> no change
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 21, 2010 9:02:57 PM

I guess we'll all soon come to know once you get the new card at your hands.. Good luck.. Do post back with the new card experience..
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 21, 2010 9:10:15 PM

So it worked fine in Win 32-bit, but not 64-bit. My first guess would be a memory problem, but for what I'm thinking I would expect more random behavior. Anyway, try it with only two sticks. Alternate taking the sticks out to see if one of them is the problem. My other guess is a conflict with the sound card. Fermi Cards have integrated sound, like Radeon Cards, to support sound over HDMI. It could be that there is simply a driver conflict between that and your sound card. Take out your ASUS Xonar and disable your onboard sound to see if that fixes the problem. Finally, the issue may lie with your PSU. After all, a GTX 470 uses a bit more power than a GTX 275 and perhaps your PSU is simply not stable enough for the finicky 470 at idle. I don't suppose you have another one you can use to test it out?

If none of that helps, then I would say try the card in another computer, or a friends computer, to see if it still acts the same so that you can RMA it. Could just be the darn thing is defective :p 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
April 21, 2010 9:11:36 PM

Ah, I missed the part where you already RMA'd it. Well hopefully they give you a new one and it will work. :D 
m
0
l
April 21, 2010 9:17:57 PM

megamanx00 said:
So it worked fine in Win 32-bit, but not 64-bit. My first guess would be a memory problem, but for what I'm thinking I would expect more random behavior. Anyway, try it with only two sticks. Alternate taking the sticks out to see if one of them is the problem. My other guess is a conflict with the sound card. Fermi Cards have integrated sound, like Radeon Cards, to support sound over HDMI. It could be that there is simply a driver conflict between that and your sound card. Take out your ASUS Xonar and disable your onboard sound to see if that fixes the problem. Finally, the issue may lie with your PSU. After all, a GTX 470 uses a bit more power than a GTX 275 and perhaps your PSU is simply not stable enough for the finicky 470 at idle. I don't suppose you have another one you can use to test it out?


I would think that if it was memory, it would have issues w/ the 275 or on XP as well... but maybe not.

I considered that it might have been an issue w/ the Xonar, but after I did a clean install, it was still slow. There were no drivers installed (for anything) at that point, and I could even tell that the install itself was slow. I *should have* taken the Xonar out, just to see, too late now.

And as for the PSU, I would think that 700W would be enough, wouldn't you?

I also should've taken it to a friend's comp. That whole hindsight thing you know. :??: 
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 21, 2010 9:40:09 PM

Your basic post was about anyone having experienced or heard about anything similar.. To answer that, congrats..!! you are the first one with it.. In other words, NO.. Haven't heard on anything ( or similar ).. Though i can understand your frustration, its good to know that you've a theory.. I still think its a bad chip fault.. Like i mentioned before, do post back once your new card arrives and you are all set with it.. Good luck..
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 21, 2010 10:28:02 PM

Yeah, hindsight, I know the feeling :D . Anyway, if it was the memory that doesn't mean you would also have issues in XP. The 64-bit version uses a little less memory so depending on the bad memory address it may not have shown up. As for the 32-bit version can only address 4GB, so minus the 2GB or so from the 470 and system devices means you would have been addressing just a little over 2GB of your system RAM in XP 32-bit.
m
0
l
April 22, 2010 1:27:56 AM

I would bet my money on:
1) Faulty card
2) Faulty or incompatible PSU (although i am not sure on how much power the Fermi draws, all benchmarks so far seem to be pointing to a power hungry monster)

Hope your new card works fine though. Fingers crossed
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 22, 2010 1:40:21 AM

If your PSU has more than one rail it is most likely that. I have an 850w backup PSU that cannot run a single GTX 470 because it is running "4 rails" at 18A each. You will need a single rail PSU with at least 40/42A

If you have one of these its a now-show :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Hope this helps =)
m
0
l
April 22, 2010 2:42:18 AM

OvrClkr said:
If your PSU has more than one rail it is most likely that. I have an 850w backup PSU that cannot run a single GTX 470 because it is running "4 rails" at 18A each. You will need a single rail PSU with at least 40/42A

If you have one of these its a now-show :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Hope this helps =)



My PSU is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My question is, why would it run the card in XP, i.e., not cause slow-down, and yet fail to run it in W7?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 2:46:15 AM

I have seen poor PSUs cause very slow boots before.

