Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Thermal grease after removing heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 28, 2010 4:25:16 AM

Hi,

I was in the midst of building my first PC when I realized my motherboard was incompatible with my RAM. I had already put the processor and heatsink into the motherboard, so when I removed the CPU and heatsink from the motherboard, there was thermal grease on both the CPU and heatsink. In my CPU instructions, it says I'll have to get thermal paste and reapply it. Will I have to do this even though I literally had the CPU and heatsink together for 25 minutes?

Hopefully everyone understands what I mean a it haha.

Thanks

Best solution

a c 107 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 6:30:46 AM

You will have to clean the thermal interface material off of both the CPU and the heatsink and reapply it according to the directions suggested by the thermal interface material manufacturer. If you just slap it back together without cleaning and reapplying the thermal interface material, you will have air bubbles trapped in the thermal interface material between the CPU and heatsink causing hotspots and higher CPU temperatures.
Share
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 11:43:03 AM

ZealotAssasin said:
Hi,

I was in the midst of building my first PC when I realized my motherboard was incompatible with my RAM. I had already put the processor and heatsink into the motherboard, so when I removed the CPU and heatsink from the motherboard, there was thermal grease on both the CPU and heatsink. In my CPU instructions, it says I'll have to get thermal paste and reapply it. Will I have to do this even though I literally had the CPU and heatsink together for 25 minutes?

Hopefully everyone understands what I mean a it haha.

Thanks

So you're going to replace the motherboard, rather than the ram ?
Odd
Score
0
Related resources
July 28, 2010 1:39:19 PM

You could get away with it, the temperatures won't be too much higher - certainly won't hurt anything.
If you're confused about how to remove it, q-tips and 99% isopropyl alcohol are cheap and do the trick.
Score
0
July 28, 2010 3:46:46 PM

delluser1 said:
So you're going to replace the motherboard, rather than the ram ?
Odd


Yeah I guess it is, I figure I want DDR3 memory rather than downgrade to DDR2 even if the performance increase isn't that huge. Thanks for the answers, I ordered some thermal paste!
Score
0
August 7, 2010 3:03:27 AM

Best answer selected by ZealotAssasin.
Score
0
September 24, 2010 3:45:12 AM

ZealotAssasin said:
Yeah I guess it is, I figure I want DDR3 memory rather than downgrade to DDR2 even if the performance increase isn't that huge. Thanks for the answers, I ordered some thermal paste!


Make sure and order proper thermal paste. I applied some and it did absolutely nothing. The best brand you should get is Arctic silver 5. Best thermal paste in my book. Good luck hope im not too late on the post to help you to buy the right thermal paste.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2010 5:15:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!