Solved

Ram causing BSOD on Win7 64 bit

Hi all , about 9 months ago i did my first build as follows
i5 750 , 4 gig gskill ram , p55 ud3 , ati radeon hd5850 , win 7 64 bit , mostly for gaming .
I have made sure my updates and drivers are always current

Since day one i have had BSOD constantly , at least one a day . I replaced the motherboard with a gigabyte p55 ud5 , replaced the graphics card with another hd5850 , got a good power supply with a corsiar tx 750 watt . I still got blue screens , normally with differant reasons .

so i am now running I5 750 , crossfire hd5850's , corsair 750 watt , gigabyte p55 ud5 .

I have just taken out one stick of ram and now I no longer getting any blue screens . I have tested both sticks of ram and mem test says that they are good , but as soon as I add therm both back to slots 1 & 3 , i start getting the blue screens again .

Can someone tell me what is going on with that ? Can i run both of them out of differant slots eg 1 and 4 or 3 and 4 ?

Will buying some new ram solve the problem? Any ideas and thoughts

Thanks
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about causing bsod win7
  1. Drop the G.Skill RAM and replace it with Corsair XMS3 instead. Originally I thought that the Asus boards didnt like the Ripjaws, but from the problems you have described it looks like that Asus doesnt like G.Skill period.
  2. Asus board ? but I have been using a gigabyte motherboard with g skill rippjaws

After a lot of reading and research it seems to effect a lot of people .

I am about to try increasing the ram voltage to 1.6 and see if that will make both sticks stable .

If not I will invest in the corsair ram u have mentioned .
  3. With one stick, it's okay to use the first slot. However, with two sticks of RAM they should go into slots 2 and 4. Try that and report back.
  4. HI all ,
    I have increased the ddram voltage in the bios from 1.5 volts to 1.6 volts . It says on the specs for the ram 1.6 volt . I left the computer on all night and no crashes , usually leaving it on all night would crash it . I also ran a stress test on the ram and cpu and no crashes either .
    Hopefully after all this time the problem is now solved .
  5. Best answer
    If the memory is spec'd for 1.6V, it makes sense to set it at 1.6V. While you're at it, you may want to manually set the timings as well (for example, 9-9-9-24 or whatever your sticks are rated at).
  6. Hey ,
    I dont know all that much about computers and this was my first build . I would have assumed when i stick the ram in the slots then the mother board should send the correct voltage , I guess that doesnt happen all the time , ?? . the ram timings are at 9-9-9-24 .
    Since I changed the voltage everything is running perfectly and not one single crash yet ......finally :lol:
  7. GA-P55-UD5 http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1106042
    GA-P55A-UD5 http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1498815

Yeah, under or over voltage will have the same affect, but unless you changed the DRAM Frequency in the BIOS the RAM @ SPD {stock/default} 'should' run at 1.50v.

If you post the RAM part-number or preferably the link I or most anyone here can walk you though the correct BIOS settings for you RAM. Setting them properly will further aide in stability and performance.

Good Luck!

Use slots 1 & 3:
  8. Best answer selected by L Paton.
  9. Best answer selected by L Paton.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Intel i5 Blue Screen