Also, it is my understanding not to worry about the # of rails, as very few PSUs have true 'rails'. Most are fake (tied together), so just pay attention to the max combined wattage.
m
0
l
April 22, 2010 4:44:37 AM

unaligned said:
My PSU is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My question is, why would it run the card in XP, i.e., not cause slow-down, and yet fail to run it in W7?


Did you run the same drivers on both?

Also W7 uses Aero which means it is using your VGA from scratch to do all those pretty graphics, XP does not.
m
0
l
April 22, 2010 4:54:54 AM

darkguset said:
Did you run the same drivers on both?

Also W7 uses Aero which means it is using your VGA from scratch to do all those pretty graphics, XP does not.


No, not the same drivers, but that doesn't explain why it would take years to boot past the logo in W7 and not in XP. And it also doesn't explain why it would seemingly render SC2 just fine in XP when I started playing it (though it did start to render less well as the game went along, as noted in the OP).
m
0
l
April 22, 2010 4:55:04 AM

There may be a problem with the video card's rom.
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 1:36:34 AM

unaligned said:
No, not the same drivers, but that doesn't explain why it would take years to boot past the logo in W7 and not in XP. And it also doesn't explain why it would seemingly render SC2 just fine in XP when I started playing it (though it did start to render less well as the game went along, as noted in the OP).


If the card is overheating because it is faulty, then yes it would explain why it rendered well in XP initially (it took longer to overheat) rather than in W7 which is already heating up from the desktop (Aero) even before you start a game or anything.
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 1:47:31 AM

darkguset said:
If the card is overheating because it is faulty, then yes it would explain why it rendered well in XP initially (it took longer to overheat) rather than in W7 which is already heating up from the desktop (Aero) even before you start a game or anything.


I never said it was overheating. I used GUP-Z on the desktop when I booted into W7 and it was safely in the 50-60C range. Even under full stress in XP it only got to 80 (normal for a 470).
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 3:17:52 AM

unaligned said:
I never said it was overheating. I used GUP-Z on the desktop when I booted into W7 and it was safely in the 50-60C range. Even under full stress in XP it only got to 80 (normal for a 470).


I did not say that you said it was overheating. I am just giving you an example of many things that can go wrong with one of the components. And the temperatures that we can monitor are the GPU temperatures. While the GPU reports that it is in a safe 50C it does not mean that another component on the card is not overheating and therefor causing you trouble.

2 of the most bizarre things i have come across are:

1) SUMO VGA with Philips CD-ROM incompatibility (SUMO fixed it later with a VGA BIOS update) - the computer would boot with graphics corrupted and then it would halt right after drive detection

2) CPU missing one pin (this was not fixed, lol) - the computer would boot fine into Windows, but then all sorts of crazy problems would appear (random freezing, blue screens, slow copy files, etc)
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 12:00:03 AM

Apparently the card really was defective... they are waiting to get another one to send me. I'm sure I'll be waiting awhile because of the low stock of the new Fermi cards.
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 1:42:49 AM

To be honest i would suspect the PSU is the problem, only because most of the time when people buy new GPU's their current PSU is not up to the job or something is wrong.

This happened to me once when i tried running my Gtx285 And 9800GTX with the same PSU, which was only 550W, since i got my new PSU the boot problems/choppy computer went away.

I hope it was just a defective card, it's annoying when you buy something just to find out you need something else
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 4:01:00 AM

One major difference between windows 7 and windows xp is power management. Windows xp has no power management what so ever. Windows 7 on the other hand can dynamically control power to many components such as CPU, hard drives, and PCI-E lanes. Windows 7 wouldn't touch these main components unless you are on battery power or manually set to.

