Sign in with
Your question

Best Mainboard+CPU Upgrade

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 28, 2010 3:32:20 AM

Hey guys, i am going to be upgrading my mainboard and CPU within the next month and i need help choosing :) , i am looking to spend about $400AU for both. My current PC specs are a: 34inch LCD (1980x1080) Running windows 7 ultimate 64bit on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Mainboard, Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13ghz), 4gb DDR2 and a Radeon HD5770. Im trying to upgrade piece by piece as i have little money to spare after rent / bills so i got the Radeon HD5770 first, now im just looking for a cheap upgrade which will run games decently. Battlefield bad company 2 runs terribly with my current setup, and i just figured it was my CPU mostly to blame. Thanks for all your help in advance :D 

More about : mainboard cpu upgrade

a b à CPUs
July 28, 2010 3:55:26 AM

You're motherboard supports Core 2 Quad processors (the Q series... if you wanted to upgrade CPu you could just look for a Q8300 on newegg ($150).

I cant believe it runs that bad on your 5770.... What settings do you have the graphics at? If you're running on high with high AA. thats why. You should be playing on low to medium
m
l
a c 317 à CPUs
July 28, 2010 4:00:48 AM

I suspect that your cpu is the problem, but to test that out, try these two tests:

1) Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

2) Keeping your graphics resolution and settings the same, reduce your cpu power. Do this by removing the overclock, or by using windows power management to set a maximum cpu% of perhaps 70%. If your FPS drops significantly, it indicates that your current cpu is a limiting factor, and that a faster cpu would help.

I assume the AU$ is on a par with US$.

In addition to cpu and motherboard, you are looking at DDR3 ram.

Read this article on $350 gaming platforms from AMD and Intel:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i3-gaming,2588...

From it, I conclude that the Intel processors are good in most cases, particularly when you overclock.
The AMD quads are good if your games can make use of three or more cores.
The i3-540 has been reduced in price a bit which makes it even more interesting.

Of course, you could try to find a E8500 or E8600 on e-bay. It would just cost you $100-$150 net after selling your 6400 to upgrade.
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2010 4:19:59 AM

I run it on high graphics with 1x AA, any more AA and it jut gets choppy, its runs ALOT better on XP, but i dont want to be playing it on XP hence why i want to upgrade :p , i turned the CPU clock down to 6x which made it 1.6ghz and it did run worse, What do you think about not getting a new motherboard and just going for the Core 2 Quad then ?
m
l
a c 317 à CPUs
July 28, 2010 4:36:03 AM

sp3nny88 said:
I run it on high graphics with 1x AA, any more AA and it jut gets choppy, its runs ALOT better on XP, but i dont want to be playing it on XP hence why i want to upgrade :p , i turned the CPU clock down to 6x which made it 1.6ghz and it did run worse, What do you think about not getting a new motherboard and just going for the Core 2 Quad then ?

Test 2 results confirm to me that a cpu change is in order. Can you overclock that 6400?

Few games today can utilize 3 or 4 cores. The clock rate and instruction execution efficiency are more important.
I would not invest much in your current system excepting going to a E8500 or better.

If your time frame can be the end of this year, I think we might see Sandy bridge launched. A better architecture and 32nm will be a compelling upgrade then.

m
l
July 28, 2010 7:54:25 AM

I have read somewhere a review on the BF:BC2 is actually using 4 cores, so you'll be best if you upgrade to a quad core. Indeed Q9### are very good processors if your motherboard supports it.
m
l
August 5, 2010 4:21:46 AM

geofelt said:
Test 2 results confirm to me that a cpu change is in order. Can you overclock that 6400?

Few games today can utilize 3 or 4 cores. The clock rate and instruction execution efficiency are more important.
I would not invest much in your current system excepting going to a E8500 or better.

If your time frame can be the end of this year, I think we might see Sandy bridge launched. A better architecture and 32nm will be a compelling upgrade then.

Hmm i just read a little about the sandy bridge, seems interesting, i will obviously have to get a new motherboard, i wonder what price range a supporting motherboard will be.
m
l
August 5, 2010 5:02:40 AM

Stupido said:
I have read somewhere a review on the BF:BC2 is actually using 4 cores, so you'll be best if you upgrade to a quad core. Indeed Q9### are very good processors if your motherboard supports it.

the difference is only l2 cache.. Q8xxx has 4 mb and Q9xxx has 6 or /12 in EE...
m
l
!