If you add faulty BIOS or bad windows 7 copy into the equation you might get some power issues.
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 4:52:38 AM

rofl_my_waffle said:
One major difference between windows 7 and windows xp is power management. Windows xp has no power management what so ever. Windows 7 on the other hand can dynamically control power to many components such as CPU, hard drives, and PCI-E lanes. Windows 7 wouldn't touch these main components unless you are on battery power or manually set to.

If you add faulty BIOS or bad windows 7 copy into the equation you might get some power issues.


Well we can rule out the battery as it's a desktop. I don't recall changing anything in terms of power other than "performance" in power options. I have updated my BIOS, so unless it has an unknown issue, I doubt that's the problem either. Unless it truly is the PSU, I can't see power options being the problem.

I guess you can never really rule out a faulty Windows copy, but I would think that would be a relatively rare problem. I downloaded it from MSDNAA so if it really is causing problems, other people would know it, as would Microsoft.

Now that those have been addressed, all of the proposed issues that I have seen here don't really take into consideration the fact that I highly doubt any of them would surface until W7 got at least to the login screen (and why would W7 load sloooooow while XP loads as normal?). I notice the problem at the Windows logo simply by the fact that it takes 10+ minutes to load (i.e., get past the logo; usually takes 30 seconds max). I wouldn't expect the video card would have anything to do with the actual loading of the Windows, except of course loading the video driver. And I addressed that by removing all drivers, as well as booting in safe mode (which strangely enough went smooth and fast), going to device manager, and removing the video driver there. At that point, there was nothing installed in regards to drivers to load on startup, yet the problem still existed. Strange indeed.
m
0
l
May 8, 2010 1:07:42 AM

Update for those who are even remotely curious:

Just received a totally new card from Asus (which is strange, given that the problem seems to have been a system conflict all along). All issues exactly the same with the new card. This gives overwhelming evidence that the problem is a system conflict. However, as I just moved to strange land, miles away from anything I've ever known (OK, just 90 miles), I no longer have any friends whose computer I can use to test the board on.

Sigh. Looks like I'm a guinea pig trying to figure out which piece of my system is the culprit. But rest assured, if I find a conflict I'll let the world know who's to blame. I brought the PSU question up to an Asus tech, but he wasn't convinced or even a little curious that it might be the PSU.

Here is an added observation; when the computer boots up, I can hear it accessing the hard drive as usual. But about 30 sec - a minute in (about the time when it normally would get to the login screen) the hard drive stops making noise, and continues to be silent for about 10-15 minutes until it decides that it wants to do something, and finally spins up again and gets to the login screen.

I am curious what would make it stop accessing, then make it kick in again 10 mins later.

Another observation: I use a gadget that shows CPU usage, and once the computer gets to the desktop, it shows that all 8 threads of the i7 are working at pretty much full capacity, yet doing basically nothing. It's working hard and making no progress for its efforts.
m
0
l
May 10, 2010 4:05:54 PM

Well, I believe can safely rule out PSU problems... I went to Best Buy and purchased the following PSU with a larger 12v rail amperage and there was no change in behavior.

new PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I also removed the Xonar DX along with the wireless LAN card I had installed. At this point, there were no extra cards/devices installed besides what's absolutely required and there was no change in behavior. I am running out of options here... The only thing I can think of that is left is there is still some option in the BIOS that is conflicting, some other un-patched issue with the BIOS, or simply the motherboard itself is faulty.

Quite annoying.

Update: ran Furmark for several minutes on max display resolution (1920 X 1080) in XP, temps seemed fine (91C) no choppyness or artifacts. So the card seems to run just fine in XP. The problem is with W7... somehow. GAH!
m
0
l
May 10, 2010 10:16:44 PM

Im running an msi 480 on a psu very similar to your original without problem, also an i7-920\do @4ghz with a win7 os. On a side note win7 does prompt me to disable aero since 480 install but not having long boot times and such.
m
0
l
May 10, 2010 10:33:39 PM

soulgraph said:
Im running an msi 480 on a psu very similar to your original without problem, also an i7-920\do @4ghz with a win7 os. On a side note win7 does prompt me to disable aero since 480 install but not having long boot times and such.


Yes, I've all but ruled out the PSU being my problem. There is something that tries to load during the W7 logo that fails to, and causes this problem. To fix it, I've deleted GFX drivers, but it hasn't changed anything.
m
0
l
May 11, 2010 6:19:24 PM

I just purchased a PNY GTX 470 and I'm having the same problem from what I've read so far. I bought an ATI 5770 yesterday but wasn't happy with it at all, so I went back and got the 470. I removed all of the ATI drivers and software and Installed the new card and latest drivers and now I'm waiting for windows to load arghhh.


Intel i5 750
EVGA P55 Micro ATX
4GB Corsair XMS 3 DDR3
Corsair HX 750
PNY GTX 470
Win7 Home Premium 64
m
0
l
May 11, 2010 6:27:44 PM

vandrew82 said:
I just purchased a PNY GTX 470 and I'm having the same problem from what I've read so far. I bought an ATI 5770 yesterday but wasn't happy with it at all, so I went back and got the 470. I removed all of the ATI drivers and software and Installed the new card and latest drivers and now I'm waiting for windows to load arghhh.


Question: are you using AVG?
m
0
l
May 11, 2010 8:05:42 PM

Yes I am using AVG Free. I stumbled across your post on Win 7 forums. I'm going to uninstall AVG when I get home, but that hasn't fixed the problem for you has it?
m
0
l
May 11, 2010 8:11:00 PM

vandrew82 said:
Yes I am using AVG Free. I stumbled across your post on Win 7 forums. I'm going to uninstall AVG when I get home, but that hasn't fixed the problem for you has it?


It fixed the boot issue so now it boots what would be normally, I believe, but there is still a severe decrease in system performance. I'm still looking for what could be causing that. Deleting AVG might work for you.
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 2:37:13 AM

unaligned said:
It fixed the boot issue so now it boots what would be normally, I believe, but there is still a severe decrease in system performance. I'm still looking for what could be causing that. Deleting AVG might work for you.





Well I looked at my rig when I got home and I had already uninstalled AVG so thats not my problem. I was hoping it was a bad card so I took the card back and the guy behind the counter let me exchange the PNY for EVGA and now I'm typng this meesage in SAFE MODE yay! SO I think I have ruled out a bad card and maybe a specific brand (but the only diff in brand is the warranty a cooler) so I figured that wasn't a problem but I liked EVGA's warranty so I decided to go ahead and switch. I'm gonna try some different drivers and I'll post back.
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 4:21:23 AM

vandrew82 said:
Well I looked at my rig when I got home and I had already uninstalled AVG so thats not my problem. I was hoping it was a bad card so I took the card back and the guy behind the counter let me exchange the PNY for EVGA and now I'm typng this meesage in SAFE MODE yay! SO I think I have ruled out a bad card and maybe a specific brand (but the only diff in brand is the warranty a cooler) so I figured that wasn't a problem but I liked EVGA's warranty so I decided to go ahead and switch. I'm gonna try some different drivers and I'll post back.


Corrupted OS? Try a quick bare OS (minimum drivers) installation on a spare HD and see if you get any problems there.
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 1:39:38 PM

darkguset said:
Corrupted OS? Try a quick bare OS (minimum drivers) installation on a spare HD and see if you get any problems there.






I'm almost certain its not the OS. I can put a different card in and I have no problems and UNALIGNED has already tried a fresh install and that did not fix his problem. I am convinced it's a driver issue. When I first install the 470 (no drivers) my PC boots and gets to the desktop no problem but as soon as I install the drivers and reboot my computer will not even make it to the desktop it just sets there and thinks.
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 2:04:13 PM

vandrew82 said:
I'm almost certain its not the OS. I can put a different card in and I have no problems and UNALIGNED has already tried a fresh install and that did not fix his problem. I am convinced it's a driver issue. When I first install the 470 (no drivers) my PC boots and gets to the desktop no problem but as soon as I install the drivers and reboot my computer will not even make it to the desktop it just sets there and thinks.


If you sit there and let it think for as long as it wants, does it ever get to the login screen/desktop?
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 2:10:04 PM

unaligned said:
If you sit there and let it think for as long as it wants, does it ever get to the login screen/desktop?



MY rig will get to the login screen pretty quick but after I log in and the "welcome" banner appears it just sets there and thinks. I have yet to give it enough time to get to the desktop but I have waited at least 20 min then I restart usally into safe mode.
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 2:18:59 PM

vandrew82 said:
MY rig will get to the login screen pretty quick but after I log in and the "welcome" banner appears it just sets there and thinks. I have yet to give it enough time to get to the desktop but I have waited at least 20 min then I restart usally into safe mode.


Interesting... what I'm currently in the middle of is updating BIOS and chipset drivers. Have you made sure all of that is done on yours?
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 2:22:22 PM

unaligned said:
Interesting... what I'm currently in the middle of is updating BIOS and chipset drivers. Have you made sure all of that is done on yours?



No I haven't had a chance to update chipset or bios. My board is pretty new so I don't even know if there is an update for the BIOS. I hope it works for you tho :) 
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 2:53:14 PM

vandrew82 said:
No I haven't had a chance to update chipset or bios. My board is pretty new so I don't even know if there is an update for the BIOS. I hope it works for you tho :) 


Don't worry, it didn't :( 
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 3:07:58 PM

unaligned said:
Don't worry, it didn't :( 




Ahhhhh! I'm so close to taking this card back and going with ATI.
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 3:39:12 PM

vandrew82 said:
Ahhhhh! I'm so close to taking this card back and going with ATI.


You're lucky that you have that option... I bought mine from Newegg, they don't do refunds on GFX cards.
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 3:45:34 PM

unaligned said:
You're lucky that you have that option... I bought mine from Newegg, they don't do refunds on GFX cards.



Just talked to EVGA they told me update my BIOS and Chipset Drivers and to check my voltages in BIOS. Have done all that?
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 3:48:45 PM

vandrew82 said:
Just talked to EVGA they told me update my BIOS and Chipset Drivers and to check my voltages in BIOS. Have done all that?


Which voltages? I don't think I can change my PCI-E voltages on my mobo... its OC abilities are not that great. Everything else is stock.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 12, 2010 4:41:40 PM

Keep trying fixes, however if you do decide you want to return for a refund, send an email to Newegg explaining what happened. This was something impossible to predict (and still pretty odd) so it is not impossible that they'd make an exception to the rules for you.
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 4:45:43 PM

unaligned said:
Which voltages? I don't think I can change my PCI-E voltages on my mobo... its OC abilities are not that great. Everything else is stock.


I just took a peek at my BIOS and I didn't see a selection for PCI-E voltage but I just wanted to make sure that I was getting 12v to my mobo. All the voltages look perfect to me on my MOBO so I don't think that's the problem.

Are you still in contat with ASUS? I'm not gonna let the tech guys at EVGA rest until this card is working like the beast it should be. I have a brand new EVGA MOBO, new Corsair Memory, new Corsair PSU Proffesional series, New Intel i5-750 and a new case. This is the nicest system I've ever built so I bought a sweet ass GPU to make my system very solid, but instead I get safe mode. FML

I hope I can help get this fixed sometime soon, keep the faith my 470 breahtren
m
0
l
May 12, 2010 5:36:33 PM

EXT64 said:
Keep trying fixes, however if you do decide you want to return for a refund, send an email to Newegg explaining what happened. This was something impossible to predict (and still pretty odd) so it is not impossible that they'd make an exception to the rules for you.


I think I've tried everything out there to try except replacing my mobo, and something tells me thats not the problem (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hard...). I think it's some conflicting service/process/application on my computer but I can't find out what it is.

The slow boot was solved by getting rid of AVG (which itself is VERY strange considering before I RMA'd the card, I performed a clean install and the problem still existed after), but my performance is still severely impacted by something.

vandrew82 said:
I just took a peek at my BIOS and I didn't see a selection for PCI-E voltage but I just wanted to make sure that I was getting 12v to my mobo. All the voltages look perfect to me on my MOBO so I don't think that's the problem.

Are you still in contat with ASUS? I'm not gonna let the tech guys at EVGA rest until this card is working like the beast it should be. I have a brand new EVGA MOBO, new Corsair Memory, new Corsair PSU Proffesional series, New Intel i5-750 and a new case. This is the nicest system I've ever built so I bought a sweet ass GPU to make my system very solid, but instead I get safe mode. FML

I hope I can help get this fixed sometime soon, keep the faith my 470 breahtren


I have talked to Asus many times. I wish I could contact Foxconn by phone, but their tech support is lacking (a better word would be useless). This whole thing has made me very dearly want to replace my mobo, even if it isn't the problem. But I digress. Asus has been completely and utterly unable to help me, and the only progress I've made is by the help of the guy on the above-linked thread.
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 3:30:34 AM

unaligned said:
I think I've tried everything out there to try except replacing my mobo, and something tells me thats not the problem (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hard...). I think it's some conflicting service/process/application on my computer but I can't find out what it is.

The slow boot was solved by getting rid of AVG (which itself is VERY strange considering before I RMA'd the card, I performed a clean install and the problem still existed after), but my performance is still severely impacted by something.



I have talked to Asus many times. I wish I could contact Foxconn by phone, but their tech support is lacking (a better word would be useless). This whole thing has made me very dearly want to replace my mobo, even if it isn't the problem. But I digress. Asus has been completely and utterly unable to help me, and the only progress I've made is by the help of the guy on the above-linked thread.



I finally got a chance to update my bios, re installed the drivers and rebooted and now it's running perfect. I have yet to put any kind of load on the card yet to see how it performs, but windows if functioning normally so updating the BIOS was the solution for me. I hope you can get your problme fixed soon. I'll gladly help in whatever way I can. Good Luck !!
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 12:23:00 PM

vandrew82 said:
I finally got a chance to update my bios, re installed the drivers and rebooted and now it's running perfect. I have yet to put any kind of load on the card yet to see how it performs, but windows if functioning normally so updating the BIOS was the solution for me. I hope you can get your problme fixed soon. I'll gladly help in whatever way I can. Good Luck !!


I'm glad you got yours working but it's not gonna solve mine... My BIOS is updated and I have the latest chipset drivers. And it happens regardless of whether the gfx card drivers installed or not (tried uninstall/reinstalling them many times).

I just re-performed a clean install on a different hard drive to rule out that my HD is failing and the same thing occurs. I'm so hopelessly clueless.
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 9:03:10 PM

Alright, to anyone that is having a similar problem, try using only 1 RAM stick. I took out two of my sticks and the problem has solved itself, it seems. Now my only issue is trying to find out how to get it to work with my other 2 RAM sticks (hint, hint Foxconn; get off your ass and do some programming to fix the Renaissance BIOS).
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 11:38:40 PM

vandrew82 said:
I finally got a chance to update my bios, re installed the drivers and rebooted and now it's running perfect. I have yet to put any kind of load on the card yet to see how it performs, but windows if functioning normally so updating the BIOS was the solution for me. I hope you can get your problme fixed soon. I'll gladly help in whatever way I can. Good Luck !!



Congratulations to you!
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 11:39:35 PM

unaligned said:
Alright, to anyone that is having a similar problem, try using only 1 RAM stick. I took out two of my sticks and the problem has solved itself, it seems. Now my only issue is trying to find out how to get it to work with my other 2 RAM sticks (hint, hint Foxconn; get off your ass and do some programming to fix the Renaissance BIOS).


Good finding unaligned!
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 11:46:33 PM

darkguset said:
Good finding unaligned!


Well I'm not done yet... I still have to get it working with all my RAM.
m
0
l
!